Preferred Seating in Economy LH B747s & A340s

Old Mar 11, 2005, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Preferred Seating in Economy LH B747s & A340s

Oh, please fix the Search function...Google doesn't cut it!

Question: Is there a cabin designated for elites in the economy section of LH's longhauls, 747s in particular, 340s as well? Can STARGolds and STARSilvers in other programs also book seats here if it exists?

Otherwise, what recommendations do people have for 747 back cabin travelers, beyond "upgrade". I notice that 33A and K have nothing in front of them to accommodate the missing seat at the emergency exits in row 32. Are these two really as good as they look?

I have to do the FRA-JNB-FRA flight next month -- LH not SAA codeshare -- but unfortunately in the back. LH's reputation preceeds it vis a vis its notorious economy cabin long haul seating...

Thanks for suggestions.

Also, while I'm at it, can one standby for a sameday earlier intra-Germany flight when flying on a M or B fare?
Old Mar 11, 2005, 11:28 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
I can answer some of your questions:
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Question: Is there a cabin designated for elites in the economy section of LH's longhauls, 747s in particular, 340s as well? Can STARGolds and STARSilvers in other programs also book seats here if it exists?
There is no such separate cabin. (i.e. no eco+ or anything like it.) You can reserve specific seats in economy class in advance on LH longhaul flights though.
Also, while I'm at it, can one standby for a sameday earlier intra-Germany flight when flying on a M or B fare?
Yes, as long as the fare basis permits changes free of charge and the booking class is available on your desired flight.
Oh, please fix the Search function...Google doesn't cut it!
Agreed!
Old Mar 11, 2005, 11:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL Plat (comped), BD
Otherwise, what recommendations do people have for 747 back cabin travelers, beyond "upgrade". I notice that 33A and K have nothing in front of them to accommodate the missing seat at the emergency exits in row 32. Are these two really as good as they look?
I got 33K to GRU last october and it certainly is the way to go. Apart from having the extra legroom, you are (as a slim person) able to access your seat via the free space you got in front of you.

In any case, certainly the best Lufthansa Y seat when travelling alone

Greetings,

felix
Old Mar 11, 2005, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Thanks guys, while I knew there was no enhanced cabin ala E+ or WT+, I did wonder what LH elites feel is the best option in the back so thanks for confirming AJLondon. Will have to check the fare class details about the standby option, though I will not likely get to the airport much earlier than I must from downtown Munich.

And welcome to you, Felixberlin. I wonder what status one needs to snag one of these two seats? My TA is confirming dates later this afternoon, then I shall call LH to see if either seat is still available. Fortunately my wasteline is still slim enough to permit access through the gap [at least on the flight down, coming back...?]
Old Mar 11, 2005, 1:28 pm

Programs: Amex, Avis, BA, BD, CX, FS, Hertz, HH, IC, LH, NH, RC, RCCL, Sixt, SPG, SQ, UA
Important question for the A 340.

How is row 23 on the planes where it is the first row of Economy. I am travelling with four friends, reserved in 23 DEGHK.

Is there IFE in the wall ?

Monitor on the ceiling you probably cannot see from there. How is the distance to the bulkhead ? How much space ?

Is row 30, exit row near to all Y lavatories better ?

How badly will I suffer ?

Why are there only three seats in the middle in row 23 ?
Old Mar 12, 2005, 12:33 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by flamboyant 1
Important question for the A 340.

How is row 23 on the planes where it is the first row of Economy. I am travelling with four friends, reserved in 23 DEGHK.

Is there IFE in the wall ?

Monitor on the ceiling you probably cannot see from there. How is the distance to the bulkhead ? How much space ?

Is row 30, exit row near to all Y lavatories better ?

How badly will I suffer ?

Why are there only three seats in the middle in row 23 ?

If you are on the 3 class 340, row 23 is the first row in Y. IFE right in front of you in some aircraft on LCD screens, or TV fitted to the ceiling in others. Bulkhead is maybe 5 inches more space advantage. The row after bulkhead is more interesting: more legspace for seats D&G, no separators under row 23 (normal rows have separators for each seat, reducing legspace). Row 23 also has fixed armrests for the traytable.

Row 30 is fun with tons of space, and if you ask nicely they allow you to keep you handluggage on the floor for leg support and to keep lavatory waiters out of you face.
Old Mar 12, 2005, 2:51 pm

Programs: Amex, Avis, BA, BD, CX, FS, Hertz, HH, IC, LH, NH, RC, RCCL, Sixt, SPG, SQ, UA
3 class, for six hours to DXB row 23 will be ok,

many thanks for the info.
Old Mar 13, 2005, 7:41 am

Just to make sure, will there be no movie projected onto the wall right in front of us ?

TV on ceiling you probably cannot see from row 23.
Old Mar 13, 2005, 8:58 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Just to make sure, will there be no movie projected onto the wall right in front of us ?

TV on ceiling you probably cannot see from row 23.
LH has long stopped projecting anything. They use only TVs since about 10-15 years.
Old Mar 13, 2005, 9:48 am

I am glad you are able to confirm this. Thanks.

How close is the bulkhead ? Is it really 5 inch more ?
Is it more recommendable to go one row back to be able to slide feet under the row in front ?

And are the 23 HK seats at the window an equal distance from the bulkhead as the three in the middle ?
Old Mar 13, 2005, 10:57 am

I am glad you are able to confirm this. Thanks.

How close is the bulkhead ? Is it really 5 inch more ?
Is it more recommendable to go one row back to be able to slide feet under the row in front ?

And are the 23 HK seats at the window an equal distance from the bulkhead as the three in the middle ?
I always like the 16A/K or 23 A/K seat as the bulkhead gives a little more space and no one reclines on you. Never sat in the middle bulkhead, but to me it looked more spacious. The separation between Y&C in the 343 is not that massive. Its more like a partition. The first row is very nice if there are no kiddies around. Ask the checkin people if infants have been placed in the front. If so, go for some other seat!

But as you said for the DXB flight there should be no major upset
Old Mar 13, 2005, 12:52 pm

Many thanks Oliver. Infant seats will be row 31 in the middle I was told on the phone by LH.

We have the three seats in the middle and HK for my group of five.

Back we are in 23 ACDEG. So no infants there.
Old Mar 14, 2005, 3:09 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by oliver2002
I always like the 16A/K or 23 A/K seat as the bulkhead gives a little more space and no one reclines on you.

But as you said for the DXB flight there should be no major upset
I took that same flight DXB-FRA on a 343 and I had reservations for 24B which I was quite keen on. Showed up and without explanation was put into 23B (bulkhead). I don't like this row as much as oliver2002 seems to though preferences differ. True the bulkhead gives you a bit more space and no one reclines on you but the worst drawback is that you can't stretch your legs at all because of the divider wall between Y and C. Don't even consider putting your leg into the aisle as they will slam the food or drinks car right into it. If you are quite tall (not that I'm - just average height) than this is a real pain IMO. IFE is a joke anyway, so the TV screens in front of you should do just fine.

Cheers

Last edited by demue; Mar 14, 2005 at 3:12 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.