Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

Any pitfalls with buying multiple one way fares to international destination?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2022, 4:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: United, Starwood

Hi folks, I’m traveling from Washington to Cairo on a United codeshare that is actually Lufthansa metal. The cheapest option to buy every leg as a one way fare: IAD-FRA and then FRA-CAI and then the same for the return.

I just wanted to make sure I’m not missing any pitfalls by booking this way. Will Lufthansa check our luggage all the way through to Cairo from Washington, even though there are two one way fares, or would we have to recheck again? Any other potential pitfalls here? Thanks!
Old Sep 22, 2022, 5:19 am

Programs: LH SEN
You are actually seeing four individual one-ways (I.e. IAD-FRA + FRA-CAI + CAI-FRA + FRA-IAD) as cheaper? Wow.

LH will check through luggage on separate tickets just fine.

They will not owe you anything on a miss-connect so be sure you are comfortable that the layover durations leave enough padding for unforeseen circumstances.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 5:39 am
Original Poster

Thanks! Yes, booked as a traditional round trip the fare was $4400, but booked as four one way flights, it dropped down to $3250, a significant savings. This is in business class.

I have a 2 hour layover in both directions, so fingers crossed about no delays.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 6:10 am

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by askias
Thanks! Yes, booked as a traditional round trip the fare was $4400, but booked as four one way flights, it dropped down to $3250, a significant savings. This is in business class.

Insufficient for separate tickets.......

For one ticket, 2h is recommended but you're covered in case of misconnects. With separate tickets, a late/cancelled inbound means you're on your own for a new ticket at the walk-up fare. LH won't do anything. If it's a risk that is acceptable to you, so be it. But if things go wrong, don't complain.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.

I would never contemplate 2 hours between separate tickets, if something goes wrong it’s your responsibility, add to that FRA is one of the worst airports on the Planet for connections.
DiamondMile and wrldwide1 like this.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by mlin32
Insufficient for separate tickets.......

For one ticket, 2h is recommended but you're covered in case of misconnects. With separate tickets, a late/cancelled inbound means you're on your own for a new ticket at the walk-up fare. LH won't do anything. If it's a risk that is acceptable to you, so be it. But if things go wrong, don't complain.
Absolutely agree, especially cosidering the chaos FRA is currently.=. If you miss your FRA-CAI you would need to change the FRA-CAI-FRA ticket. Look at the fare conditions how much such a change would cost you (penalty, fare difference).
Same for your second leg on the return.
Also keep in mind that LH flies a regional plane to CAI. Not sure if you want to pay this kind of money for an economy seat with an empty middle seat on a 4 hour flight.Did you look at TK? First flight is long, better for sleeping. Second flight is shorter and has a much better seat. AF also has beter seats to CAI.
chris63, DiamondMile and wrldwide1 like this.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Thanks folks, appreciate the advice, that’s what I came for. This flight is the shortest duration unless I want to change the travel dates to take the direct flight from Egypt air. What I think I hear you saying is, if we misconnect and have connecting ticket, then Lufthansa is on the hook, with the one way ticket, then I’m on the hook. It’s essentially buying insurance. I need 4 tickets though, so it’s a 4k decision. The airport time is going to be roughly 9 am in both directions, if that matters.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 8:13 am

Programs: FB Gold
Thanks folks, appreciate the advice, that’s what I came for. This flight is the shortest duration unless I want to change the travel dates to take the direct flight from Egypt air. What I think I hear you saying is, if we misconnect and have connecting ticket, then Lufthansa is on the hook, with the one way ticket, then I’m on the hook. It’s essentially buying insurance. I need 4 tickets though, so it’s a 4k decision. The airport time is going to be roughly 9 am in both directions, if that matters.
So right smack in the middle of the peak arrivals time period.

Remember, you really have a 90mn gap between the flights, as boarding commences at least 30mn before departure.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Yes, if it’s all on one ticket it’s LH who are responsible, 4 & you are.

You could buy travel insurance in case you misconnect, some policies offer that kind of protection.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 10:45 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I'd echo what others have said, this is very risky and the possible knock on effects of having to change your 2nd or 4th leg if something happens to the 1st or 3rd flight could be costly.

Heck, you are not even guaranteed that there would be space on the next flight you would want to switch to and all that, leaving price / fare difference and such aside. The connection time catered for should be much bigger (e.g. 4hrs or so) if you attempt this and even then I'd be a tad uncomfortable.

Theoretically, it is doable, but practically it is asking for trouble. Good luck if you decide to roll the dice.
​​​​​​
Old Sep 22, 2022, 10:55 pm

Programs: LH HON
Agents may also decide not to check luggage through- as they have no obligation to do so.

There is no way in hell I’d book this
Old Sep 23, 2022, 7:15 am
Original Poster

Thank you all for your feedback, it’s most appreciated. I’ve decided to keep the outbound, but rebook it as a single ticket from IAD-FRA-CAI. I’ve changed the return entirely, and will instead go through Geneva, again on a single ticket. I wasn’t sure whether the savings from the one way tickets was worth it, and the verdict is clearly not. Thanks again for the help!
Old Sep 23, 2022, 7:18 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
I second most of the previously mentioned sentiments, but I find it *very* hard to believe that four one-ways are cheaper than a combined or maybe two combined tickets... Would you mind sharing the approximate travel times so I can check it out?

EDIT: Just checked the next 12 months in advance and I get quoted approx. 2300.- USD for a roundtrip in Business Class for pretty much all dates after November. In November I find some dates in the 3000.- USD range (the rest being 2300.-) and even in October I find many dates with below 3000.- USD fare still available and only a single one that is just barely above 4000.- USD. Unless you are planning to fly next week where prices are obviously higher, but still... Were you looking for any specific booking class? Or am I missing something? I am looking for 4 tickets so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong...

Last edited by Nick Art; Sep 23, 2022 at 7:30 am
Old Sep 23, 2022, 9:03 am
Original Poster

I’m flying next April. The prices I’ve seen have been pretty consistent across Expedia, the United website and the Chase travel portal, which is where I’ve been checking. I’m locked into that week, because of the school break, so it is what it is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.