Same Entrees in First and Biz? Really?

Old Aug 12, 2022, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by nologic
Such negativity! The criticizing of different people's opinions, despite the factual evidence to bear, is misplaced here, let alone inaccurate. I said that I enjoyed LPGS, if you bothered to actually read my post. For what it's worth, Vivino prices it at $189 and it looks like it's more generally available in the $169 range...$215 was a simple error and if anything underscores my point that LPGS is a quality product. I also cited the 4.5 rating to support my perspective, relying on objective independent ratings vs personal opinion. The ratings are the measure here, not the price, although there's often a relative correlation.

But really, there's no place for criticizing someone's opinions. You are welcome to defend 3.9 rated $99 Thienot as proper first class champagne all day long, while I point out the disparity between this offering and the standard for virtually every other non-US based international first class offering, while praising many aspects of LH's first class and the totality of the product. I just don't give LH carte blanche for cheapening out and/or poor execution. As for the free cigars, I mentioned that I experienced free cigars in the past but I also said I had no problem buying my own cigar...so not sure where you are coming from with that point?

It seems for some reason that you are going out of the way to criticize me vs. discussing the product...you can defend the few deficiencies that I have identified all you want. But please stop twisting the facts in an attempt to make a point and enough with personal attacks because I have identified product weaknesses...my pricing error only served to underscore the quality of the LPGS as an F selection, not criticize it, so you got that point wrong. And the Cigar Lounge thing -- where I made a point of saying that I'd be happy to buy my own Cohiba and enjoy it with a fine scotch or cognac -- seems misplaced commentary for the sake of negativity.

The thread stared off by calling out LH for budgeting the same entree items in C as F. Most people expect a cut above in F, and that includes the entrees. That resonated with many who have been broadly criticizing LH's apparent cost cutting on these boards. The C class entree thing, the $99 champagne, and the $60 red wine, all seem examples of a lower standard for a premium product like international first class. Many people obviously agree, but feel free to disagree. Just don't shoot the messenger.
Just get your facts right & actually try the current LH F offer
ijgordon and LoungeLizzard like this.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 11:50 am

Programs: LH HON
Originally Posted by chris63
Just get your facts right & actually try the current LH F offer
my favorite part is that the only measure for the OP seems to be the price and quantity of stuff…

while not having paid for their ticket
curt, airoli, ijgordon and 8 others like this.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 4:06 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
..But really, there's no place for criticizing someone's opinions.
That would be a horrific update to the FT TOS ....

..the disparity between this offering and the standard for virtually every other non-US based international first class offering,
But that is not factually true - look what some Chinese carriers offer for intl F products (not that it matters at the moment), or EL AL. I'd even say that BA's F is far worse than LH's.

.. I just don't give LH carte blanche for cheapening out and/or poor execution.
But you got that flight with UA's miles - imagine you had to spend them in UA F.
You can get lucky and get a really tasty schnitzel but you could also be the only 1K among GS customers and only get the lacquered chicken that's left. Sure the purser would volunteer to fetch you a snack box from the back but it would still be worse than those Biz entrees.

It seems for some reason that you are going out of the way to criticize me vs. discussing the product...
Not so much you as your approach to commiserate your future fate about having to eat a meal ante factum!
That is quite a feat, even for FT.

That resonated with many who have been broadly criticizing LH's apparent cost cutting on these boards.
Is that another thing that has not yet happened?
For us less clairvoyant, these insights are not easily accessible.

Just don't shoot the messenger.
That's nothing - you plan on poisoning the messenger with 99 EUR champagne!
Old Aug 13, 2022, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by weero

Look what some Chinese carriers offer for intl F products (not that it matters at the moment), or EL AL. I'd even say that BA's F is far worse than LH's.
I thought we were comping against big boy airlines here...I don't think anyone would include the Chinese carriers yet (unless you are including CX in that list, which you're not), or EL AL, where service is not a priority...but BA is a fair comparison...where LPGS has been a staple...and the Concorde Rooms are a very nice place to hang out...with spa treatments thrown in...and even multiple, reservable day beds/cabanas available...and where the premiere red wine is generally pretty good while the food can range from not so good to excellent...although there's no caviar, or ground service. Will have to wait for flight for the rest of the comparison, but BA and LH offer very competitive F products.

