Wiki Posts
Search

Baggage allowance for a *G United award ticket on Eurowings

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2022, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Baggage allowance for a *G United award ticket on Eurowings

I have a question on baggage allowance for a Eurowings flight from PRG-CPH. I want to know if my Star Gold status allows me 2 bags per person, or if I have to purchase bags for my Eurowings flight.

This is an award flight booked with United miles, and ticket on United stock (016xxx). SAS however is managing the flight and booking because the full itinerary PRG-SFO includes a longer flight on SAS (PRG-CPH --> stop 5 days --> CPH-SFO).

I don't know if my Eurowings ticket is a Basic or Smart ticket (how do I find out?)

I reached out to Eurowings via FB Messenger, and got only an acknowledgement but no reply. SAS phone hold times are 4 hours+.

Blogs tell me *G lounge access is a no, which is fine, but I would like to know about baggage on a low cost carrier. Anyone have experience with this and know baggage allowance limits, or what ticket type (Basic/Smart) a United award books into for Eurowings?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by santhosh.kharvi; Aug 1, 2022 at 3:57 pm
Old Aug 1, 2022, 12:57 pm

Eurowings is not part of *A, your *G doesn’t give you any benefits. But you might be lucky if they honor to MSC rule (which would make SAS baggage allowance to stick)
Old Aug 2, 2022, 3:22 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Eurowings has GDS SMART fares which are almost identical to SMART and are used for proper tickets bought from channels other than EW itself. Your ticket should fall under it.

There is no extra bag free for FF on EW. I would not expect them to honor SAS rule when not through checking.

EW used to give lounge access to UA *G, looks like that option is gone.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fassy
Eurowings is not part of *A, your *G doesn’t give you any benefits. But you might be lucky if they honor to MSC rule (which would make SAS baggage allowance to stick)
The SAS flight is the second flight, and this is a stopover not a connection in CPH, so like you said, I doubt MSC will stick.

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
Eurowings has GDS SMART fares which are almost identical to SMART and are used for proper tickets bought from channels other than EW itself. Your ticket should fall under it.

There is no extra bag free for FF on EW. I would not expect them to honor SAS rule when not through checking.

EW used to give lounge access to UA *G, looks like that option is gone.
Thanks! A SMART fare works just fine for me, as we have 1 carry-on each and those come included with the SMART fare.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 8:24 am
Original Poster

A new datapoint. After looking at my reservation, I see the booking class for this flight is U. Is there a translation somewhere for whether this books to SMART or BASIC?
Old Aug 2, 2022, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by santhosh.kharvi
A new datapoint. After looking at my reservation, I see the booking class for this flight is U. Is there a translation somewhere for whether this books to SMART or BASIC?
Well...

Across Lufthansa group, all letter fare classes in economy come in all three flavors - Light, Classic and Flex. Eurowings calls Light Basic and Classic Smart.

Eurowings differs from rest of the Group in that it does its own ticketing outside of IATA etix space. If you buy a ticket on Eurowings web, it's not a proper ticket as such. ("Ticketless" channel in EW-speak)
They do also sell proper tickets through GDSs as well.

Now here comes the unusual part.

Eurowings does not sell Basic through GDS.
All fare codes except I and J are non-flex. I and J are Smart Flex and Biz Flex respectively.

And here comes the weird for you part: EW does not do U fare.
Your U fare is United U, not EW U. I have no idea what UA U maps to in EW.

One way or another... it's not Basic. Basic only exists in Ticketless.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
As a UA*G you have access to LH lounges when flying EW. EW is not *A so do not expect any *A benefits such as extra bag allowance.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Well...

Across Lufthansa group, all letter fare classes in economy come in all three flavors - Light, Classic and Flex. Eurowings calls Light Basic and Classic Smart.

Eurowings differs from rest of the Group in that it does its own ticketing outside of IATA etix space. If you buy a ticket on Eurowings web, it's not a proper ticket as such. ("Ticketless" channel in EW-speak)

All fare codes except I and J are non-flex. I and J are Smart Flex and Biz Flex respectively.

That is good to know. As long as we are not 'basic', we should be good Thanks for the detail.

Originally Posted by cfischer
As a UA*G you have access to LH lounges when flying EW. EW is not *A so do not expect any *A benefits such as extra bag allowance.
Yes - we have no checked bags so don't need extra bag allowance. Looks like we do get a carry-on each, which works for us.

Another interesting thing I learned is that you have a lap infant, you get a free checked bag (23kg) on Eurowings. We have a lap infant, so that will help in case we need it for any reason. I don't know too many airlines that offer this for lap infants, so it's nice on Eurowings' part.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 2:13 pm

I believe this has been enhanced away for EW, now only available for 4Y.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I believe this has been enhanced away for EW, now only available for 4Y.
and your experience with that is what, please? I have not had any issues getting into LH lounges on EW flights.

This is from united.com:
  • Premier Gold, Platinum and 1K®: members are eligible for access to Lufthansa lounges where available
Old Aug 5, 2022, 3:46 am

and your experience with that is what, please? I have not had any issues getting into LH lounges on EW flights.

This is from united.com:
  • Premier Gold, Platinum and 1K®: members are eligible for access to Lufthansa lounges where available
I would expect that eurowings.com is a higher level authority on lounge access than united.com, it clearly states that EW only grants access to HON, SEN and FTL, while 4Y also to UA*G and AC*G.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 10:28 am

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
I have recent experience with no issue on lounge access on Eurowings flight as UA 1K.
Thursday this week I am happy to retest the theory for everyone.
Safe travels.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would expect that eurowings.com is a higher level authority on lounge access than united.com, it clearly states that EW only grants access to HON, SEN and FTL, while 4Y also to UA*G and AC*G.
Well, you are mistaken. UA has an agreement with LH to allow UA*G access to LH lounges when flying EW. There are a number of these special arrangements. The Swiss arrival lounge in ZRH is another example: nowhere does it state you have access arriving on UA in business class ... yet you do.

The lounge access is not EW-based and it does e.g. not include LX/OS lounges ... it is only LH lounges.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Well...

As it turns out, this ticket looks to be Basic. I obtained the EW confirmation (previously I had only the SAS confirmation as this booking is managed by SAS) and looked up the booking on the EW site.

From the screenshot below, it says Basic for both flights (PRG-CPH and CPH-SFO) below. I have to head to the airport in a few days, so I'll confirm it then.

Old Aug 10, 2022, 1:13 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The ticket/confirmation you got from United is the key here, it will show the baggage allowance. In PRG, EW has not contracted any lounge, in CPH you can get into the SAS lounge for your flight to SFO and get fast track security. On the way back no lounge for UA*G on EW in CPH.
cfischer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.