Carryon and medical syringes

Old Jul 18, 2022, 7:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Diamond AMB, M&M SEN
Carryon and medical syringes

Hi all,

We are about to take several Intra Europe flights on Lufthansa and LOT.
I wanted to ask from your experience Is it allowed to have medical syringes in the carryon baggage? If yes do we need (and do you know what kind of) to provide a supporting documentation regarding their usage?

As from my perspective this is a sharp object I tried to find information on Lufthansa, LOT and in the forum, alas no definitive answer.

Thank you in advance.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 9:22 am

No problem flying with medical syringes in the carryon - that's where they belong especially given the higher probability of checked luggage getting lost this Summer.

In practice, we've rarely (if ever) been asked for any documentation in Europe but still, it is certainly better to have a paper from your MD should you meet a zealous security officer. No specific format that i am aware of, just stating that due to (disease), passenger X needs medicine Y to be injected by syringe.
koriobg likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 2:28 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
No problem whatsoever. In fact you are supposed to carry medication in your hand luggage.
koriobg likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 3:33 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Same here. No issues when the TSA or European equivalent agent looked through my carry on. They saw them and couldnt care less.
And a 30g needle is much less dangerous than a paper clip
koriobg likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 7:00 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
If the patient holds still you can save lives:

Old Jul 24, 2022, 5:01 pm

Programs: AC E75K, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by blitzen
Same here. No issues when the TSA or European equivalent agent looked through my carry on. They saw them and couldnt care less.
And a 30g needle is much less dangerous than a paper clip
We have never been asked about medical syringes any where in the world. In BKK one time, they did ask why my wife had 4 x 3 types of prefilled insulin pens. We just said it was a 3 week vacation and needed them just in case and they were happy with that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.