Search

LX 777-300 to TPA in July

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2023, 4:22 pm
TBD
Original Poster

Programs: All The Programs
LX 777-300 to TPA in July

The Tampa Int'l Airport announced that Swiss mainline will operate the WK flights in July with a 773. It will be a nice change from the usual WK a340.

Old Jun 6, 2023, 12:11 pm

Programs: LH SEN
Did somebody really reply to that tweet that TPA is a better airport than ZRH?
Old Jun 6, 2023, 1:43 pm
TBD
Original Poster

I think I've only been to ZRH twice. Aside from connectivity ... I'd rather fly out of TPA than ZRH.
Old Jun 11, 2023, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Strange time of year to do a capacity increase to Florida.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 1:16 pm
TBD
Original Poster

I assumed it was a necessity based on equipment availability, but maybe it's just increased demand.
I don't know why tourists come here in summer - it's too hot - but they do...
Old Jun 12, 2023, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Originally Posted by TBD
I don't know why tourists come here in summer...
For Swiss families with kids, it's typically the only time of the year when the youngsters have >2 weeks of school break, so many families do their "big" trip of the year when they can be gone for 3-4 weeks. I have plenty of friends who thought Disneyworld in summer would be a good idea...
Old Jun 13, 2023, 1:53 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
So my wife and I are some of those flying to FL in Summer. Our kids are around 30 so we are traveling alone… but we like it hot.
Bear96 and chris63 like this.

Last edited by 59Impala; Jun 14, 2023 at 6:11 am
Old Jun 15, 2023, 7:55 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
Originally Posted by bobhope2
Did somebody really reply to that tweet that TPA is a better airport than ZRH?
So far TPA is my favorite airport in the US. Immigration is always swift due to the few international arrivals. Is it better than ZRH? Depending on what is important to you.
Old Jun 15, 2023, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyingfkb
So far TPA is my favorite airport in the US. Immigration is always swift due to the few international arrivals. Is it better than ZRH? Depending on what is important to you.
Exactly. I love TPA too - it is a great home-base airport - but they are really different animals so hard to compare. One is a busy international hub; one is a busy domestic spoke. Both are good at what they do IMO.
Old Jun 15, 2023, 8:25 am
TBD
Original Poster

If it's the comment I see - the person is specifically calling ZRH out for tarmac boarding (assume bus gates?).
We don't do that here.
Old Jun 15, 2023, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TBD
If it's the comment I see - the person is specifically calling ZRH out for tarmac boarding (assume bus gates?).
We don't do that here.
I take it you've never had the pleasure of flying Silver Airways then!
Old Jun 15, 2023, 10:05 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by TBD
We don't do that here.
I actually pretty enjoy the bus gates, as you board the bus much closer to the check-in area, and when returning you are dropped off close to passport control, so there is much less walking involved.
Old Jun 15, 2023, 3:25 pm
TBD
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bear96
I take it you've never had the pleasure of flying Silver Airways then!
Ok, true. Can't put a gate at the back door of an ATR, though, and there's no bus. So I say it doesn't count!
Nonstop to EYW is convenient, but I don't think I'd call the experience a "pleasure" ...
Originally Posted by 59Impala
I actually pretty enjoy the bus gates, as you board the bus much closer to the check-in area, and when returning you are dropped off close to passport control, so there is much less walking involved.
I like walking up to a plane, but I've never been on an airport bus that wasn't crammed full of people. The discomfort of standing in a hot, stuffy, and crowded bus outweighs any benefits (IMO).
Old Jun 16, 2023, 4:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TBD
Ok, true. Can't put a gate at the back door of an ATR, though, and there's no bus. So I say it doesn't count!
Nonstop to EYW is convenient, but I don't think I'd call the experience a "pleasure" ...
It beats the drive but their reliability is terrible with few options when things go sideways.

Although I guess technically it is not a "bus gate" because there is no glamorous bus. You just walk out on the tarmac to the plane from the glamorous basement of Terminal A.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.