Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lufthansa cancelled my flight from CLT to MUC on 3/25

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2023, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Lufthansa cancelled my flight from CLT to MUC on 3/25

I just got a text that my flight on Saturday was cancelled. I tried to see if I was rebooked via their website but it says they can't do it for me and to contact them. I've never had a flight be cancelled before and LH only flies out of my airport once a day. What usually happens in this situation? What compensation can I ask for? I have prepaid hotel reservations and tours scheduled and a rental car booked in my final destination. I have business class booked. I actually have 3 people traveling on 2 reservations because my son will be in France for the semester and won't be flying home with us. Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Old Mar 23, 2023, 3:13 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Call and get rebooked. The European carriers appear to have a much stronger (per regulations in Europe) requirement for duty of care (compared to our US airlines that can get away with just about anything) and likely can/will put you on another airline (their partner UA, or perhaps a completely different airline depending on space).

Depending on how much/if you are delayed getting to your final destination (that will depend on your rebooking details) I think EU261 may apply, but others here are more familiar with those details.

I would call and tell them how you need to be there by [date/time] and need to be rebooked to arrive by then.
Old Mar 23, 2023, 3:18 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by ty97
Call and get rebooked. The European carriers appear to have a much stronger (per regulations in Europe) requirement for duty of care (compared to our US airlines that can get away with just about anything) and likely can/will put you on another airline (their partner UA, or perhaps a completely different airline depending on space).

Depending on how much/if you are delayed getting to your final destination (that will depend on your rebooking details) I think EU261 may apply, but others here are more familiar with those details.

I would call and tell them how you need to be there by [date/time] and need to be rebooked to arrive by then.
From memory EU261 applies where an EU carrier is flying from outside the EU to an EU airport:

Article 3

Scope

1. This Regulation shall apply:

(a) to passengers departing from an airport located in the territory of a Member State to which the Treaty applies;

(b) to passengers departing from an airport located in a third country to an airport situated in the territory of a Member State to which the Treaty applies, unless they received benefits or compensation and were given assistance in that third country, if the operating air carrier of the flight concerned is a Community carrier.
https://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ...4R0261:en:HTML

Not exactly clear and not looked into it in details but from what I recall the end result is that EU261 effectively applies in these cases not withstanding the caveat in Art 3.1(b) ("unless they received benefits or compensation and were given assistance in that third country").
Old Mar 23, 2023, 3:29 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Munich airport is closed due a strike on Sunday, so only duty of care applies. Lufthansa will reroute you if you call in.
arf04, athome and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old Mar 23, 2023, 3:39 pm

You are asking two separate questions. The first is about rebooking. In your situation, the best thing to do is to figure out what routing will work for you or if a different day of departure will be sufficient. Based on your post, it seems that you want to be there on a specific date so rerouting is probably what to look at. If this were me, I would look at what connecting flights will work or if UA has any non-stop flights out of CLT. LH flies from quite a few cities in the US, so look at what works best for you. UA will likely be the easiest connecting airline, but others may be in play as well given how close to the departure you are. You should also consider FRA as a connecting city. Once you have figured out what you want, then call in and suggest it to the agent. They should make the change for you, especially as you are close in now.

The second question is about compensation. I have no special knowledge about this, so cannot comment BUT I would say the first question is the one you want to resolve asap.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2023, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

What exactly is duty of care? My husband found some language that strikes aren't covered for compensation. Why is the airport closed on Sunday if the strike isn't until Monday? Lufthansa website says the strike is on 3/27. I specifically paid extra for this flight because it has the least connections and leaves the latest out of my airport. It the easiest way to get to Europe from CLT.
Old Mar 23, 2023, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Munich airport is closed due a strike on Sunday, so only duty of care applies. Lufthansa will reroute you if you call in.
That explains why I could not see any connections via FRA. In such a case, would LH reroute into FRA or NUE (I guess the latter would have to be on a different carrier) and provide a train ticket for the final segment?
Old Mar 23, 2023, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by arf04
You are asking two separate questions. The first is about rebooking. In your situation, the best thing to do is to figure out what routing will work for you or if a different day of departure will be sufficient. Based on your post, it seems that you want to be there on a specific date so rerouting is probably what to look at. If this were me, I would look at what connecting flights will work or if UA has any non-stop flights out of CLT. LH flies from quite a few cities in the US, so look at what works best for you. UA will likely be the easiest connecting airline, but others may be in play as well given how close to the departure you are. You should also consider FRA as a connecting city. Once you have figured out what you want, then call in and suggest it to the agent. They should make the change for you, especially as you are close in now.

