Wiki Posts
Search

Member Gets Member- a Scam?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2005, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Miles and More
Member Gets Member- a Scam?

I'm frustrated with Lufthansa as they refuse to credit me with two Member Gets Member promotions I completed with them. I subsequently took flights with both parties- so I know they logged 3k!!!!

The first- I signed up my Mom as we travel two or three times to Gdansk, Poland each year. First, it took not days but weeks- not to mention actual snail mail, for them to allow her to GET a temporary card.

They STILL haven't posted her miles from a February roundtrip from JFK to Gdansk. We'll see where that goes. At least right now they acknowledge she's a member.

Then, there's my boyfriend. We actually booked tickets to Lisbon using my temporary Miles and More number and completed the trip. Since then, miraculously, I've gotten a physical card now- but, after emailing Lufthansa, I'm told, there's "no record" they responded to my recruiting email which of course I did send through Lufthansa's /MM site. How else would I send it?

No record of either of these!

I fly on business to Gdansk three times a year- in the future it could be more-yes, economy for now- and this is just infuriating to me. I can fly any airline I want- and SAS is better than Lufthansa.

What's the point of steering people towards the Star Alliance if it doesn't honor simple promotions like this? I've asked them both and since I feel annoyed in the first place to be recruiting anyone for anything, I made sure to explain to them that it honestly would be very helpful & I'd really appreciate it if they did it. They were both kind enough to respond by becoming Miles and More Members- but, I can't get credit for it.

I've had to struggle and send copies of tickets physically three times now. Once they told me my mom couldn't be a member because there was already a member at the address. I'm like, "Yeah, schmuck! That'd be ME! The reason you SOLD THOSE PLANE TICKETS!!!!!!"

Anyway. Is there hope?

Whose gotten Member Gets Member due credit?

And thanks to someone here, I got a "Spring" promo- but I'll tell you- It's all been a real hassle from day one.

h

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Jul 13, 2005 at 8:03 pm Reason: some minor edits for bad language
Old Jul 14, 2005, 12:52 am

Programs: LH FTL (*S), AA, Sixt Plat, bahn.comfort
No problems

I've had never problems with three times 'Member gets member'. All miles were posted immediately (on the day of the flight) to me and my friends, the plastic cards arrived within some weeks (within Germany) --> no problems!

I think, you are just in bad luck...
Old Jul 14, 2005, 2:34 am

I had a similar issue with recommending a new member to M&M. I registered a friend, who followed the instructions in the e-mail sent to him by M&M.
Then he flew to the US collecting a lot of miles, which have been credited immediately upon arrival. Weeks passed by and I did not see the miles on my account. I contacted the helpdesk, which needed a lot of time to reply. After weeks they informed me, that I am not eligible for the miles, because my friend did not use the link provided in the first e-mail he got from M&M. Therefore the system wasn't capable to link our accounts, thus they were not entitled to credit the miles. I asked the friend, who told me, that he had used the link in the mail. I wrote again, and insisted on receiving the miles, because everything seems to be done correctly. After weeks I got another mail confirming that I will get the 2000 miles, because they granted a one-time exception for me. I was deeply overwhelmed!

Conclusion: Never give up, try again and again if you feel you're right!

Last edited by OS-A330; Jul 18, 2005 at 2:57 am
Old Jul 14, 2005, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Miles and More
Thanks for sharing your experience- I'll update this if anything results from it & try again. I guess the reason why I'm frustrated is that Miles and More is really the only program that makes sense for my usual destinations. It would just be nice if it worked a bit more smoothly!
Old Jul 14, 2005, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by OS-A330
I had a similar issue with recommending a new member to M&M. I registered a friend, who followed the instructions in the e-mail sent to him by M&M.
Then he flew to the US collecting a lot of miles, which have been credited immediately upon arrival. Weeks passed by and I did not see the miles on my account. I contacted the helpdesk, which needed a lot of time to reply. After weeks they informed me, that I am not eligible for the miles, because my friend did not use the link provided in the first e-mail he got from M&M. Therefore the system wasn't capable to link our accounts, thus they were not entitled to credit the miles. I asked the friend, who told me, that he had used the link in the mail. I wrote again, and insisted of receiving the miles, because everything seems to be done correctly. After weeks I got another mail confirming that I will get the 2000 miles, because they granted a one-time exception for me. I was deeply overwhelmed!

