Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

Lufthansa CEO Wolfgang Mayrhuber′s strange behavior this afternoon on flight LH 3558

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lufthansa CEO Wolfgang Mayrhuber′s strange behavior this afternoon on flight LH 3558

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2005, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HON, OS/LH/LX/LO Miles & More
Exclamation Lufthansa CEO Wolfgang Mayrhuber′s strange behavior this afternoon on flight LH 3558

This afternoon the door of the fully booked flight LH 3558 was reopened after the airplane was ready to taxi to the runway. Someone from MUC-Airport enters the cockpit and after just a short while the Captain makes the following announcement: “My CEO Wolfgang Mayrhuber just asked me to wait for him, he will arrive in a while. I have to apologize for the upcoming delay, but I have no other choice…”
Now a full loaded Boeing 737 is waiting for the Lufthansa CEO. We all paid for our tickets and many of us, including myself, we have evening appointments in Vienna. Finally Wolfgang Mayrhuber shows up, the door is closed, Wolfgang Mayrhuber enters the Cockpit to say hello to his crew on the flight deck, shakes the hands of his cabin crew and sits down just some rows behind me in C-class. No apology, no single friendly word to a fully booked flight, to his clients (!!) who all paid for a their various tickets, to people who finally pay some of Wolfgang Mayrhuber bills. How can the CEO of one of the biggest airlines worldwide by mistake think this scheduled flight is his private jet. He is just the CEO, that’s it, he does not own Lufthansa. For me this behaviour is rather arrogant. A man who is responsible for 90.000 employees worldwide should not act that way.
Finally we arrive 40 minutes late in Vienna and I of course miss my appointment… This makes me sad and until now I do not understand, why the LH-CEO himself is also directly responsible for this huge delay. His duty should be to bring us save, quick and punctual to our booked destination. Frequent flyers like me and you out there, pay finally the bills and at LH the best clients (HONs and the Top-SENs) generate approximately 17% of turnover of Lufthansa’s “passage”.

Now it’s your turn, I am curious to read your comments on that …

Regards
Old Sep 29, 2005, 2:59 pm

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Amazing.

Thanks for sharing the information about this incident.

Somehow, this fits my picture of what I have read and seen of that guy, and it is fully in line with the treatment LH and Miles and More have displayed towards their customers since this guy took over. He's full of it.

In fact, I think this would be a good story for the German press.
Old Sep 29, 2005, 3:17 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Somehow I doubt this is the first or last time an airline CEO behaves this way.
Old Sep 29, 2005, 3:29 pm

Programs: Amex, Avis, BA, BD, CX, FS, Hertz, HH, IC, LH, NH, RC, RCCL, Sixt, SPG, SQ, UA
I bet Mr. Mayrhuber had an evening appointment in VIE as well.

He flies LH commercially, which costs the company almost nothing. He did not take the LH Private jet, chartered from Netjets. He acted in the shareholders interest, but he at the same time inconvenienced 100+ customers with a 40 minute delay.

You cannot make all stakeholders happy at the same time.
Old Sep 29, 2005, 3:41 pm
Suspended

The costs arising out of a potentially long delay , especially into VIE with such a low MCT and the later flights do not justify the expenses saved by not going on a private jet...
Old Sep 29, 2005, 3:44 pm

Programs: LH HON, AF FB Platinum
This really strange occurrence makes me remembering a weird thing which happened to me I think in 1989. Checking in my F-class-flight from JFK to FRA I've been told, that I will be rebooked to another flight because this flight is full. I have to wait for three more hours. As I had a confirmed flight, I asked what has happened. The check in staff didn't want to give me an information. So I asked for the LH station manager. After insisting he told me, that the LH CEO Heinz Ruhnau had disposed that his daughter would need a seat in the fully booked F-cabin. As I had been the last one to check in, they denied to give me the last F-seat.
After longer discussions I've got the further information, that Ruhnau's daughter had a 10%-ticket with standby-status. As I insisted getting my seat, the station manager had a long and tough discussion with the LH headquarter in Germany. At least he told his boss, that the flight will not start with Ruhnau's daughter but with me. And so it happened. 16 years later once again I have to thank this courageous guy in JFK.
Cheers Luigi
Old Sep 29, 2005, 3:45 pm

Programs: :enrolleyes:+, :drôleyes:
Originally Posted by attorney28
Somehow, this fits my picture of what I have read and seen of that guy, and it is fully in line with the treatment LH and Miles and More have displayed towards their customers since this guy took over. He's full of it.
^
Old Sep 29, 2005, 3:50 pm

Programs: LH HON, AF FB Platinum
Originally Posted by flamboyant 1
I bet Mr. Mayrhuber had an evening appointment in VIE as well.

He flies LH commercially, which costs the company almost nothing. He did not take the LH Private jet, chartered from Netjets. He acted in the shareholders interest, but he at the same time inconvenienced 100+ customers with a 40 minute delay.

You cannot make all stakeholders happy at the same time.

I've missed some LH connecting flight with less than 20 minutes. For me they did not wait that long when I came in late due to technical problems with LH metal. And I am busy as well when I'm flying.
Old Sep 29, 2005, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by The Ratpack
“My CEO Wolfgang Mayrhuber just asked me to wait for him, he will arrive in a while. I have to apologize for the upcoming delay, but I have no other choice…”

I can imagine that this time His Majesty "The Wolf" didn't have the time to serve coffee to all the passengers! Short flight.
Old Sep 29, 2005, 4:36 pm
rag

If you are upset, tell it to the press. I would love to read that story somewhere other than FT... But I also guess that in this case the first guy who gets into trouble will be the pilot who told the truth...
Old Sep 29, 2005, 5:19 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by rag
... But I also guess that in this case the first guy who gets into trouble will be the pilot who told the truth...
That's actually the only thing about this story that really surprised me -- that the pilot was so forthcoming about the reason for the delay. Good for him.
Old Sep 29, 2005, 5:25 pm

Programs: No more status...just doing my best in burning my points/miles.
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
That's actually the only thing about this story that really surprised me -- that the pilot was so forthcoming about the reason for the delay. Good for him.

Maybe he was dusgusted as we are.
Old Sep 29, 2005, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by party_boy
Maybe he was dusgusted as we are.
I have not met one LH employee yet, who likes this guy.

But anyway, why did none of the passengers on this plane talk to him directly while he was there? Make him feel what his customers think about his behavior might be embarressing enough to keep him from doing it again.
Old Sep 29, 2005, 6:16 pm

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Originally Posted by ulev
One thing I really dislike is his shameless self-aggrandization in every LH (exclusive) magazine (just look at the photos). It seemed to me that Mr. Weber had a much more modest approach.

But anyway, why did none of the passengers on this plane talk to him directly while he was there? Make him feel what his customers think about his behavior might be embarressing enough to keep him from doing it again.
I would definitely have given him a piece of my mind...

I really hope this makes it to Bild or Der Spiegel.
Old Sep 29, 2005, 6:40 pm

Hey ulev, check BP_cosmopolitan's post (#78) out!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.