But you got that flight with UA's miles - imagine you had to spend them in UA F.
I don't know why it's remotely relevant that I redeemed Chase points for UA miles (which are fully changeable/refundable), or SQ miles or AC miles...I even considered using SQ miles to FRA and then buying a hopper to Naples...but none of that is relevant to the flights on LH.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 5:53 pm

I thought we were comping against big boy airlines here..
So the standard is no longer "non US" carriers?

I certainly have experienced the Chinese carriers enough to embrace both the positive surprises and the grotesquely bad exposures.

..unless you are including CX in that list, which you're not..
CX was always decent in the premium cabins but we don't know, if they will survive the current events.

..the Concorde Rooms are a very nice place to hang out...with spa treatments thrown in
It has been a long, long while but I remember them being inferior to the FCT/FCL,

..or ground service.
Yes - with Fast Track dead and the airport Securitate back to full power, the ground experience simply sucks.

..I don't know why it's remotely relevant that I redeemed Chase points for UA miles...
No one said it is. But if you had to redeem your UA miles on UA ... you are used to AA, so you have a comparable metric, even though the AA F experience isn't bad at all in my exposures.
chris63 and DiamondMile like this.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 7:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
So the standard is no longer "non US" carriers?

No one said it is. But if you had to redeem your UA miles on UA ... you are used to AA, so you have a comparable metric, even though the AA F experience isn't bad at all in my exposures.
I don't have UA miles. I have Chase points which can also be redeemed on SQ and AC in *A, in addition to AF, EK, and BA, so options on all three alliances.

As for the debate between BA and LH, I think they are close options...Listen, I really like scotch, so I love the whiskey bar in the FCL, if I have time and depending on the time of day, especially the King Alexander, but I always like to explore new whiskeys...Not sure which has better wines...when I was last at the Munich FCL, I would have said the BA CCR had better wines...that was back when LH provided free cigars...which "lounge" has better food...TBD...But the high BA fees pretty much tip the scales for LH, if you are talking about award redemptions...still, sometimes it's all about availability, if you are connecting within Europe and not just flying to London, Munich or Frankfurt, you take whats available and be happy. BA and LH will both provide nice F experiences.

BTW, does anyone know if the filet can be served without the Gorgonzola crust? The kids like steak but are not big fans of gorgonzola, or even hints of it. BTW, this item, as well as the crab cakes, have been on the menu since at least 2014...but so has lobster thermador on SQ...gotta love the classics, but also looking for some innovative culinary cuisine.

As for our return...I hope space opens up on LH the way back...but I am not optimistic. LH seems tighter in releasing seats ex-MUC/FRA.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As for our return...I hope space opens up on LH the way back...but I am not optimistic. LH seems tighter in releasing seats ex-MUC/FRA.
Oh heavens…. don’t tell us this saga will continue
Old Aug 14, 2022, 3:37 am

I don't have UA miles. I have Chase points which can also be redeemed on SQ and AC in *A, in addition to AF, EK, and BA, so options on all three alliances.
Technically even 4, if you count the EK outcast.
The AC First experience is a bit lacking these days though and not just because of the messy hellholes the pretty Canadian airports have become.

As for the debate between BA and LH, I think they are close options...
If you don't mind some serious ugliness on the ground and random food quality, I reckon that BA's F service is fine.
I shouldn't complain, as I never angle for F anymore - PE is the product for me and both LH and BA are pretty good there. And unlike US carriers, they offer very decent food in that class.

..so has lobster thermador on SQ...gotta love the classics, but also looking for some innovative culinary cuisine.
It's not a nuclear weapon and the thermidor is also available in Biz - this is how I met it. It has been completely revamped though and doesn't look anymore as it did in the mid 2010s.

