LH does not allow you to check in the day before?

Old Apr 12, 2024, 5:27 am
Original Poster

LH does not allow you to check in the day before?

I’m ticketed on UA ticket stock but my first flight is on LH.

Predictably, I’m not allowed to check in on either United or Lufthansa’s app.

Being at MXP already (1:30pm the day before an 8am flight), I went over to the departures area to obtain my BPs in an effort to avoid that line tomorrow.

I was told it’s “impossible” to check in. I was told because they are worried I will change my carry-on before tomorrow’s flight.

I said, “we are within 24 hours of the flight, I am here presenting my passport and confirmation code, and you are saying there is no way I can check in?”

”correct, the only possibility is tomorrow.”

Just sort of confused by this. Is this standard in Europe? What is the point of opening check-in 24 hours ahead if you are really not allowed to check in until a few hours ahead?
Old Apr 12, 2024, 5:46 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Check-in normally opens two hours before the flight at outstations. If there's a counter open for an earlier flight, they will normally allow you to check-in earlier, but usually only on the day. Evening check-in is offered at hubs and few select outstations, but even that would normally not be possible at 13:30.

The carryon thing is just an excuse, that doesn't make any sense at all.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2024, 5:58 am

Programs: UA 1k 1MM
Are you using the LH record locator number on the LH app or are you tying to use the UA one?
Old Apr 12, 2024, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by the810
Check-in normally opens two hours before the flight at outstations. .
so the email I received from Lufthansa is a lie? I received an email at 9:30 with the subject line “Your flight is ready for check in.”

why would they say that if it’s not true?
Old Apr 12, 2024, 6:11 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by dval44
so the email I received from Lufthansa is a lie? I received an email at 9:30 with the subject line “Your flight is ready for check in.”
why would they say that if it’s not true?
Only for online checkin. The agents at the airport can not check you in the day before.

The app/website should allow you to checkin at T-30h: https://www.lufthansa.com/de/en/check-in-ueberblick
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2024, 6:29 am

I had this at BCN as well - tried to drop my bags off the day before and they said no. BA does do this for a number of flights at both LHR and LGW, but not their outstations.
Old Apr 12, 2024, 6:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Only for online checkin. The agents at the airport can not check you in the day before.

The app/website should allow you to checkin at T-30h: https://www.lufthansa.com/de/en/check-in-ueberblick
yes it would allow me to check in but merely sent me a “check in confirmation” but no BP. It says, “Due to regulatory requirements no BP”
Old Apr 12, 2024, 8:29 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL Silver, SW, BA, AC 25k, Marriott Gold
Hmm, your situation could be different but every time that has happened to me leaving Europe and I was able to check in on the app or website but not get a boarding pass, it was because I either needed extra screening (SSSS) or a check in agent needed to ask me some security questions etc (much easier than SSSS).
Old Apr 12, 2024, 1:57 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
I've seen that either when a visa had to be checked or when pax applied for assistance (wchr)
Old Jun 16, 2024, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

To follow this up for future FTers, I was indeed issued the SSSS on my bp from FRA-DEN. Unlike other times with this, it was super, super easy and essentailly just shunted me to a different security line near the gate that others were also at with the SSSS. So not nearly as dreaded as it can sometimes be...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.