Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why cheap fares to IST are long gone?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2022, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: SEN**, Ex TK Elite+, Ex IB Sapphire, Hyatt Gold, Bonvoy, Meliá Platinum
Why cheap fares to IST are long gone?

Why there are no cheap fares available (ever) to IST ex EU anymore?
Flights to IST were always considered as intra-EU fare basis tickets. (78€ in K o/w, 188€ in P.) However I am unable to find low eco fares on this route for any date, even for next year until November the fares are high...
Does anyone know what is happening? Why LX, OS and SN stopped flying there years ago? Why this rout has never been reinserted? LH is the only one that still has 2 daily flights X FRA. If you manage to get a reasonable fare out, the return is always triple.
why LH does not add more frequencies or larger planes? The New IST airport has a huge capacity.
Sometimes a good alternative was TK, but their prices are even higher!
Has IST become new Middle East regarding the pricing policy?
Old Nov 24, 2022, 11:05 am

I think the answer is that they can't compete with TK on either fares or service standards and have therefore walked away from IST. Of course M&L members earn a lot less on TK than they will with others in order to disincentivse flying with them but then LH don't offer anything as competition. Other European hubs are not so different, BA offer two service from LHR against about seven TK services, AF similar from CDG presumably for the same reasons.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Apparently Istanbul has been taken over by hordes of Russians which has pushed hotel prices up to stupid levels. Same issue with the flights, a lack of choice and stupid prices. But if that lot are prepared to pay those prices to get into the EU then they're here to stay. Recently, to get away from Istanbul, I used miles on AnadoluJet (TK subsidiary), a one way for 17,000 miles and €74 taxes, saving me €800. Another option is Pegasus Airlines (PC) which still seems to have reasonable prices. I am disgusted at Turkish Airlines and how they have profited from this.
kai.lileboo likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2022, 2:55 am

Programs: LH SEN (*A Gold}, BA Silver, All Accor Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, HH Silver
Can confirm, the major reason for price inscrease on LH group flights between IST and EU (both directions regardless of place of origin ex-EU to IST or vice versa) these days are Russians flying via IST to Europe. Turkey did not placed any restrictions for Russians and IST is one of transfer gateways for them. Second is e.g. Beograd, SRB, flying AirSerbia - prices increased on they flights as well, but so significantly as to/from IST.
hugolover likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2022, 3:10 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by kai.lileboo
why LH does not add more frequencies or larger planes? The New IST airport has a huge capacity.
Sometimes a good alternative was TK, but their prices are even higher!
TK flies widebodies multiple times a day to all major LH group hubs and D/A/CH airports mainly to feed their hub. The traffic to Istanbul itself is now focused on LoCos serving SAW.
Old Nov 25, 2022, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by priplata
Can confirm, the major reason for price inscrease on LH group flights between IST and EU (both directions regardless of place of origin ex-EU to IST or vice versa) these days are Russians flying via IST to Europe. Turkey did not placed any restrictions for Russians and IST is one of transfer gateways for them. Second is e.g. Beograd, SRB, flying AirSerbia - prices increased on they flights as well, but so significantly as to/from IST.
Hmm I fail to see how influx of Russians in IST/AYT/Turkey can influence the fares for Germany-IST? (where the Russians have no chance to fly).
I can understand if fares between Russia/Belarus and Turkey have gone through the roof, but for TK routes to destinations where Russians cannot fly??
Harper50505 and kai.lileboo like this.
Old Nov 25, 2022, 4:35 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by SK AAR
but for TK routes to destinations where Russians cannot fly??
I think only Lithuania/Latvia/Estonia/Finland/Poland (plus maybe Czech Republic?) placed restrictions for Russian nationals. I believe other Schengen countries welcome Russians with open arms (provided they have Schengen visas, of course).

I just checked TIMATIC (https://www.emirates.com/english/bef...t-information/) and do not see any restrictions for Russians traveling to e.g. DE.

Visa

Visa required.

Additional Information:

Valid visas in full or expired travel documents are accepted if accompanied by a new travel document. However a new travel document is not required when the valid visa is in a full but still valid travel document.

Warning:

Visitors not holding return/onward tickets or sufficient funds to purchase a ticket, could be refused entry. .
Old Nov 25, 2022, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
True, but as I understand it most EU member states no longer issue (schengen)visa to Russians. Russians can't travel to EU unless they have a previous visa not expired yet.
Old Nov 25, 2022, 3:21 pm

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by SK AAR
True, but as I understand it most EU member states no longer issue (schengen)visa to Russians. Russians can't travel to EU unless they have a previous visa not expired yet.
It's far from "most" states. Spain alone issued more than 100k visas to Russian citizens this year. Germany is also actively issuing tourist visas.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.