Well, with some luck you can get onto your beloved EK. The detour will be enjoyable in F.
LoungeLizzard likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's not a nuclear weapon and the thermidor is also available in Biz - this is how I met it. It has been completely revamped though and doesn't look anymore as it did in the mid 2010s.
Radioactive Lobster, now that would be something to complain about, even on a points ticket.
LoungeLizzard and DiamondMile like this.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 2:36 pm

Overplanning / overthinking tends to end in disappointment, at least for me. 90% of my transatlantic are in business class, so I tremendously enjoy the occasional LH F flight, certainly out of FRA. A few glasses of whatever champagne they serve that day, a light meal and a comfy bed, all good. Let’s not forget that on any given LH flight there’s another 300 or so pax behind the lucky 8, out of which 200 are in complete misery. Just enjoy the ride, it will all be ok.
curt, IAN-UK, cricketer and 5 others like this.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by shipsmail
I do not recall…but was it always so that the menu for FIRST and Business on longhaul ist exactly the same for the food (except the caviar) on inbound flights? I saw that for my flight JFK-MUC today.
While BOS-MUC had the same entree selections for business and first, MUC-BOS had completely different menus. So, LH clearly recognizes the concept of at least trying to provide something more special/different for F pax, despite the fact that they didn't bother to try BOS-MUC.

For BOS-MUC, I tried the lacquered pork which consisted of two very thin slices of pork in a not so special sauce.

For MUC-BOS, I opted for the veal schnitzel, which was disappointingly soggy. (The sea bass was the winner on that menu.)
Old Oct 28, 2022, 12:26 am

Programs: LH HON
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
** The menu was different from what I found online **

After Takeoff

Appetizers

Spiced grilled Shrimp, Celery Root and Green Apple Salad, caramelized dried Fig, spiced candied Pecans

Prosciutto, red Heirloom Tomato, peeled yellow Cherry Tomato, peel red Cherry Tomato served with Stracchino Cream, Watercress, Balsamic Pearls

Broiled Goat Cheese, grilled Artichoke, Char grilled and roasted Bell Pepper garnished with Kalamata Olive, Lemon Herb Vinaigrette

Main Courses

Seared Veal Medallion with Green Peppercorn Sauce, Baby Zucchini, caramelized Fennel, roasted Cherry Tomato and Anna Potato with Herbs

Almond crusted Halibut with Yellow Thai Curry Vegetables, steamed Basmati Rice and Yellow Thai Curry

Soft Polenta with grated Parmesan, Porcini and Button Mushroom Ragout, Baby Spinach, Salsa Verde, Caper and Dijon Mustard, Cherry Tomato Confit

Cheese and Dessert

Double Gloucester, Manchego Cheese and Rougette Cheese, garnished with Walnut Halves and Grapes

Häagen-Dazs Dulce De Leche Ice Cream

Express Service

If you need more time to work or relax we offer you a cold Express Meal at any time instead of the complete multi-course dinner: your choice of appetizer, cheese and dessert upon your request.

Before Landing

Fresh Orange Juice
Fresh Fruit
Continental Breakfast
Greek Vanilla Yogurt with Acai and Blueberry Puree and dried Fruit

LH 401, 403, 411, 413, 417, 419, 431, 437 10/2022
Exactly the same menu like in First on this route. The only difference: F has Caviar additionally.

Last edited by oliver2002; Oct 28, 2022 at 12:58 am Reason: removed quoted images
Old Oct 28, 2022, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Exactly the same menu like in First on this route. The only difference: F has Caviar additionally.
However F costs a tad more
Old Oct 28, 2022, 1:23 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Not exactly, but there are similarities. Some of the menu items sound identical and differ predominantly in presentation and portion size. However, usually there are additional starters and one or two F mains that are not available in J. Currently, the published menu for LH411 has two additional starters, five mains instead of three, two desserts instead of one etc. Plus freshly prepared scrambled eggs for breakfast instead of reheated glob.

So it's not just the caviar and the LPGS, but differences between J and F catering are definitely smaller on the inbound flights.
Old Oct 28, 2022, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
I was going to say that the J photos above look better than F, compared to some recent flights.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.