Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lufthansa CityLine question!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2006, 9:27 pm
Original Poster

Lufthansa CityLine question!

Hello, popping in from the US Airways forum. Will be flying on Lufthansa for first time. KRK-MUC-ORD

The KRK-MUC is a LH CityLine flight in the 3000's range on the Avro 85 RJ

How is this service. Never been on this aircraft. For some reason my seats cannot be assigned ahead of time, only at aiport. Howcome? Also, by looking at the seat map, why is there so many Buisness class seats, as many as coach! And buisness class seats are 3 and 3 configuration. What kind of premium cabin is that. Anyhow please anwser all my questions and Danke!
Old Jan 12, 2006, 10:42 pm

Programs: LH, SA, AA
The seats are the same upfront or in the back. They use a movable curtain devider to seperate C from Y so they can configure the plane according to demand. In C the middleseats will be left empty.

The service is standard LH service.

Hope this helps.
Old Jan 12, 2006, 10:44 pm
Original Poster

So thats Buisness Class! Urgh, that horrible! Is there any meal service or anything like that?
Old Jan 12, 2006, 11:25 pm

Programs: LH FTL
Welcome to European C-Class. AFAIK there with be a meal/snack-service and you should be able to get a few drinks.
Old Jan 12, 2006, 11:26 pm

Programs: LH, SPG
Yes, you will get a quick (most likely cold) meal and all the drinks you want. (It's a pretty short flight.) Intra-euro C is not great... but the empty middle seat is quite nice. I often hear Y passengers walking down the aisle ask each other: "Why would anyone pay for business class?". And I do ask myself that very same question from time to time...

Just as a side note: I'd take LH's intra-euro C any day over UA's Economy Plus. Yes, the legroom is better on the latter, but not bumping shoulders is more important to me personally.
Old Jan 13, 2006, 1:48 am

Programs: LH SEN, QF PS, Sixt , Bahn,...
Flying Intra-Euro C you have the following Benefits over C:
- Check in at the Business-Class Counter (If you are *G you can use the *G/First Counter)
- Later Check-In deadline
- Fast-Track Security on some Airports
- Access to the Businss-Class Lounge (If Available)
- If the Seat-Config is 3-3 the middle-seat is guaranteid blocked
- Much better Food than in Y
- Full Range of Drinks for Free (Wine, Beer, Champaign)
- Magazines (Mostly German, but they have some English as well
- Two pieces of Handluggage allowed (max 8kg!)
- More flexiblity in the Ticket
Old Jan 13, 2006, 2:11 am

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
Originally Posted by kinglobjaw
Much better than a Canadair Jet! (Actually, after lots of flights in C in CRJ's I now had a flight in Y - and guess what: it was far more comfortable than all the C flights as I got an exit row. Food was ok as well - two Laugenbrötchen with cheese)

SmilingBoy.
Old Jan 13, 2006, 4:07 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
I fly this same flight KRK-MUC at least 12-15x a year.
The flight is short, I would say 1hr 10min.
By the time you reach i think 29,000ft, and the FA serves the drinks, the plane starts to decend.
The flight is comfortable, never flew C class, cause for a hr flight to pay extra in my view is pointless. You get a sandwitch i think of cheese, a piece of lettuce, some butter on the bread. Nothing fancy, but still some food.

Checkin at KRK if i recall there is a business checkin, but 99% of the time there is no line to checkin. There is a executive lounge right after security BEFORE the passport control. If you are looking at the passport control, to the left behind you is the lounge. Its a nice lounge, free drinks, free net. The lounge is also PP.

But when you gly MUC-KRK, then I think you should be able to use LH lounge in MUC, which are real nice.

FYI, so far when Ive flown, the flight leaves from MUC Gate G84. When you fly from ORD you come in 1 floor below that, same terminal (if you fly in on LH or UA). You should have enough time if you take the 440pm flight ORD-MUC to hit the lounge. I always did.

