Offer upgrade - class fare (TAP status miles)

Old Jun 2, 2023, 3:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance Gold
Offer upgrade - class fare (TAP status miles)

Hey all,

I am star alliance gold on TAP Portugal. I will be flying LH next month, currently booked in premium economy. I see the option to place an offer for upgrade which would be a good deal for extra miles accrual. However, TAP doesn't accept all class fares. I once cash upgraded on LH and I was ticketed to business class (P), which gives 0 status miles for TAP.
Does any of you know which ticket class will be issued after an offer upgrade? On LH website states that offer upgrades will receive higher miles accrual but doesn't specify the class. Accepted executive class are: C, D, J, Z.

TIA
Pietro
Old Jun 2, 2023, 3:49 am

Programs: LH SEN; DL PM; Hertz PC; Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by ciaopeps
Hey all,

I am star alliance gold on TAP Portugal. I will be flying LH next month, currently booked in premium economy. I see the option to place an offer for upgrade which would be a good deal for extra miles accrual. However, TAP doesn't accept all class fares. I once cash upgraded on LH and I was ticketed to business class (P), which gives 0 status miles for TAP.
Does any of you know which ticket class will be issued after an offer upgrade? On LH website states that offer upgrades will receive higher miles accrual but doesn't specify the class. Accepted executive class are: C, D, J, Z.

TIA
Pietro
LH upgrades bought via "bid" always go to the lowest booking class, regardless of actual availabilityfor business it would indeed be P.
Old Jun 2, 2023, 5:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pdeut
LH upgrades bought via "bid" always go to the lowest booking class, regardless of actual availabilityfor business it would indeed be P.
thanks a lot for your reply. It really helps. In this case, regarding miles accrual I am better off staying in premium economy (class N) which awards 100% status miles on TAP.
Old Jun 2, 2023, 5:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, A3*G
thanks a lot for your reply. It really helps. In this case, regarding miles accrual I am better off staying in premium economy (class N) which awards 100% status miles on TAP.
hi there.
I've just upgraded two sectors from Economy (original booking class M) to Business (paid upgrade via manage my booking on Lufthansa.com) - both flights are short hall (so only economy and business are sold) and the upgrade was booked as Z class, which accrues miles (Aegean's Miles and Bonus for me). I was concerned it would be P, but it's definitely Z.

PS: this was an 'immediate' upgrade rather than 'place your offer for an upgrade'
romans likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2023, 4:42 am

Originally Posted by ozon78
hi there.
I've just upgraded two sectors from Economy (original booking class M) to Business (paid upgrade via manage my booking on Lufthansa.com) - both flights are short hall (so only economy and business are sold) and the upgrade was booked as Z class, which accrues miles (Aegean's Miles and Bonus for me). I was concerned it would be P, but it's definitely Z.

PS: this was an 'immediate' upgrade rather than 'place your offer for an upgrade'
Indeed this is the key difference: fixed price upgrades (except at check in) go to the lowest available booking class, whereas bid upgrades go into the lowest class regardless of availability.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2023, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ozon78
hi there.

that is interesting! i bought the upgrade and was given business P. Immediately called LH and they reverted it since it was just made. Do you know if there is a way to know in advance which class fare letter one would get before upgrading? ( paid or offered)

thanks
p
Old Jun 4, 2023, 10:45 am

that is interesting! i bought the upgrade and was given business P. Immediately called LH and they reverted it since it was just made. Do you know if there is a way to know in advance which class fare letter one would get before upgrading? ( paid or offered)

thanks
p
Fixed price upgrades (and not bids) get the lowest available class; to find out what this is you can check ExpertFlyer or ask for the load in this thread.
Keep in mind that if, for example, the availability was to be Z9P0, the upgrade would cost more than if it was Z9P9, but you would get into Z instead of P—the price of the fixed price upgrade is dynamic and increases based on fare class availability.

Last edited by pdeut; Jun 4, 2023 at 10:53 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.