Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Same Entrees in First and Biz? Really?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2022, 4:12 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cfischer
it has been like that for quite some time.
Yes, and as far as I know it only applies to flights ex-US. There was some discussion about it in the C and F menu thread.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luft...rst-class.html

P.S. It appears this practice started in 2018. I came across my own comment from September 2018 which I found amusing:
Since it was a late departure I decided to eat in the Polaris Lounge in SFO and only had some appetisers and chowder (which didn’t taste like crab despite what it said on the menu) on the plane. Perhaps my attempt to pick an option they did not serve in Business was a mistake.
chris63 likes this.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Aug 3, 2022 at 5:09 pm
Old Aug 3, 2022, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by theKrafty1tar;[url=tel:34482281
34482281]Exactly! It’s all about perception. Perhaps its an indication that business class catering is excellent and in F-class level . (But in all honesty I can’t see how this is Lufthansa sending some “message”. I can’t think of any time I have ever compared the menus between first and business on my flights)

Whatever it is, I wouldn’t whine and make it seem like the end of the world! It’s only one dish. Rest assured you will most likely enjoy it, and if not you can always ask for an alternative! Appetizers, soup, dessert and Breakfast on the flight will be different from C.

At least the bed and bedding will be light years ahead of the C product. Definitely the most important part of the trip (as the food in F no matter the airline is still… reheated airplane food)
I’m sorry, I don’t think it’s typical…Frankly they could pay the same amount and serve different things and it would create a different perception… The expectation in first class Is that everything is amped up, especially among the premium first class airlines, which transatlantic includes LH.

But we do find this on AA. I think the primary point of differentiation between the food in first versus business on AA is a hot fudge sundae versus a cup of Häagen-Dazs ice cream. Certainly the wines are better on AA in first and they serve a mediocre additional appetizer not on the business class menu.

But the comparison shouldn’t be to low end carriers like AA.

There is a message here…people can ignore or choose to debate whether it’s meaningful or not, but basically for those who become aware of the two menus, the messages is that first class is receiving business class entrées.

And then of course when you match that the fact that LH is now serving a mediocre Thieniot $90 in first class in August, you just got to wonder what Lufthansa is trying to do with its first class food and beverage product?
Old Aug 3, 2022, 8:26 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by nologic
I’m sorry, I don’t think it’s typical…Frankly they could pay the same amount and serve different things and it would create a different perception… The expectation in first class Is that everything is amped up, especially among the premium first class airlines, which transatlantic includes LH.
It may not be typical and yes, the 2% of people who actually put two and two together and realize this will be horrified that an airline is trying to make the same meals in bulk across two premium classes for some kind of profit.

I've always found the service, caviar, champagne, bed, etc top notch on LH F, and the mains mediocre every time. I usually get all three appetizers, the salad, and the soup to compensate, and eat in the lounge prior. It doesn't bother me that the mains are shared, but I can see how it may offend some people (who can fly other airlines or write a complaint). Certainly BOS-MUC is so quick that I personally would rather go to sleep than endure the 'business class' main *gasp*.

The FCT / car transfer on top of everything else are big F differentiators for me and why I still choose LH F. Happy flying!
Old Aug 4, 2022, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
There is a message here…people can ignore or choose to debate whether it’s meaningful or not, but basically for those who become aware of the two menus, the messages is that first class is receiving business class entrées.
For us in business-class, the message is that we are receiving first-class entrées. I reckon that positive spin might balance out any inconsequential impact on demand for Lufthansa's first-class service.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 4:58 am

Programs: LH HON/AF Gold
Originally Posted by seanp7
It may not be typical and yes, the 2% of people who actually put two and two together and realize this will be horrified that an airline is trying to make the same meals in bulk across two premium classes for some kind of profit.

I've always found the service, caviar, champagne, bed, etc top notch on LH F, and the mains mediocre every time. I usually get all three appetizers, the salad, and the soup to compensate, and eat in the lounge prior. It doesn't bother me that the mains are shared, but I can see how it may offend some people (who can fly other airlines or write a complaint). Certainly BOS-MUC is so quick that I personally would rather go to sleep than endure the 'business class' main *gasp*.

The FCT / car transfer on top of everything else are big F differentiators for me and why I still choose LH F. Happy flying!
Not typical, but not unheard of either... For fun I had a look at the EK menus on BOS-DXB for F and C. Lo and behold, 3 business class mains appear on the first class menu (I chose a random date in September). Sure, there are 3 other Main options in F but just goes to show.

Anyway, like you mentioned the seat, bedding, FCT/FCL's and everything else is a much bigger reason for booking F for most people.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 6:47 am

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH

But we do find this on AA. I think the primary point of differentiation between the food in first versus business on AA is a hot fudge sundae versus a cup of Häagen-Dazs ice cream. Certainly the wines are better on AA in first and they serve a mediocre additional appetizer not on the business class menu.

