Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HON boarding in Group 1 [after trial in ZRH]

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2023, 9:34 am

Programs: LH*G HON
Originally Posted by worldclubber
Maybe rules are different for different airports (we know about reported rules for our one), reflecting different environments. At my home airport it’s always 1 and 2 together.
I called the HON Circle hotline and they confirmed that their internal communication is:
- All stations in Europe offer the new boarding from May 1st
- Group 1 and 2 are to be called separately and will board separately
- Passengers with connected bookings or that have checked in together will have the highest common group (i.e. HON Companions should have Group 1)

Also the whole ordeal has now been escalated at C-level…

As for companions not in Group 1, this can be an issue in VIE/FRA/MUC because it generally also means they don't have the "SERVICE" flag and no limousine will be requested in case of open stand.

If the gate agent is unable or unwilling to fix it for you, you can usually fix it yourself by checking everyone out and then checking in again and use the "Add Passengers" feature to make sure everyone is checked in at once and not sequentially. If you're past the check-in time (especially LH) make sure you have a gate agent that is aware of what you're doing and will manually check you in if necessary. You don't want to offload yourself by accident ;-)
chris63 and EJJBHX like this.
Old May 31, 2023, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by chrisleduc
I called the HON Circle hotline and they confirmed that their internal communication is:
- All stations in Europe offer the new boarding from May 1st
- Group 1 and 2 are to be called separately and will board separately
- Passengers with connected bookings or that have checked in together will have the highest common group (i.e. HON Companions should have Group 1)
I also had to call the HON line today on another matter & took the opportunity to ask & i received the same answer.
vantage03 and chrisleduc like this.
Old May 31, 2023, 9:59 am

Programs: LH*G HON
Originally Posted by MumbaiDan
Last week in MAD and CDG and today in DUB no change to the process, families with children first, then Boarding Groups 1 and 2 together.....
The flights were full, MAD and DUB were absolute Chaos and lots and lots of families with children and buggies and these horrendous Trunkie rolling bags.......
For CDG it's a special case because the station knows about the new process but refuses to implement it, citing issues with the lack of space in the LHG terminal. But they promised to look into it again in early June. No improvement to be expected until then. In MXP it's quite the opposite... they now reserve a seating area exclusively for Group 1 and also one for Group 2. Both are cordoned off and this speeds up boarding significantly.

So far it's been a mess… let's hope the C-level attention it's now gotten will help.
chris63 likes this.
Old May 31, 2023, 11:10 am

Why European airports? Is that a restriction, that wasn’t communicated yet? Or does it mean, at European airports for sure, maybe at other airports as well?
Old May 31, 2023, 12:01 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
On Monday adding my family to my booking worked and they got Group 2. Seating didn't improve though. Boarding at MUC was group 1+2 together but we had a bus gate so nbd.
Old May 31, 2023, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thbe
Why European airports? Is that a restriction, that wasn’t communicated yet? Or does it mean, at European airports for sure, maybe at other airports as well?
In my discussion, it was all airports where there was not already priority boarding for HON & F, so that HON & F can always board first
Old May 31, 2023, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by chris63
In my discussion, it was all airports where there was not already priority boarding for HON & F, so that HON & F can always board first
If the HON hotline isn’t sure about the airports, then there are no clear instructions or no clear communication about them.
Old May 31, 2023, 11:53 pm

Programs: LH HON, QF CL, SQ TPPS, AF Plat, VS Gold, VA Plat, EK Gold, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Marriott Plat
I also had to call the HON line today on another matter & took the opportunity to ask & i received the same answer.
I’m surprised they’d have any idea about the new boarding process..
Old Jun 1, 2023, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vantage03
I’m surprised they’d have any idea about the new boarding process..
Well, it is the HON line, & the change affects HON, i was speaking with BER, maybe if i had called the Philippines i would have had an entirely different response
Old Jun 1, 2023, 1:26 am

Programs: LH HON**
Originally Posted by chrisleduc

As for companions not in Group 1, this can be an issue in VIE/FRA/MUC because it generally also means they don't have the "SERVICE" flag and no limousine will be requested in case of open stand.

If the gate agent is unable or unwilling to fix it for you, you can usually fix it yourself by checking everyone out and then checking in again and use the "Add Passengers" feature to make sure everyone is checked in at once and not sequentially. If you're past the check-in time (especially LH) make sure you have a gate agent that is aware of what you're doing and will manually check you in if necessary. You don't want to offload yourself by accident ;-)
thank you for calling up and clarifying things! I had t got round to it yet.

this is just what happened to me on Tuesday. My French didn’t stretch to explaining to the gate agent exactly why I needed my family to also be in Group 1 / HNCO and when we arrived at an apron position in FRA, the limo driver was only expecting me. Fortunately he had no issue looking up the others and taking them too.
Old Jun 1, 2023, 1:31 am

Programs: LH, A3, BA
Originally Posted by EJJBHX
thank you for calling up and clarifying things! I had t got round to it yet.

this is just what happened to me on Tuesday. My French didn’t stretch to explaining to the gate agent exactly why I needed my family to also be in Group 1 / HNCO and when we arrived at an apron position in FRA, the limo driver was only expecting me. Fortunately he had no issue looking up the others and taking them too.
that was good luck indeed! I usually have this sorted out by the hotline.
EJJBHX likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2023, 1:34 am

Programs: LH HON**
Originally Posted by Jensens
that was good luck indeed! I usually have this sorted out by the hotline.
I have learned to do that next time!
Old Jun 2, 2023, 12:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
I can confirm that SZG applies FR-style boarding - we used the gate which is directly next to the lounge and once we come out all pax where standing in a long queue. There was an automated announcement which nobody could hear and agents weren't bothered. I boarded towards the end with a Gentleman who then sat in front of me in Y and thanks to the bus gate he revealed himself as HON in FRA. Otherwise, a pleasant airport though.
chris63 likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2023, 12:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Duck1981
I can confirm that SZG applies FR-style boarding - we used the gate which is directly next to the lounge and once we come out all pax where standing in a long queue. There was an automated announcement which nobody could hear and agents weren't bothered. I boarded towards the end with a Gentleman who then sat in front of me in Y and thanks to the bus gate he revealed himself as HON in FRA. Otherwise, a pleasant airport though.
What a mess, they need to get their act together….
Old Jun 2, 2023, 5:32 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
ATH LH lounge is fantastic compared to other LH lounges, i prefer it over Aegean, well run by obviously caring Staff & i was always offered pre boarding as HON before they decided to consign SEN to the ignominy of Group 2
You are of course right - and I didn't mean to say the above, I merely quoted it erroneously.

Generally, LH's lounges are one of few LH features, I do really appreciate. Crews and pilots and the hygiene of the planes being the other one.
And - until very recently - a good coach product.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.