Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is there a way to purchase LH Club Membership?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2005, 7:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: US 3
Is there a way to purchase LH Club Membership?

I know you can do it for UA and US, but I can't seem to find anything on the LH website........

Thanks.
Old Sep 5, 2005, 7:44 am

Programs: M&M/S SPG livetime gold, but not running behind status & points anymore! Now only book value for $
Originally Posted by macska
I know you can do it for UA and US, but I can't seem to find anything on the LH website........

Thanks.
I have read a post here that someone was offered SEN for around 2000 Euro.
Don´t know if this is true, but if, it would be never worth it ( for me ! ).
Old Sep 5, 2005, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by bertheike
I have read a post here that someone was offered SEN for around 2000 Euro.
Don´t know if this is true, but if, it would be never worth it ( for me ! ).
It used to be that at the end of your SEN - Status period - if you had not requalified within either of the two last years as SEN, you could extend your Status for another year in which you would enjoy being a SEn and hopefully requalify. The cost was DM 3000 which I believe was changed to € 1500.

In addition if you are female and become pregnant you can have your status extended by a year - this without costs.

For the OP - assuming that you refer with club to the UA Red Carpet Club and not to the FFP Mileage Plus per se - there is a difference in that with LH and most other non US airlines - you gain access through your loyalty = status to the airline to the respective lounges - the more loyal you are the better the facilities and contents of the lounges become - FTL lounges -> SEN - lounges -> HON lounges.
It is a perk that is earned and can not be bought. Only exception are of course the C- Class lounges - access can be bought indirectly - by buying a C Class TIX.
Your membership = access last as long as you have status.

Cheers

Thomas
Old Sep 5, 2005, 9:03 am

Programs: BA Gold; VA Velocity Gold; LH FTL; Marriott Gold; ICHG Platinum AMB; Hilton Gold

Thanks.
European airlines rarely, if ever, sell club memberships in the way that US carriers do. None of Lufthansa, SAS, BMI, LOT, Austrian and Swiss, the European members of Star Alliance, sell club membership.

Instead, lounges are reserved for those booked into Business or First class, or for those who have earned frequent flyer status with the airline. If you get Star Alliance Gold status with any Star Alliance airline (flying at least 35 to 50,000 miles per year) then you will get access free of charge.

The nearest thing to buying club membership is a program called Priority Pass. this allows you to pay a one-off fee for club/lounge access worldwide. Most of the time, the lounges you will have access to are run by the airport, not the airline, and are often (though not always) of a lower quality than the airline lounge.
Old Sep 5, 2005, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
I think US based airlines are legally forced to offer club membership against cash payments.

United e.g. prices the Red Carpet club at USD 500 annually for non-elite flyers.
Old Sep 5, 2005, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US 3
In addition if you are female and become pregnant you can have your status extended by a year - this without costs.
What if you are male and become pregnant? Seriously, though, I find 1500 Euro outrageous when you can buy the same thing through US or UA for about $500. You just need to be flying on a Star Alliance carrier to use the clubs.
Old Sep 5, 2005, 10:49 pm

What if you are male and become pregnant? Seriously, though, I find 1500 Euro outrageous when you can buy the same thing through US or UA for about $500. You just need to be flying on a Star Alliance carrier to use the clubs.
But your not just buying club membership your buying another year of SEN, so Star Alliance Gold membership which is worth alot more than just Lounge access.
Old Sep 6, 2005, 12:21 am

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
If you're male and your spouse is pregnant, same thing. It's about allowing the caregiver (male or female) a break because they're spending time with their newborn and can't fly often enough to renew status.

