Switched from Lufthansa to Eurowings Discover (4Y) w/o notification

Old Nov 27, 2022, 7:08 pm

Programs: AC75 MM
I flew FRA-YVR today on an A333 4Y operated flight and was happy with the standard of service as others have noted above.
However, my original booking, which was with LH in June was on an A340, and the older A333 I was on today (in J) had poor IFE and an uncomfortable seat, so not as good.

Maybe unrelated to the wet lease issue, but there was a 3+ hour departure delay (unfortunately favourable winds made up an hour otherwise EU261 could have kicked in), and a last minute equipment swap - a lunchtime FRA-YYZ flight was cancelled and we got their plane. There was no information as to what happened to the originally scheduled plane for our flight.
Old Nov 28, 2022, 7:48 am

Programs: UA 1K , LH SEN
Originally Posted by cfischer
Do you earn Premier bonus on 4Y if it is not a 016 ticket? It is not listed ... unlike for example for WK.
From the link above:
"MileagePlus members can earn award miles and Premier qualifying credits on eligible Eurowings Discover flights."
See also:
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ng-credit.html
4Y is even preferred partner.
Old Nov 28, 2022, 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by tomvancouver
However, my original booking, which was with LH in June was on an A340, and the older A333 I was on today (in J) had poor IFE and an uncomfortable seat, so not as good.
The seat is the same (other upholstery, but otherwise identical). The A343 is the older plane. The A333 were delivered a couple of years later to LH.
Old Nov 30, 2022, 2:39 am

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Best Western Diamond Selec
Originally Posted by NUE_flyer
Please double check the programs' web pages. With AC and UA 4Y is effectively the same as LH (award and status-wise).
https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...html#/airlines
https://www.united.com/en/us/fly/mil...-discover.html
While it is true that 4Y is not *A - as long as you stay within the TATL cartel joint venture universe, it doesn't matter at all.
That's a classic example of we must not solely rely on wheretocredit.com. yes, we should always check with individual airlines especially for long haul premium tickets. Thanks!

Now when we fly partner metals of the marketing carrier, it becomes YMMV. I'm still fighting with DL for WS flights, KL ticket. My above trip is LH flights originally, now changed to 4Y, LH ticket.

Last edited by maverikbc; Nov 30, 2022 at 2:45 am
Old Dec 1, 2022, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by NUE_flyer
From the link above:
"MileagePlus members can earn award miles and Premier qualifying credits on eligible Eurowings Discover flights."
See also:
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ng-credit.html
4Y is even preferred partner.
which of course, as you know, is not the same thing at all ... I am talking about the BONUS you earn only with certain JV partners.
Old Dec 2, 2022, 4:40 am

Programs: UA 1K , LH SEN
Originally Posted by cfischer
which of course, as you know, is not the same thing at all ... I am talking about the BONUS you earn only with certain JV partners.
I assume, you are talking about teh "Premier bonus award miles"??
If so, then you are right, the situation is unclear. Normally, the award bonus is listed with the partner, and it is not with Disco. While this is also true for EW, my feeling is that this may be inaccurate with 4Y - just for the reason that LH want to position them as a full-service leasure airline - not as an explicit LCC in the case of EW.
Seems like this is a question for a qualified hotline agent
Old Jan 6, 2023, 8:55 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Silver; Air Canada 25K; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Lufthansa swaps YVR - FRA route to Eurowings Discover (4Y)

What the heck Lufthansa?? Not sure when this switch happened, but Lufthansa replaced it's daily YVR <-> FRA nonstop service with Eurowings service, and now my Star Alliance Gold benefits are useless on this routing. When Air Canada doesn't offer the YVR <-> FRA routing (seasonal service during summer), I typically switch to flying Lufthansa for the non-stop convenience and also to at least get the Star Alliance Gold benefits (priority check-in, priority boarding, free baggage allowance, etc etc). But now with Eurowings operating this route, I don't get any of that anymore as EW isn't a Star Alliance member!!
Old Jan 7, 2023, 8:47 am