Conclusion: Never give up, try again and again if you feel you're right!
Had the same experience just a few days ago. After recommending my brother we both recieved our miles, but with recomemmding my mom I ran into problems. I sent her the link and did the whole process of registering her myself. This means I can be absolutely sure that I used the link. After she she collected about 20000 miles, she recieved the Blue card and her welcome miles I wrote to M&M about my miles. A few days ago they sent me the same reply, that the link was not used. So maybe I should write again.....
Old Jul 15, 2005, 4:28 pm

Programs: LH M&M FTL
I had the same issue in March with a friend of mine. They told that he probably clicked on the wrong link. As the friend is not 2years old, I knew exactly that he made the right thing. So I called LH. A few days later I received a letter telling me that they can't credit the miles for me. So, after TWO more letters, I finally received my miles (and my friend too).

So, I was at least stubborn like a donkey and it paid. I know its not a big deal for those 2000 miles, but it was a question of principles. I told LH that I don't care for the miles, but that they must give the miles to the friend who flew transatlantic.

Anyway, after a lot of calling and writing, I had a positive answer.

I don't know whats going on with M&M, but I had a lot of problems with them this year. Giving me miles for the wrong booking class, or, as usual, forgetting to credit the miles.
Old Jul 15, 2005, 5:41 pm
txl

Programs: AB Plat (OWE), AY Silver (OWR)
This is all very strange. Everyone seems to be getting the same answer: accounts weren´t linked due to a member-caused mistake in the process of registering for the promo.
Surprise, surprise: me too. Just under a year ago, a cousin of mine who knew I am a member and who started travelling on business was considerate enough to think of the promo, flew a lot more than enough miles - and Lufthansa refuses to credit the extra miles, giving us the same explanation everyone else here got. To top it off, they didn´t even credit him the welcome miles. I was gonna let it go, because none of us was really interested enough in those miles to waste the time - but after reading this thread I won´t, for I now have to suspect that LH made a serious programming mistake (because we would never assume that LH tries to lure people with miles they never intended to give away, specially since they are so obliging in this matter).
BTW, when I first called LH to inquire about the missing miles, the (not too friendly) agent told me that this was a special promo for a limited time that, in his opinion, had started recently . Was happy to inform him that I got M&M new members back in the day when they didn´t even have a website!
Old Jul 17, 2005, 8:09 am

Programs: AAdv GLD(MM), QF LTS, UA MP_nada, HH Gld, SPG, GoldenCircle Jade
I am about to join M&M, and have a question. Does this bonus require that I as a new member fly/earn 3000 miles by Dec 31 2005 or that I am referred and sign-up by Dec 31 2005?
Old Jul 17, 2005, 9:58 am

Programs: LH SEN, HH Silver VIP
Originally Posted by alect
I am about to join M&M, and have a question. Does this bonus require that I as a new member fly/earn 3000 miles by Dec 31 2005 or that I am referred and sign-up by Dec 31 2005?
it means you must be referred (& signed up) by 31st of Dec 2005. From the time of signing up, you have 12 months to collect 3000 miles to get the bonus.

if you want to be referred, PM please.

regards,
rob_vie
Old Jul 17, 2005, 10:02 am

Programs: LH [FTL]
Smile

Originally Posted by alect
Does this bonus require that I as a new member fly/earn 3000 miles by Dec 31 2005 or that I am referred and sign-up by Dec 31 2005?
According to the LH website, you are required to be signed up by Dec 31, 2005. From the day you join M&M, you have 12 months to collect the 3,000 miles needed.
If you want to join, I would be more than happy to recommend you :-) Just send me a PM.
Old Mar 3, 2006, 9:18 am

Programs: M&M SEN, AA*G, HH*S
[Gone back and forth with them on this a number of times. They have been very uncooperative, coming up with all sorts of excuses. Be persistent.
Old Mar 3, 2006, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Waiting for the 2k post since 6 weeks when a friend of mine completed a flight to Brasil !

He already recieved his prermanent card...!

Enquired today with LH customer service and waiting for response
Old Mar 7, 2006, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Ok by this answer I see what kind of waste I'm part of !

They told me: Sorry but the application of Mr. XXX was processed by a usual way and shows no relation to your account !

Sorry, but I filled the formular by myself after my friend recieved the link in his mailbox. Again 2k miles lost, but this shows me how right I was not to extend status with LH.
Old Mar 7, 2006, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
They told me: Sorry but the application of Mr. XXX was processed by a usual way and shows no relation to your account !
I'm old and grey, and my memory is faint, but aren't there several ancient threads dealing with this very problem?
Old Mar 7, 2006, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Obviously... It'll gain to a larger problem for LH on one day!

2k miles are not much but it's the confidence that M&M is loosing with actions like this !

Not worth to waste minds and time anymore...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.