Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LH Global IT system outage 15FEB2023

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2023, 5:30 am

Programs: LH SEN
That remains to be seen. If a single point of IT failure leads to a total collapse of your operations it could also be considered as incompetence or negligence.

Originally Posted by vkis
Probably not, since it was "force majeure", construction works on a rail line knocked out a significant part of Frankfurt's internet infrastructure. It just so happens that the airline headquartered in FRA took the brunt of the blow.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 5:49 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Telekom statement:

Old Feb 15, 2023, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
I saw the USA New York Times article about this.
How large is the affected cable? If this was a construction accident, then could this occur by saboteurs in the future? I will assume that the cables are wider or larger than the telephone cables we see that tend to connect from a street tower to an individual building. How can a construction company just accidentally severe a fiber optic cable and then pour cement on top of it?
will eu261 be in effect for this?
Grog and chris63 like this.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 6:19 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Originally Posted by gaobest
How can a construction company just accidentally severe a fiber optic cable and then pour cement on top of it?
If you look at the Telekom tweet you can see they were piling a foundation.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by gaobest
will eu261 be in effect for this?
of course. Duty of care always applies.

I doubt LH will pay any compensation for this and honestly ... that seems sensible
Stewie Mac, athome, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 6:53 am

British Airways eventually paid out 261/2004 for their various IT failures over the years.

Working in IT, issues like this can be planned for, and can be mitigated. The airline should have diverse and redundant links in place to cater for exactly this. If they don’t run their network directly, then there should be provisions in the contract for the Telco partner to do this, and provide an appropriate commercially backed SLA.
roesner, chris63, KRSW and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 7:01 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
I disagree.

The concept of having redundancy certainly is nothing new. One cable being a cause for such a significant IT failure imho is just negligent.

I think LH should have to pay EU261 because it was in entirely in LHs power to prevent this with investments they decided not to make.
Unterwegs, roesner, Dave_C and 9 others like this.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by oliver2002
If you look at the Telekom tweet you can see they were piling a foundation.
I looked at the photos and felt too confused to understand what I saw in the photos. I refer to the post from today that had photos of what appeared to be cement and wires. as much as I utilize buildings, I don’t know how they’re built nor do I know what it means to pile a foundation :-)
I don’t even know how to fix electricity supply for my home and I depend on professionals to handle this for me.

Originally Posted by cfischer

I doubt LH will pay any compensation for this and honestly ... that seems sensible
So if lh is responsible for eu261, How can they refuse to pay for compensation? Surely they can file a claim or lawsuit against whoever cut their fiberglass cable. I also don’t know the difference between fiberglass and fiber optic. I just know that it’s awful to be inconvenienced at the airport and of course during a flight (eek).
Grog and becks1 like this.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 7:33 am

Programs: AA, Delta, Singapore Airlines
I love how the telecom statement used an emoji.
Fly2Connect likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The network isn't that busy, its a Wednesday in February...where already huge cuts were made to the schedules. Recent flights I've been on have been quiet. If they can get it fixed by tomorrow, the effect isn't that significant. There's a reason why Ver.di plan their strike for Friday.
chris63 likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 8:06 am

Programs: LH *G
I managed to check in for an inner European and a domestic LH flight tomorrow. Via booking code and not logging in.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 8:10 am

Programs: LH HON
Originally Posted by cfischer

This morning - early when the desaster started - I called LH to change my booking (domestic itineray) via ZRH. These flights were completely on time, but LH refused this because of VAT issues with a domestic ticket vs.an international ticket. Unbelievable!
Furthermore my original connection in MUC was also delayed, but there was no HON pick-up or short connex to the connecting flight. When I arrived at the gate, the flight was closed, but the plane was delayed by another 20 min. No chance. Now I have to spend 7 hours in MUC FCL.
chris63 likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by Nick Art
The concept of having redundancy certainly is nothing new. One cable being a cause for such a significant IT failure imho is just negligent.
The cable was cut Tuesday evening/night and the redundancy worked till it was severely overloaded this morning with half of Frankfurt also loading the alternative as they came back to work. Companies that need IT networks to operate/exist definitely provision for redundancies. However a redundant system cannot bear the entire load especially if other orgnaisations also need it (think banking and manufacturing in the FRA area).
becks1 likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by shipsmail
This morning - early when the desaster started - I called LH to change my booking (domestic itineray) via ZRH. These flights were completely on time, but LH refused this because of VAT issues with a domestic ticket vs.an international ticket. Unbelievable!
Furthermore my original connection in MUC was also delayed, but there was no HON pick-up or short connex to the connecting flight. When I arrived at the gate, the flight was closed, but the plane was delayed by another 20 min. No chance. Now I have to spend 7 hours in MUC FCL.
Terrible & do write in and complain but imagine how it is for other affected pax with no lounge access let alone MUC FCL….
demue likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oliver2002
The cable was cut Tuesday evening/night and the redundancy worked till it was severely overloaded this morning with half of Frankfurt also loading the alternative as they came back to work. Companies that need IT networks to operate/exist definitely provision for redundancies. However a redundant system cannot bear the entire load especially if other orgnaisations also need it (think banking and manufacturing in the FRA area).
LX and SK site were not working last night. (SK below)

chris63 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.