If you have any other specific questions, PM me.
Old Jan 14, 2006, 7:35 am

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE

How is this service. Never been on this aircraft.
The Avro is a funny aircraft, a newer version of the BAe 146. The 85 denotes the number of passangers (no idea where the 146 comes from) in standard configuration. It has 4 small jet engines mounted under the wings. The reason these aircraft are still flying, I think, is that they need a very short runway and are relatively quiet outside. There is a lot of noice inside when the wheels are retracted. I personally like the CRJ:s and Fokkers better.

On medium haul CL flights the pax in C get much more attention than those in Y. On such a short flight there is no time for that I think.
Old Jan 14, 2006, 8:08 am

Programs: Lufthansa Senator, Hilton Diamond VIP, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by tsastor
The Avro is a funny aircraft, a newer version of the BAe 146. The 85 denotes the number of passangers (no idea where the 146 comes from) in standard configuration. It has 4 small jet engines mounted under the wings. The reason these aircraft are still flying, I think, is that they need a very short runway and are relatively quiet outside. There is a lot of noice inside when the wheels are retracted. I personally like the CRJ:s and Fokkers better.
The italians call it the Jumbolino. The plane itself looks like a shrunk version of the C-17 Globemaster. The main reason for the plane is that it has powerful engines allowing for shorter take-off distance, as well as being designed for steeper ascents/decents -- in other words it is easier to squeeze into some valley in the Alps or somewhere else.

Beware; if you are seated in rows 4-6; the overhead locker is particularily small here, as the room is occupied by the wing.
Old Jan 14, 2006, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by jason8612
FYI, so far when Ive flown, the flight leaves from MUC Gate G84. When you fly from ORD you come in 1 floor below that
Actually, the flights from ORD arrive at the H-Level, the highest level as they are non-schengen flights. However, how can a flight arrive one floor below of G84 as you mentioned? The level, where G84 is located, is the lowest level.

By the way, our guest "kinglobjaw" is flying KRK-MUC-ORD, not ORD-MUC-KRK. So, it is not important where he arrives from ORD and where his flight to KRK leaves.

@kinglobjaw: Usually, those cityline jets park at a remote position and you have to take the bus to the terminal. You'll leave the bus at the lowest level (where the bus gates like G84 are located) and take the escelator one level up to the main G-Level. You have to go another level up and through passport control to the H-Level. Here, your flight to ORD departs and here you'll find the Lufthansa lounges (to the left after passport control).
Old Jan 14, 2006, 9:56 am

Programs: LH Sen, PPS, FB Platinum, Enrich Silver, SPG Plat
So thats Buisness Class! Urgh, that horrible! Is there any meal service or anything like that?
Don't worry this flight will be better than anything you have ever experienced on US or American West. Actually I even prefer LH Y on shorthaul (less than 2hours) over American West or US Arirways F!

You will experience a flight in a clean aircraft with decent food and usually very friendly FAs. While you may sometimes have a friendly FA on US (even if it never really happened to me), you will NEVER have a clean aircraft or anything that even resembles food on US Airways.

Cheers, Stefan

Last edited by DFW-SEN; Jan 14, 2006 at 4:04 pm
Old Jan 14, 2006, 10:02 am

I second that!
The aircraft is clean, comfy, friendly staff.
Its really hard to compare European airlines to US ones. Europe wins hands down!
Old Jan 14, 2006, 10:09 am

Programs: SAS Gold, FB Gold, BA Gold, EY Silver
Originally Posted by jpberendes
Actually, the flights from ORD arrive at the H-Level, the highest level as they are non-schengen flights. However, how can a flight arrive one floor below of G84 as you mentioned? The level, where G84 is located, is the lowest level.
The G-level (with Gxx gates) is the Schengen level.
The H-level (with Hxx gates) is the non-Schengen level, above the Schengen level.

As both KRK and ORD are non-Schengen destinations, both flights will arrive at/depart from the non-Schengen level, i.e. the H-level.
Old Jan 14, 2006, 10:18 am

No, mine departed from g. It kinda had to as the bus took us to the plane. When it arrives, they load you to the bus and drive you to the gate.
Then you get off the bus and both front and rear doors are open to load.

I dont think the turmac will go that low to fit the plane

Last edited by jason8612; Jan 14, 2006 at 10:22 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.