But the comparison shouldn’t be to low end carriers like AA.

And then of course when you match that the fact that LH is now serving a mediocre Thieniot $90 in first class in August, you just got to wonder what Lufthansa is trying to do with its first class food and beverage product?
A lot of complaining before the flight and not only in this topic. Maybe you should forget about LH F, it is below of your F standard. Just take UA or LH business to avoid dissapoitment and possible whining during the trip? I already pray for the F crew, for PA in FCT and for the driver who may take you to the plane with VW van, not with Porsche.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by Jaenks
A lot of complaining before the flight and not only in this topic. Maybe you should forget about LH F, it is below of your F standard. Just take UA or LH business to avoid dissapoitment and possible whining during the trip? I already pray for the F crew, for PA in FCT and for the driver who may take you to the plane with VW van, not with Porsche.
+ 1

I never saw this sense of negativity prior to any flight
Old Aug 4, 2022, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Jaenks
Agreed. Privat Jet perhaps? LH F is one of the best products overall - the OP should enjoy this first time experience and all the good things that come with it. it is sad how one can be so unexcited about flying international F Although I fly it many times a year, I am still excited every time I get to go
Old Aug 4, 2022, 1:13 pm

Programs: LH HON/AF Gold
Originally Posted by cfischer
Agreed. Privat Jet perhaps? LH F is one of the best products overall - the OP should enjoy this first time experience and all the good things that come with it. it is sad how one can be so unexcited about flying international F Although I fly it many times a year, I am still excited every time I get to go
I feel the same way! I have multiple (paid) F trips every year. Never have I analyzed them to this extent. Sure- could they be better in some aspects? Absolutely! But nobody is perfect.

Not to mention that OP booked this with UA miles (as mentioned in one of the NUMEROUS threads in this forum)… definitely not the the target audience for LH…
chris63 and rt23456p like this.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 4:34 pm

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
LH F and J have probably same entrees from US. Disaster some may say!
AA F has hot fudge sundae and AA J has just cup of Häagen-Dazs. Hot fudge sundae is made from the same cup of vanilla Häagen-Dazs, just taken out and covered with hot fudge. The magic is done! Feel the difference between F and J!
What comes to champagne and other alcohol, there is absolutely no obligation to drink alcohol on a board. Especially any with mediocre quality and lowly priced.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 6:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by theKrafty1tar
I feel the same way! I have multiple (paid) F trips every year. Never have I analyzed them to this extent. Sure- could they be better in some aspects? Absolutely! But nobody is perfect.

Not to mention that OP booked this with UA miles (as mentioned in one of the NUMEROUS threads in this forum)… definitely not the the target audience for LH…
I booked on UA miles using Chase Sapphire points and have dozens of paid and award F flights on the likes of AF (regular and Concorde), BA (regular and Concorde), LX, CX, SQ, JL, and QF, in addition to three prior F trips on LH. I have never flown UA F, and 3x flown AA Int'l F when I negotiated for 3 free F int'l tickets from AA to anywhere in exchange for AA becoming the designated airline sponsor for an international conference I created and managed. So I took those AA flights to Japan and China.

Last edited by nologic; Aug 4, 2022 at 6:33 pm
Old Aug 4, 2022, 11:34 pm

Programs: LH HON
I booked on UA miles using Chase Sapphire points and have dozens of paid and award F flights on the likes of AF (regular and Concorde), BA (regular and Concorde), LX, CX, SQ, JL, and QF, in addition to three prior F trips on LH. I have never flown UA F, and 3x flown AA Int'l F when I negotiated for 3 free F int'l tickets from AA to anywhere in exchange for AA becoming the designated airline sponsor for an international conference I created and managed. So I took those AA flights to Japan and China.
congratulations.
not that this has anything to do with anything
ijgordon, chris63, trooper and 4 others like this.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 6:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by daumueller
congratulations.
not that this has anything to do with anything
it was a response to theKrafty1tar’s unjustified criticism above that because I booked with UA miles, I was not in a position to comment or provide insights, because I’m “not the the target audience for LH…”
Old Aug 5, 2022, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
it was a response to theKrafty1tar’s unjustified criticism above that because I booked with UA miles, I was not in a position to comment or provide insights, because I’m “not the the target audience for LH…”
That was an opinion & not unjustified at all
Obviously LH want’s paid pax in it’s F seats.

Rubbishing the current LH F offering before you experience it, is not the norm in any Forum i see here of FT.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 11:31 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by chris63
+ 1

I never saw this sense of negativity prior to any flight
I did. In a documentary about the Doolittle Raid.

I’m sorry, I don’t think it’s typical…Frankly they could pay the same amount and serve different things and it would create a different perception…
For the 5 people who read both the First and Biz class menu, yes.

Of whom one travels in F....
DiamondMile likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.