HON boarding in Group 1 [after trial in ZRH]

Old Dec 7, 2022, 10:07 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
HON boarding in Group 1 [after trial in ZRH]

It seems LH/LX is testing a new boarding procedure that highlights the fact that HON can board first and skip the lines at any time. The trial runs thru December and applies to the following flights:

ZRH - FRA
LH 1183
LH 1185
LH 1187
LH 1191
LH 1193
LH 1197
LH 1199

ZRH – BER
LX 962
LX 966
LX 970
LX 974
LX 976
LX 978
LX 982

ZRH – HAM
LX 1050
LX 1054
LX 1056
LX 1058

If you are an HON and noticed the new boarding procedure and would like to give any feedback please PM me and I will give you an email ID to send the feedback to.

Last edited by oliver2002; Dec 8, 2022 at 4:13 am
Old Dec 7, 2022, 10:53 am
hch

My HON times are long over, but the last thing I wanted was to board first. In fact I was in constant fights with the PAs to leave me more time in the FCT or FCL instead of driving me up to the plane just waiting for it to be ready. I never got this fascination with boarding early, planes (especially short haul) aren't that nice places to spend your time at.

Being guaranteed to board at the last possible time would seem like a much more useful enhancement
Alec84, 4004, seibel and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 7, 2022, 11:02 am

Programs: ST E+, *G, some hotel gold...
If you are being driven from FCT, it's different for sure, as well as if using a bus, but when boarding from the terminal directly I for one always try to board as soon as possible. Later you board, less of a chance that you will have space for your carryon, even in business with unscrupulous pax in row 29 feeling free to stick it over row 2. Later you board, if you have a window seat, higher the chance you will have to get across a seated seatmate to your own. And I find sitting in my window seat more comfortable than standing or sitting around in the gate area
What I think we will all agree to, is that HONs should have absolutely all the options, whether to board first, last, wherever they want. And if they want to go first, they should be allowed to go first, then J, SEN, *G etc.
Markie, chris63, NightFly and 3 others like this.
Old Dec 7, 2022, 11:47 am

Programs: LX HON***, FB Silver, BA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt GP, Hertz Gold, GHA Black
Originally Posted by oliver2002
It seems LH/LX is testing a new boarding procedure that highlights the fact that HON can board first and skip the lines at any time. The trial runs thru December and applies to the following flights:

ZRH - FRA
LH 1183
LH 1185
LH 1187
LH 1191
LH 1193
LH 1197
LH 1199

ZRH BER
LX 962
LX 966
LX 970
LX 974
LX 976
LX 978
LX 982

ZRH HAM
LX 1050
LX 1054
LX 1056
LX 1058

If you are an HON and noticed the new boarding procedure and would like to give any feedback please PM me and I will give you an email ID to send the feedback to. Every HON giving feedback will receive a credit of 500 HCM.
They have discussed various options with a group of HONs. This is not about FCT or FCL boarding but in 99% elsewhere in the world. There was a lot of complains that Group 1&2 board together and they are now looking into new solutions. The trail is in ZRH and is actually very good.
chris63 and vantage03 like this.
Old Dec 7, 2022, 12:42 pm

Programs: LH HON**
Last summer on LH CGN-MUC my boarding group as HON was PRE and this was called out before Group 1. Same thing here?
Old Dec 7, 2022, 12:48 pm

Programs: LH, BA, AA
Yes was in on of those ZRH-FRA flight - the announcement will first invite HON circle member ONLY (they do emphasize ONLY) to board, and when you walk up and board, they do look and make sure you are HON (or HON‘s companion can also board at the same time).
chris63 and Vixit like this.
Old Dec 7, 2022, 1:10 pm

Programs: LH HON**
OK, then my experience at the time was that you will indeed board the plane first, but before that you still have to wade your way through all passengers of groups 1 and 2 who are convinced they will board first and therefore crowd by the gate readers (together with the usual lost souls who are in group 6 but try to board early anyway).

I dont like to be one of those DYKWIA gate campers claiming priority boarding territory since 20 mins before the gate was even manned, nor get a lot of attention by having to divide a sea of people in front of me, HON member coming through!

IMHO it works best when the gate area is spacious enough to actually allow for clearly marked and roped-off rows for various groups
roberto99, zara and Alec84 like this.
Old Dec 7, 2022, 1:15 pm

My experience is just a sample of 1 flight … so maybe not accurate or not consistent…
Old Dec 7, 2022, 1:41 pm

Programs: OS SEN, Marriott Titanium
I'm going to be honest, sounds nice, but I agree with the others would be great to let HON board last minute too as an option (not that I am one, or probably ever will be). I must also admit that normally idgaf about the line if I decide to show up later into the flight boarding, and I walk through the biz section if I can anyways (not always available ofc) even if it is empty.
Old Dec 7, 2022, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Vixit
Last summer on LH CGN-MUC my boarding group as HON was PRE and this was called out before Group 1. Same thing here?
Exit? Thats how they are formatted
Old Dec 7, 2022, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by MasterGberry
I'm going to be honest, sounds nice, but I agree with the others would be great to let HON board last minute too as an option (not that I am one, or probably ever will be). I must also admit that normally idgaf about the line if I decide to show up later into the flight boarding, and I walk through the biz section if I can anyways (not always available ofc) even if it is empty.
Not if you have a carry on suit case .. where do you find room to store it unless they reserve an overhead for HON also
Old Dec 7, 2022, 4:55 pm

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
I am only SEN and get Pre a lot, even on short hops in Y. Usually traveling in exit row, which may be a factor.
Old Dec 7, 2022, 5:29 pm

Programs: ST E+, *G, some hotel gold...
Originally Posted by hugolover
Exit? Thats how they are formatted
Originally Posted by worldclubber
I am only SEN and get Pre a lot, even on short hops in Y. Usually traveling in exit row, which may be a factor.
Exit row indeed gets "preboarding"... which is in practiced never called for, in my experience. more of the opposite, chances are if I board in Group 1 with PRE group, I get a red flag and gate agent goes through the "are you willing and able.." spiel while people walk past me.
Old Dec 7, 2022, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just like entry check requirements. If you think you're missing out on premium boarding, go to the check-in and that flag won't crop up on boarding.
Old Dec 7, 2022, 7:15 pm

Programs: M&M,M&B,AMC,HH
At least Swiss is trying to do the right thing.
Last couple of times in DUB with LH it was disaster.
They invited people who need special assistance, families with children, HON, Gold SA, Business and all passengers from Group 1 and 2 in the same time.
You can imagine the run and confusion when signs tell you otherwise.
First time I thought it was mistake, but quickly learned, that it is to speed up the boarding process.
Yeah, go figure.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.