And club membership / lounge access is not the same thing with US / UA. First off, with US and UA there is nearly always a seat available. Second, US's / UA's care and feeding in the lounge is not quite up there with LH. Having said that, €1500 is arguably too much IMO as well.
Old Sep 6, 2005, 1:38 am
Suspended

Indeed the US carriers are obliged by law to offer a club membership to everybody willing to pay a few hundred $.
Old Sep 6, 2005, 5:46 am

Programs: M&M/S SPG livetime gold, but not running behind status & points anymore! Now only book value for $
Originally Posted by ntddevsys
But your not just buying club membership your buying another year of SEN, so Star Alliance Gold membership which is worth alot more than just Lounge access.
could you please explain what means alot more than just Lounge access ?
I see no real other perk. May be if you need the guaranteed " full fare" seat within 24/48 h., but who really needs that.
Is here any SEN, who can say that just beeing SEN he is more often upgradet?
And the option that the seat next to a SEN stays free, is also only if they have availability! I never feeled served better just beeing a SEN.
Old Sep 6, 2005, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by bertheike
could you please explain what means alot more than just Lounge access ?
I see no real other perk. May be if you need the guaranteed " full fare" seat within 24/48 h., but who really needs that.
Is here any SEN, who can say that just beeing SEN he is more often upgradet?
And the option that the seat next to a SEN stays free, is also only if they have availability! I never feeled served better just beeing a SEN.
Sorry to be personal - but can you actually do anything else than whine about all aspects LH M&M ???

As a SEN you get:
- 25 % Bonus on accrued mileage
- Waitlist priority
- Overdraft facility of 50 K - Bertheike - care to explain why it is not 160K anymore ?
- 2 eVouchers - for Upgrade either 1 Intercontinental or two intra european flights
- Compagnon award - meaning second person flies for half the mileage as the SEN
- Additional lugguage allowance
- Use of F / C class check in - when traveling in Y
- Guaranteed seats in C or Y = 48 or 72 hours

To some of us this actually is more than nothing - and whilst this is about frequent travelling - there is more than free upgrades to measurw perks on.

Cheers

Thomas
Old Sep 6, 2005, 11:46 pm

Programs: M&M SEN
Originally Posted by tcswede
Sorry to be personal - but can you actually do anything else than whine about all aspects LH M&M ???

As a SEN you get:
- Waitlist priority
- Overdraft facility of 50 K - Bertheike - care to explain why it is not 160K anymore ?
- 2 eVouchers - for Upgrade either 1 Intercontinental or two intra european flights

To some of us this actually is more than nothing - and whilst this is about frequent travelling - there is more than free upgrades to measurw perks on.

Cheers

Thomas

Agree with Thomas.
Since I became SEN, I got upgraded more often, I used the companion award to book a flight in F to SIN (which I would not be able to 'pay' without this feature) and used the mileage overdraft for this as well. Using the F Class checkin-counter sometimes makes sense since the queues are much shorter...

So from my point of view, SEN is not too bad. However, I would never pay 1500 Euros for 1 year. Maybe I would spend the money in a good mileage run and become SEN anyway

Regards
Alex.
Old Sep 7, 2005, 3:42 am

Originally Posted by tcswede

As a SEN you get:
- Waitlist priority

Cheers

Thomas
Dear Thomas,

As a SEN you get:
+ this you also get with BD , and there the spending/earning ratio is much better.
- Waitlist priority
+I never needed. Or it never helped to clear a waitlist for us .
+worthless for us at the moment, will not explain now
+M&L just changed the old rule bevore we accumulated the 50k, and now I have 1 e voucher which I can´t use. For me no difference sitting in the first rows or in the back on short flights. And I qualified for SEN until 2008 back in April, but the next 2 vouchers I not get bevore Feb 06.
+I agree this is not worthless if you travel together, but again, if you compare BD´s DC the most miles needed for a reward are less and you can use cash and miles there.
+personaly never used, traveling in C and F with 30 / 40kg ! I like to travel with handluggage only, that makes my way out faster.
+some times I use, but I also some times check in with a F/C ticket at the Y-check in.
+I never needed, would like to know how many pay full fare Y

+I never wrote "it is nothing worth", I just asked what perk is worth so much more?
That is my point of view

Last edited by bertheike; Sep 7, 2005 at 3:57 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.