The second question is about compensation. I have no special knowledge about this, so cannot comment BUT I would say the first question is the one you want to resolve asap.
I'm more concerned about getting there. If we can still get there on Sunday compensation wouldn't be a huge concern. It'd be nice because this is a hassle. My husband gets cranky when there's a lot of connections which is why we chose to fly Lufthansa.
Old Mar 23, 2023, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

That explains why I could not see any connections via FRA. In such a case, would LH reroute into FRA or NUE (I guess the latter would have to be on a different carrier) and provide a train ticket for the final segment?
I need to end up in MRS. I don't really want to take the train because we have big pieces of luggage because my son will be in France for months. I need to get to the MRS airport to pick up my rental car. Why are the Germans striking? I was keeping an eye on France so Germany caught me unaware.
Old Mar 23, 2023, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by fluffybunnt22
I'm more concerned about getting there. If we can still get there on Sunday compensation wouldn't be a huge concern. It'd be nice because this is a hassle. My husband gets cranky when there's a lot of connections which is why we chose to fly Lufthansa.
In looking at the news, it seems that there are multiple issues with travel in Germany this weekend, including long-distance train cancelations. There is probably not, but going to be an easy way to do this.

I would look at possibly getting into Innsbruck and taking the regional train from there to Munich, but that will require multiple connections for sure. Something like CLT-ORD-CPH/ARN-INN might work if it is on Star Alliance. Or, if you can get on DL via ATL and AMS that could get you into NUE, which is closer to Munich.

Or, try to get out the day before. Sadly, everything looks like a hassle!
Old Mar 23, 2023, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by fluffybunnt22
I need to end up in MRS. I don't really want to take the train because we have big pieces of luggage because my son will be in France for months. I need to get to the MRS airport to pick up my rental car. Why are the Germans striking? I was keeping an eye on France so Germany caught me unaware.
We crossed posts... If your destination is MRS, and it is all on one ticket, then DL/AF to CDG is probably your best bet or possibly KL via AMS. To me, AMS is easier to connect in, but either would be fine. Given the situation in Germany, I would get on the phone asap as there will probably be many trying to get rebooked.
BearX220 and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old Mar 23, 2023, 3:56 pm

Programs: OW Sapphire, *A Gold
All German airports apart from BER are closed on the 27th, and all long distance trains are cancelled.
Old Mar 23, 2023, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

We crossed posts... If your destination is MRS, and it is all on one ticket, then DL/AF to CDG is probably your best bet or possibly KL via AMS. To me, AMS is easier to connect in, but either would be fine. Given the situation in Germany, I would get on the phone asap as there will probably be many trying to get rebooked.
We were booked thru to MRS on the same ticket. They did cancel the MUC to MRS flight about an hour after the first flight was cancelled. I'm seeing lost luggage in my future. I'm going to try and get my husband and I down to just a carry on but we have to check a piece for my son. I knew I should have shipped his luggage.
Old Mar 23, 2023, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Deckter
All German airports apart from BER are closed on the 27th, and all long distance trains are cancelled.
My flight was connecting in MUC on the 26th so I don't understand how a closed airport on the 27th affects flights on the 26th You all are very helpful. I can't get out tomorrow because my husband can't get out of work a day early.
Old Mar 23, 2023, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by Deckter
Thanks! I have not had a look--until just now--at any German news all week. I obviously missed some big stuff... It will definitely take creativity and luck to get around the country.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.