EU261 compensation for cancelled flight

Old Nov 28, 2023, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Miles ‘n More, Thai Royal Orchid Plus
EU261 compensation for cancelled flight

At 08:00 this morning, Austrian cancelled my flight tonight from Vienna to Bangkok. I can’t fault them. In about an hour they had me rebooked for tomorrow on Swiss via Zürich. I’ve already claimed with my travel insurance for a missed hotel night in Bangkok.

But what I do know is that I may be eligible for €600 compensation for the delay according to EU261. However not every cancellation is applicable. It depends on the reason for the cancellation. If the reason is “out of the control of the carrier” EU261 may not apply.

But how can I find out what justification they’ve given? There’s no reason given on their website or the messages they sent to me. Nothing that I could find on Flightradar 24. Is there some accessible registry for cancelled flights?

And does anyone know where to find a form to make a claim on Austrian, and the address to send it to? Nothing visible on their website.
Old Nov 28, 2023, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FR24 shows it was due to be LPB. I bet it's tech... would have been 70 hours or so since it last flew coming from EWR.
chris63 and sodaisei like this.
Old Nov 28, 2023, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Your flight was due to be operated by OE- LPB & its last op was EWR - VIE on 26th, so suggests technical, file your claim online in feedback
Old Nov 28, 2023, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
You file a claim for cancellation; not for delay. Your flight is cancelled.

Try to contact the hotel and explain the situation. Some hotels are more flexible in situations like this.
Old Nov 28, 2023, 10:51 am

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC Gold, IC Plat Amb, Accor Gold
This happened to me last week when my flight from Frankfurt to Johannesburg was delayed overnight by 10 hours. I wasn't told why other than the pilot told us the following day that it was due to the 'late arrival of the incoming aircraft'. LH sorted out a room in the Sheraton at FRA with a meal voucher (although I was happy to take the suggestion that I eat in the FCL instead). Once I got to Johannesburg I filled in the form on this section of the website: https://www.lufthansa.com/gb/en/comp...irregularities Two days later I received a reply confirming that they would pay the EU261 claim with a link to a personalised form to add my bank details.
Overall happy with the speed of their response and lack of argument.
chris63 likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2023, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

pomkiwi Many thanks! Would I launch the claim with Austrian, since that’s where I booked, or at the LH Mothership?
Old Nov 28, 2023, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

I used the link and submitted. It let me enter Austrian as the airline. Thanks again.
Old Nov 28, 2023, 5:24 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
You claim with Austrian, properly, but who knows it might be the same backoffice.

Expect wait. You're not F pax.
Old Dec 2, 2023, 9:19 am
Original Poster

LH came back to me that they were forwarding the claim to OS. Nothing since then.
Meanwhile, my travel insurance rejected my claim for the missed hotel night. (They only cover cancellations due to sickness.) Is it worth trying to get OS to pay up? Do they ever cover third party follow-up costs as the result of an abrupt flight cancellation? Or is that what the EU261 compensation is supposed to take care of? It’s only €170 but still…
Our SWISS flight turned out to be a bit shambolic. First of all we sat on the apron at BER for 45 minutes waiting for a slot, THEN we needed de-icing. So we landed with barely enough time for our Bangkok flight, sprinting across ZRH to the E gates. My wife and I were separated due to the late booking into a full business cabin, but we managed to talk a Danish gentleman into trading so we could sit together. Only one of the seats in the bank of two has a privacy screen and storage cubby-holes — and that wasn’t me. But my wife’s seat collapsed somehow when she tried to make it into a lie-flat. The flight attendants jerry-rigged something but my wife tells me she had an uncomfortable night. And my headphone socket had a loose contact, so the sound was distorted when I tried to watch a movie. The head flight attendant gave us a €450 coupon so the equipment problems were taken seriously.
All of our baggage did show up in Bangkok, so that was a blessing. But after we landed I got an email apologizing for our delayed baggage.
I’m too cheap to pay to find out the age of our aircraft HB-JNE, but it must have been in need of a make-over.
Old Dec 2, 2023, 9:53 am

Glad to hear you and your baggage did get in in the end.

You are not eligible to loss of amenity coverage. You might have been eligible for a hotel night in Berlin? Not sure where you're based.

Compensation is supposed to make up for your loss in the destination, otherwise, travel insurance.
Old Dec 2, 2023, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Thanks for getting back to me. Yes we’re based in Berlin, so we would not have required a hotel there. We did prepay for that hotel night in Bangkok and it was too late to cancel it when OS shut down the flight. Seems unfair…
I haven’t been able to find a German travel insurance that covers eventualities like this. The one we have covers cancellation due to illness and it’s more orientated to package tourism rather than independent travel.
Do you not think it’s weird that Swiss thought our baggage was delayed even though it wasn’t?
Old Dec 3, 2023, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The OP is enquiring about a miss (prepaid) hotel night at destination (BKK) not at origin. I'm sorry, but OS has nothing to do with this/is not liable to reimburse this. In hindsight you should have made flexible hotel booking that would have allowed you to cancel. If your wife received a EUR 450 voucher and you will receive comp. for delay, I think the hotel in BKK is already paid for....
Old Dec 3, 2023, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by billp
LH came back to me that they were forwarding the claim to OS. Nothing since then.
Meanwhile, my travel insurance rejected my claim for the missed hotel night. The head flight attendant gave us a €450 coupon so the equipment problems were taken seriously.
All of our baggage did show up in Bangkok, so that was a blessing. But after we landed I got an email apologizing for our delayed baggage.
I’m too cheap to pay to find out the age of our aircraft HB-JNE, but it must have been in need of a make-over.
You are due 600 EUR each for the delay due to the cancellation & you received 450 EUR voucher, no need to fret about your missed Hotel
HB-JNE is just 7 Years old, your OS aircraft would have been circa 25 years old…..
Old Dec 3, 2023, 4:29 am

Originally Posted by SK AAR
The OP is enquiring about a miss (prepaid) hotel night at destination (BKK) not at origin. I'm sorry, but OS has nothing to do with this/is not liable to reimburse this. In hindsight you should have made flexible hotel booking that would have allowed you to cancel. If your wife received a EUR 450 voucher and you will receive comp. for delay, I think the hotel in BKK is already paid for....
Not sure of a flexible hotel booking would help, as you need to cancel a certain time in advance. Might be too late by the time the delay is certain.

Originally Posted by chris63
You are due 600 EUR each for the delay due to the cancellation & you received 450 EUR voucher, no need to fret about your missed Hotel
HB-JNE is just 7 Years old, your OS aircraft would have been circa 25 years old…..
Cabin is roughly the same age though. Slightly older on OS I think
GalaxyChris likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2023, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
Not sure of a flexible hotel booking would help, as you need to cancel a certain time in advance. Might be too late by the time the delay is certain.
My guess is that the OP was supposed to arrive BKK the following day in the afternoon. Most flexible hotel reservations would have allowed for free cancellation even if the deadline was 6PM or midnight the day before check-in (many will provide for 4PM or 6PM on the day of check-in). The OP put him/her self in this situation IMO.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.