I believe YVR-FRA has always been more of a leisure one than a business heavy one. As Lufthansa are currently cutting everything except executive pay and bonuses no doubt this is a cost cutting exercise.
chris63 and ISTFlyer like this.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 12:01 pm

Programs: LH HON
This happened in the fall - all Canada routes went to 4Y
Old Jan 7, 2023, 12:11 pm

Programs: LX HON***, FB Silver, BA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt GP, Hertz Gold, GHA Black
And on Swiss all to Edelweiss in the coming summer
Old Jan 7, 2023, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
The schedule currently shows that LH resumes operating FRA-YVR service on 3/26/23, at the start of the IATA summer season.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 9:20 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by ajcopley
But now with Eurowings operating this route, I don't get any of that anymore as EW isn't a Star Alliance member!!
AC elites get all their benefits on 4Y:

https://www.eurowings-discover.com/e...ation/lounges/

Aeroplan: https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...html#/airlines

Checkin: https://www.eurowings-discover.com/e...t-the-airport/

Youn mention that you are AC 100SE in your profile?
Old Jan 9, 2023, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LH swapped for EW then EW wetlease operated by BT, Court held the pax were due a full refund as the change amounted to a cancellation under EC261/2004.
https://www.drboese.de/blog/ag-erdin...ur-erstattung/

Most interesting:
"The court affirmed a claim for reimbursement, as there was a cancellation within the meaning of Article 2 lit. l of Regulation 261/2004/EC (Passenger Rights Regulation). The court affirmed this with regard to the flight number, the new seat allocation and the different departure terminal at Munich Airport. The court does not consider the submitted disadvantages in terms of catering, separation of the business class cabin and the washrooms to be relevant in the context of the question of whether a cancellation has occurred. That would only have been important in the context of a contractual right of withdrawal."

As its considered a cancellation, that would also give rights to re-routing under Article 8 at the earliest opportunity or at a later date of pax's choosing.

LH not got a leg to stand on. Duh.

Would be interesting if there is an obligation also where there is a wet-lease, at least under DE contract law.
chris63 and Harper50505 like this.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 7:57 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Silver; Air Canada 25K; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by oliver2002
AC elites get all their benefits on 4Y:

https://www.eurowings-discover.com/e...ation/lounges/

Aeroplan: https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...html#/airlines

Checkin: https://www.eurowings-discover.com/e...t-the-airport/

Youn mention that you are AC 100SE in your profile?

Thank you! This is very helpful. Yes I'm SuperElite, so it sounds like I'll still receive most / all of the same SA Gold benefits were it a Lufthansa operated flight. This just came as a surprise to me when I was looking to book a trip to Germany (one I've done countless times in the past), expecting to find the FRA --> YVR nonstop routing on LH metal.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P 1MM, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Ran into this on a trip from YVR we just finished. When I booked it last summer, it was LH49x flight, operated by LH. Sometime in late Oct, I noticed LH had switched it to 4Y. There was no notification and unfortunately by the time I discovered this, it was too late to cancel/switch to a different carrier as the tickets had become much more expensive.

As United *G (and I believe it’s the same for AC elites), I did get benefits such as lounge access, priority boarding, fast lane, etc. so can’t complain much there. The onboard product is OK as well.

Negatives on our trip (in random order):
- 4Y charges you for pillows, blankets. What the hell?
- Didn’t have my special meal that was requested via LH. Their only response was “You order through LH? We are 4Y and don’t have it”
- An 8 hour delay on the outbound. Probably an hour was due to weather, rest was 4Y consistently running late the whole week prior
- Delayed luggage that we are still waiting to get back 3 weeks after our trip. Apparently the 4Y tag fell off, they had also reused the baggage tag number so there was some confusion due to it, etc.
- The toilets were a mess on both flights. No toilet paper, no cleaning at all throughout the flight. Quite disgusting..
- Even though LH and 4Y are supposedly in the same group, their systems just don’t talk to each other. LH was unaware of the delays, 4Y didn’t get the meal info, they kept losing my *G number, etc.

Overall, I’d probably pass on 4Y next time around as we didn’t have the best experience, but if the ticket price is really attractive and you don’t mind the types of issues we ran into, it might be ok.

Safe travels.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.