Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

LH to close booking classes (except Y/G/J/F) on EU and select US routes till July 5

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LH to close booking classes (except Y/G/J/F) on EU and select US routes till July 5

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2022, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
My guess is that this removes married segment logic for inventory availability too as I generally wouldn't expect married segments to apply to
)
nope. There is married segment nonsense even for J. Ran into that last month.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 11:42 am
formerly Sleepy_Sentry

Can I just book a bunch of refundable tickets, hope LH cancels <14 days in, and file EU261?
Old Jul 4, 2022, 12:02 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GfL, Lufthansa SEN, Hilton Diamond, misc other stuff
Originally Posted by Sleepy_Sentry
Can I just book a bunch of refundable tickets, hope LH cancels <14 days in, and file EU261?
Even Economy Light books into Y depending on the route/availability. I have some 800 Euro tickets where LH is seriously asking advance seat reservation fees from a Senator. Oh, and they offer 300 Euro Y->Business upgrades.

Playing the compensation game should work, but make sure that you are booking flexible tickets, not just Y class.
danielflyer, Fabo.sk and iLied like this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 12:25 pm
formerly Sleepy_Sentry

Originally Posted by El_Duderito
Even Economy Light books into Y depending on the route/availability. I have some 800 Euro tickets where LH is seriously asking advance seat reservation fees from a Senator. Oh, and they offer 300 Euro Y->Business upgrades.

Playing the compensation game should work, but make sure that you are booking flexible tickets, not just Y class.
Looks like you would need to book Flexible J-- thanks. Curious what would happen if I file too many EU261 claims or cancel too many refundable fares.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 12:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by daumueller
while I generally agree, it makes more sense than selling 1000s of extra tickets that need to be rebooked
What makes more sense is making sure you have enough staff to operate properly at pre-virus levels - everyone laid off or furloughed should have been called back a long time ago. It doesn't matter if it's LH, UA or DL or anyone else - the level of stifling incompetence shown by a global cabal of idiotic airline executives is almost incomprehensible, and it's time government steps in to hold these people accountable for their strategic blunders.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by bocastephen
What makes more sense is making sure you have enough staff to operate properly at pre-virus levels - everyone laid off or furloughed should have been called back a long time ago. It doesn't matter if it's LH, UA or DL or anyone else - the level of stifling incompetence shown by a global cabal of idiotic airline executives is almost incomprehensible, and it's time government steps in to hold these people accountable for their strategic blunders.
Exactly & they took tax payers cash to stay afloat, now they are shafting those same taxpayers, it was a no lose situation for LH group, only people who suffer are the pax & the employees they got rid of
Old Jul 4, 2022, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Looks like you would need to book Flexible J-- thanks. Curious what would happen if I file too many EU261 claims or cancel too many refundable fares.
LH usually play hardball with all EU261 claims unless you are SEN or HON & they realise it’s not going to work out for them
iLied and Deckter like this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quite interesting but not new, KL did it for a bit?

If you’re premium then you’re embarrassed to have anything but full fare RBD’s on your boarding pass so nothing changes

If you know your place then you should have a carnet of tickets, there’s been many opportunities to buy. This doesn’t affect you.

It’s a fascinating test that a rev man would love, a whole month of seeing if people will pay full fare for your crap product, LH’s monopoly position has let them milk the DACH market for decades, entirely approved by those governments and the EC. Now you get to milk them even more .

On the climate side of things I’ve wondered how the market would respond if flying became very expensive so people could only afford to fly less. Less capacity, fewer flights, higher revenue per seat and lower deadly carbon emissions.
iLied likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 2:20 pm

Programs: Miles & More, BA Executive Club
I don’t remember KL doing this. I’ve seen LO do this for flights to UA.

KL did order planes to return to AMS empty in order to clear the backlog.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 2:45 pm
Suspended

Why would LH do this?
Old Jul 4, 2022, 3:32 pm

Programs: LH SEN/*G
Originally Posted by hugolover

On the climate side of things I’ve wondered how the market would respond if flying became very expensive so people could only afford to fly less. Less capacity, fewer flights, higher revenue per seat and lower deadly carbon emissions.
Unfortunately it's hard for us to see the impact of this, as July's flights were already on sale for a long time at the usual array of fares. All they've done is more-or-less frozen the July market pretty much in July. (anyone trying to rebook an economy fare to a different flight is in for a heck of a fare-difference shock).

A true test would be to put *next* July's flights on sale only in C/Y and leave them there and see what that looks like. Oddly, I wonder if load factors would plummet but the number of flights would stay static and profitability roughly level. Pricing the true cost of carbon into Jet-A seems to be only the assured way to cut flights/emissions.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 3:33 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold (ex-75K), Bonvoy Titanium, Recovering United 1K
Originally Posted by bakrgby
Why would LH do this?
With the SAS strike starting and a few others imminent, maybe they are counting on those carriers to pay them more to rebook passengers?
Old Jul 4, 2022, 5:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Sounds like a great plan! I guess we can use flightaware to search for the most frequently canceled flights.
danielflyer likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 5:39 pm

Programs: LH HON
Expertflyer is showing C, Z and even P for some US destinations now!
Old Jul 4, 2022, 9:30 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
It's the result of overbooked summer flights. Airlines sold too many seats. Airports and airlines don't have enough staff to make it work. This is a smart decision. After a greedy one!
iLied likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.