Wiki Posts
Search

OS Lie Flat Seats and WiFi

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2005, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

OS Lie Flat Seats and WiFi

hi there,

from summer 2006 austrian airlines should have a new C on their longhaul fleet... here's the link (sorry only in german) http://www.miles-and-more.com/online...nodeid=1519313

cheers

sentom
Old Oct 3, 2005, 3:53 pm

Programs: LH SEN, QR Platinum, Bonvoy Plat, GHA Black, Hyatt Globalist
much, much too late...

That should have been done many years ago.

The current J-Class seats on OS A/C, in particular on the 767-300 are worse than that, what QF or SQ have introduced 10 years ago. I really have no idea in what museum they have found those seats.

Don't misunderstand me: I like OS, their smart flight attendants and their fantastic (Do&Co) food, but their seats are a nightmare....
Old Oct 4, 2005, 1:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
The same post is here in English: http://www.miles-and-more.com/online...nodeid=1524506

No indication of what the seat will be like - but probably the Privat Bed in another colour scheme??
Old Oct 5, 2005, 5:03 am
formerly vienna-resident
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by lhrpete
No indication of what the seat will be like - but probably the Privat Bed in another colour scheme??
According to an interview with one of the OS managers I read recently, it will be the same seats that LH has. Which doesn't really make me happy, as I was hoping they'd go further comfortwise (considering BA is in the process of introducing completly new BC soon and that their current seat is already better than LHs), which could make them on of Europe's leading airlines again.

Maybe one of the OS guys should fly LH BC longhaul and see how worn the seats look after just being around for a year or so - and how unreliable they still are.
Old Oct 5, 2005, 6:28 am

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
Originally Posted by vienna-resident
(considering BA is in the process of introducing completly new BC soon and that their current seat is already better than LHs)
That's your subjective view and my guess is that you are shorter than 1.83m (6 feet). I am taller and found the BA seats not comfortable at all, I couldn't lie in them on the back, they were to narrow to comfortably lie on the side and you can not set the seat to be slightly tilted (it would be too short due to the ottoman).

SmilingBoy.
Old Oct 5, 2005, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
Take off

The first Boeing 777 with the new reclining seats and Internet on board is wxpected to take off for Australia in summer 2006.
Will the NG 777's get the same treatment if they are being repainted in OS livery too? Any idea when I can get these seats to SYD?
Old Oct 5, 2005, 10:47 am

Programs: LH SEN, HH Silver VIP
Originally Posted by qasr
Will the NG 777's get the same treatment if they are being repainted in OS livery too? Any idea when I can get these seats to SYD?
OS has only 3 777 and they are the planes used for the VIE-SYD and VIE-MEL Service and sometimes for male. So you should be able to get the lie-flat seats in summer 2006 to syd ;-)

Regards,
rob_vie
Old Oct 5, 2005, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Olip
That should have been done many years ago.
well better now (or soon) than never, right?!
Old Oct 6, 2005, 4:02 am
formerly vienna-resident
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SmilingBoy
That's your subjective view and my guess is that you are shorter than 1.83m (6 feet). I am taller and found the BA seats not comfortable at all, I couldn't lie in them on the back, they were to narrow to comfortably lie on the side and you can not set the seat to be slightly tilted (it would be too short due to the ottoman).

SmilingBoy.
Actually, I am 1m 82cm
I just happen to sleep better on BA (especially since they made the seats softer) compared to the new tilted LH seat. I assume you prefer the new LH seat over the BA seat?
Old Oct 6, 2005, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by vienna-resident
I assume you prefer the new LH seat over the BA seat?
Yes!
Old Oct 6, 2005, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
Originally Posted by rob_vie
OS has only 3 777 and they are the planes used for the VIE-SYD and VIE-MEL Service and sometimes for male. So you should be able to get the lie-flat seats in summer 2006 to syd ;-)

Regards,
rob_vie
Thanks! Looking forward to it...assuming I can get that elusive I class seat
Old Nov 22, 2005, 6:05 am

Does anybody know from when all of the Australian routes will be equipped with lie flat seats?
Is it reasonable to expect a flight in October/November 2006 (to either Melbourne or Sydney) to have the new seats?

If only some of the flights have it, is there any chance to guess which ones will have it?

I am asking as I am trying to book an award ticket to Australia and apparently you need to book (very) well in advance and OS seems to be the only possibility to Australia where I can benefit of a Senator companion award. However, if they don't have the lie-flat seats, I'd rather spend the extra 80,000 miles and go with a different *A carrier.

If anybody has alternative suggestions for my travel plans to Australia, let me know!

SmilingBoy.
Old Nov 22, 2005, 8:26 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL Plat (comped), BD
Advice for OS Eco

Have been travelling OS Y last week on VIE-BKK on a seemingly historic 340 - the FAs were chatting about how Fleet management would never dare sending such an aircraft to the apparently more premium NY route

Coming to (my) topic: Can anybody enlighten me how I can secure an Exit row on OS longhaul? As in LH style, I first tried via phone check in - negative only at the aiport.

At check in TXL: Negative - only in VIE but will put "ability request" into system. Arriving VIE at the Lounge - negative, only at the gate. But proposed top put ability request into reservation, first one apparently was not really abilitating or she just wanted to show commitment, what do I know.

In any case, come back one hour before departure as check in opens then. Felixberlin coming back one hour before departure, agent calls gate, yes, SEN on list for Exit row.

I proposed going directly to gate, in case of a disappearing ability request, not necessary, she replied, I was skeptical, went there and you may make a guess:

Exit row taken. Aaargh I spent my entire day trying to snatch that seat and finally, zero. Have to point out that everybody I was dealing with was really helpful. But is there really no civilized process foreseen to get an Exit row - the only possibility being to start a siege on the gate two hours before departure, as it could already open early?

Thanks for listening and still more for advice as I am coming back on 14/12...

Btw, their new interiors look really really weird, especially when the funky fresh new look is unwillingly mixed with the old and worn, dark green interior of the aircraft. Methinks it its gonna be one of the rather short lived Corporate Design schemes...
Old Nov 22, 2005, 9:04 am

Programs: LH FTL, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Felixberlin
Have been travelling OS Y last week on VIE-BKK on a seemingly historic 340 - the FAs were chatting about how Fleet management would never dare sending such an aircraft to the apparently more premium NY route
Definitely not true in the past! Flew the "ancient" A-340-200 twice on quite prestigious routes in 2003. In February they sent it to JFK and in August to NRT. A really horrible experience. The interior has these extremely disgusting late 80ies colours. A brownish red and this strange beige plastic. Yuck!

But as they lost me as a valued costumer a long time ago (due to inconsistent service and severe delays and cancellings) i have no recent experiences with them on any longhaul flight.

greetings from germany,
thomas
Old Nov 22, 2005, 10:38 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by SmilingBoy
Does anybody know from when all of the Australian routes will be equipped with lie flat seats?
Is it reasonable to expect a flight in October/November 2006 (to either Melbourne or Sydney) to have the new seats?
The 777 will be the first aircraft to go for the refit and all 3 will be ready in summer 2006. As OS flies these birds exclusively to australia, you are right in expecting the lie flat seats.

The next round of refits will be the 767s. These will appear in Nov 2006 on the Asian/North American routes.

The 332 are meant to fly to north america (ORD, IAD) and the 343 to longhaul asia (BKK,NRT) but fleet management and maintainance forces them to send 332s to BKK sometimes. Takes a few days to fix the rotation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.