Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lufthansa - Rebooking return flight and changing initial airport??

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2022, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Lufthansa - Rebooking return flight and changing initial airport??

I will be rebooking my original flight back on Lufthansa which is VCE->MUC>IAD>TPA (I know, beautiful itinerary) I have a little extran time over here and the thought of traveling back during the airport messes is daunting.

I am trying to cut out the first leg, i am only going out of Venice because I had booked a RT fare into Venice as I was accompanying a family member to Europe. Given that they can charge a fare difference for rebooking anyway, is there a reason I can't cut out this first leg? I don't need to go back to Venice and prefer not to. I am flexible as to any other city on LH or UA on way back out of Europe. Am I missing something here? I had never booked directly on LH so a am not sure if there is something I am doing incorrectly. Thank you!
Old Jul 5, 2022, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
If your VCE-FRA is retimed or cancelled you can ask to have it removed from the itinerary. If not, any change of point of departure for the return segments will require rebooking with change fee, fare difference etc. If paying change fee and fare difference is no issue to you, by all means go ahead and change the ticket as you wish (contact LH to rebook); I'm not sure I understand your Q.
iLied likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 5:06 am

Programs: Miles & More, BA Executive Club
Just note if you’re rebooking voluntarily for July, your original fare will not be available so your fare will be recalculated into Y.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SK AAR
If your VCE-FRA is retimed or cancelled you can ask to have it removed from the itinerary. If not, any change of point of departure for the return segments will require rebooking with change fee, fare difference etc. If paying change fee and fare difference is no issue to you, by all means go ahead and change the ticket as you wish (contact LH to rebook); I'm not sure I understand your Q.
Thanks very much for your response. I am just trying to cut out the first leg because I have to fly to Venice to take it. When I go online to rebook (the entire flight end-to-end) at a small to larger fee, depending on day etc., it won't let me just drop the first leg. It requires VCE as outbound. Would rather fly out of FRA, MUC, anywhere really. I am thinking I may just have to call them....
Old Jul 6, 2022, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Yes, you def. can't do such rebooking online. You need to call to rebook, but be prepared for a presumably huge fare dífference by rebooking to start from FRA or MUC.
theKrafty1tar likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 10:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If possible, start by looking at your fare rules. It would be useful to know whether your fare applies only for RT tickets or would permit an OJ too. Also, AFAIK the historical pricing after outbound has been flown rule wouldn't apply if you change to no longer return from VCE, so I suspect this would force the entire trip to be re-priced. It will be expensive but probably not require FULL Y fares as someone suggested above.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SK AAR
Yes, you def. can't do such rebooking online. You need to call to rebook, but be prepared for a presumably huge fare dífference by rebooking to start from FRA or MUC.
Thanks! I am not super picky - just would prefer not to schlep to Venice if possible because a bit of a pain to get there. When I used UA miles a few years ago i went out of Prague to get a better deal.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If possible, start by looking at your fare rules. It would be useful to know whether your fare applies only for RT tickets or would permit an OJ too. Also, AFAIK the historical pricing after outbound has been flown rule wouldn't apply if you change to no longer return from VCE, so I suspect this would force the entire trip to be re-priced. It will be expensive but probably not require FULL Y fares as someone suggested above.
Will do, thanks! I flew business on the way and the way back is Y VCE->Munich; E for Prem Economy for Munich->IAD; Y for IAD to TPA.
I am also getting concerned about all the stories with missed connections, lost luggage etc., hence another reason i would like to cut out a leg. Have been in europe awhile and actually have some luggage.

I don't really want to fly EW Discover but saw there are ones operated by Finnair

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.