The Definitive PAYBACK Thread

Old Jun 26, 2022, 11:09 am

Programs: AA LT Plt, IHG Diamond, former LH HON (now Silver, Bonvoy Gold getting to Plat)
Did the FOCUS deal when it was active in 2022 (actually the only German mag I read) and credits were given on PB right away
Old Jun 27, 2022, 7:34 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by IsleSeat
I have transferred 75000 AMEX points into Payback and did the 25% transfer to M+M after completion. How often can I make this transfer within the promotional period from Payback to M+M, will it only work ONCE or can I do this several times?
Reason is, I have a bunch of Payback points left and all I use them for is M+M
You can do it multiple times, the limit of 75000 applies to the 25% bonus. If you transfer more than 20-25000 points the transaction goes to a (manual?) queue and take 2-3 working days to transfer. Anything below that shows up the next day. I usually move my PB balance to M&M the first week of the 25% bonus promo period and then move 4000+ P just a few days before the promo ends.

Konditionen

• Im Aktionszeitraum vom 01. bis zum 30.06.2022 erhalten Miles & More Teilnehmer:innen, die mindestens 4.000 PAYBACK Punkte in einer Transaktion in Prmienmeilen umwandeln, zustzlich 25% der umgewandelten PAYBACK Punkte in Prmienmeilen gutgeschrieben. Eine Aufsummierung mehrerer Transaktionen auf die Mindestpunktanzahl im Aktionszeitraum qualifiziert nicht fr die Gutschrift der zustzlichen Prmienmeilen.
  • Dieses Angebot gilt nur fr die Miles & More Partner PAYBACK Deutschland und PAYBACK Austria und nur fr Miles & More Teilnehmer:innen mit Wohnsitz und Miles & More Konto in Deutschland oder sterreich. Es knnen nur PAYBACK Punkte in dem Land gesammelt werden, in dem die Teilnehmer:innen fr das Programm angemeldet sind.
  • Die Umwandlung von PAYBACK Punkten in Prmienmeilen ist bereits ab 200 PAYBACK Punkten mglich. Fr die Umwandlung ist die Teilnahme an beiden Programmen notwendig.
  • Pro Miles & More Teilnehmer:in ist die Hhe der zustzlichen Meilengutschrift auf maximal 75.000 Prmienmeilen limitiert.
  • Die Meilengutschrift erfolgt 4 bis 6 Wochen nach Ende des Aktionszeitraums.
IsleSeat likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 7:45 am

Programs: Aeroplan, M&M
Is the rumour that I heard that Lufthansa is 50% owner of Payback true, or just that (a false rumour)?
Old Jul 1, 2022, 7:49 am

Programs: M&M

Folks - any ideas why payback.pl - says I only have 357pts, not the full 1000pts I really have, when I try to convert to M&M?
Old Jul 1, 2022, 7:53 am

Programs: AA LT Plt, IHG Diamond, former LH HON (now Silver, Bonvoy Gold getting to Plat)
it is American Express...who owns PB

Last edited by IsleSeat; Jul 1, 2022 at 7:59 am
Old Jul 1, 2022, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by bertles86

Folks - any ideas why payback.pl - says I only have 357pts, not the full 1000pts I really have, when I try to convert to M&M?
I think that you have the points, but they are locked for some time and later released
bertles86 likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 9:47 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Originally Posted by mashlakito
Is the rumour that I heard that Lufthansa is 50% owner of Payback true, or just that (a false rumour)?
Payback was set up by an enterpreneur in Munich around 2003 when the German laws on rebates were liberalised. At the time they approached LH/M&M for support/co-operation (M&M was initally set up as MMI in Bermuda because of the pre-2003 laws). M&M never took a stake, but offered to swap miles against P and support the idea. Sometime around 2010-11 Amex took over Payback.

In 2012 M&M migrated their database to Payback Loyalty Partner Solutions, which uses/markets the IT of Payback.
IMH likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 1:00 pm

Programs: LH MM SEN & many others+++
how I got burned by payback

Very happy with myself, I booked 3x different subscriptions to different Burda magazines. I instantly got the bonus of 12000P for one subscription. The rest of 2, nothing, just the standard points. Looking into their terms, noticed the 12w waiting period. Waited for 12 weeks.

Then, surprise, surprise!!!

Instead of granting the other two bonuses, payback CLAIMED BACK the 12000P!!!

I am now facing the infamous service center. I don't think I could call someone. And I don't even dream of English support.

On top of that, I understand getting rid of the Burda subscription is harder than it looks like.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by st8dm; Jul 1, 2022 at 4:28 pm
Old Jul 20, 2022, 4:26 pm

Programs: AF Ultimate, LH Senator, BA Silver; MB Titanium, HH Diamond; Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by bertles86

Your screenshot states that the minimum amount to be converted is 500 points.

Last edited by yareku; Jul 20, 2022 at 4:27 pm Reason: quote
Old Jul 20, 2022, 4:37 pm

Programs: AF Ultimate, LH Senator, BA Silver; MB Titanium, HH Diamond; Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by st8dm
Very happy with myself, I booked 3x different subscriptions to different Burda magazines. I instantly got the bonus of 12000•P for one subscription. The rest of 2, nothing, just the standard points. Looking into their terms, noticed the 12w waiting period. Waited for 12 weeks.

Then, surprise, surprise!!!

Instead of granting the other two bonuses, payback CLAIMED BACK the 12000•P!!!

I am now facing the infamous service center. I don't think I could call someone. And I don't even dream of English support.

On top of that, I understand getting rid of the Burda subscription is harder than it looks like.

Any thoughts?
Have you found or been pointed to any part in the terms that would substantiate the bonus withdrawal (or prevent applying for multiple bonuses)?

Any other tips on being avid Burda customers are also welcome. The German gurus on Vielfliegertreff seem to mention multiple subs & accounts.

As for "getting rid of" the subscription - all German support agents I have talked to have spoken English so far and you have a 14 days right to withdraw from such online subscription contracts in Germany (that period has passed in your case, but mentioning this just in case somebody needs it in the future).

There is also anew German law that obligates companies to put an "easy-to-reach" button to stop subscriptions from being renewed on their websites. This should be in effect from this month unless it got amended or postponed - perhaps our German colleagues could enlighten us further.

Last edited by yareku; Jul 20, 2022 at 4:55 pm Reason: Edited part about terms - realised it refers to the 12 week lock period.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
All I can say is, I'm a bit of a guru about this (for myself anyway) and I don't touch any of that Burda stuff. It's awful, as is Payback (seriously, there can't be any apologist here who defends Payback as being any good these days, surely??)
yareku likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 8:49 pm

Programs: M&M
Originally Posted by yareku
Your screenshot states that the minimum amount to be converted is 500 points.
I know. But that wasn't the question.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 1:03 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; IHG Diamond-Amb; Accor & Meli & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Concerto
(seriously, there can't be any apologist here who defends Payback as being any good these days, surely??)
I'm certainly not an "apologist" and wouldn't recommend Payback to everyone. I also wouldn't play around with multiple subscriptions and cancellations, especially if I didn't really have an address in Germany and/or didn't speak German. But other people may have a different attitude to risk and reward (here specifically the risk of putting time, effort and cash into an endeavour that brings useless newsprint but no points/miles).

Payback still makes sense, though, for anyone who actually goes shopping at REWE, dm, Penny and/or ARAL. Every year I collect a few thousand P, which I convert to M&M when a 25% promo comes along.

Originally Posted by yareku
new German law that obligates companies to put an "easy-to-reach" button to stop subscriptions from being renewed on their websites. This should be in effect from this month unless it got amended or postponed
Here's a fairly good summary in English: https://gameslaw.org/a-new-terminati...contracts-act/
Old Jul 21, 2022, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Yes, you are right, Payback makes a certain amount of minimal sense. I do shop sometimes at REWE, although it is more expensive than ALDI, and PENNY can be useful from time to time. I also find dm (the Boots of Germany) a very useful store and I like it, well laid out with a good selection of products. Fressnapf can be handy if you have an animal at home but I wouldn't touch Aral, it's too expensive. One other good thing is the Payback AMEX (but the customer service is dreadful). The remaining partners are just Schrott, as you would say in German (that is not a swear word!).

And I don't know about all of you here, but I am just not into all this online shopping with a bunch of shops I have never heard of. For online shopping I use Shoop and get hard cashback at better rates than Payback (let's not forget that Payback is a cashback engine, not a miles programme).
Old Jul 21, 2022, 10:43 am

I'm not a fanboi of Payback, but see it as a great way to earn M&M AM on a regular basis:

- we are a family of 4 who spend about 400-600€/month on groceries. I go to Rewe for most of the staple supplies each weekend (45-50 times a year). Combined with a very agressive (mis)use of coupons (15x on every thing, various category 10x bonus coupons, 20x on one purchase each month etc) this yields about 50 000P each year
- dm is my store of choice for the things they have, but the location of their store is rather inconvinient for us, so we have to make an effort (ie I have to bike/drive 3km with a list to the next store) to buy there. Romann (who sends us 10 or 15 10% coupons each quarter) is much closer and used for small urgent purchases. This gives us about 12 000 points each year.
- Aral is nice to have, but I don't have a car and occasionally fill up the rental car if it is on the way: maximum 500-1000P/year
- online shopping has some killer deals, I usually investigate which portal (Shoop, M&M online shopping, Payback) has a better ratio/promo before going on Otto.de, H&M etc to buy things: about 7-8000P/year
- burda is a great opportunity to 'buy' M&M AM. I earn enough so don't need that. Occasionally if I see an offer on a magazine I actually would read I go for it. But you have to prepare: use a 'clean' browser (flush cookies) clicke thru each step, take screenshots of each step and follow up missing points with patience and persistence (attaching said screenshots) It is not for the impatient: max 15-20000P/year

Then the promos of 25% more AM have to be used each time and you have 80-100 000 AM per year. Very useful if you want to fly to India or N. America on vacation with a family of 4. No pain no gain
Concerto, Grog, 8420PR and 1 others like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.