LH transatlantic cancelled... no way to contact LH

Old Jun 23, 22, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
LH transatlantic cancelled... no way to contact LH

I got a message saying my flight on Monday was cancelled.
I cannot modify it on the website.
The chat function tells me to call.
When I call the service center says it can no longer accept calls due to extraordinary call volume.
Any suggestions? So incredibly frustrating.
Old Jun 23, 22, 2:08 pm

Programs: ST E+, *G, some hotel gold...
Try a couple of other countries. Skype is your friend to get good rates if your carrier charges too much for international.
Old Jun 23, 22, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA-PP, Marriott(T)
Is this for the JFK>FRA flight? I'm trying to figure this out as well. it seems to be happening all over for LH, and makes no sense. "Staff shortage" doesn't add up to why the transatlantic routes would be cut like this, and in advance?

Last edited by voweffekt; Jun 23, 22 at 2:26 pm
Old Jun 23, 22, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
No it's for BOS-FRA on Monday.
I just called LH and got through on the French line.
PATHETIC customer service. It is a Business class ticket issued by AC with miles.
They refuse to reaccommodate as it wasn't issued by LH.
Old Jun 23, 22, 3:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by bostontraveler View Post
PATHETIC customer service. It is a Business class ticket issued by AC with miles.
Afaik this is normal. Until the booking moves under airport control at t-24 the only organisation that should change it is the agent that issued it. Not just lh that works this way
Old Jun 23, 22, 3:29 pm

Programs: BAEC

I have had to re-book this evening. Called in the last hour or so. Got through in less than 5 minutes and all sorted now. Keep trying?
Old Jun 23, 22, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by voweffekt View Post
Is this for the JFK>FRA flight? I'm trying to figure this out as well. it seems to be happening all over for LH, and makes no sense. "Staff shortage" doesn't add up to why the transatlantic routes would be cut like this, and in advance?
There are a couple of TATL flights that have been cancelled in advance. 470/471 has also been cancelled for Saturday.
Old Jun 23, 22, 5:29 pm

Programs: DL DM
We had a similar situation as we were on FRA-ATL this past Sunday (19 Jun) that was cancelled about 12 hours before departure. No notification I just happened to check the app one last time before going to sleep. Ticketed in business using Aeroplan miles. The LH agent refused to help claiming that AC had to provide assistance which was clearly incorrect given it was inside T-24 however she was unrelenting. Typically would HUCA as I knew she wasn't right; however it had taken me more than 90 minutes to get through and well past midnight so HUCA wasn't palatable. Called Aeroplan and they also couldn't help since it was inside T-24 so ended up taking a partial refund (FRA-ATL was the second leg) and rebooking FRA to another US gateway then making our way home. A really disappointing experience but seems to be a routine occurrence these days.
Old Jun 23, 22, 7:12 pm

Programs: ba silver
Just call Aeroplan and ask them to rebook. They can look for award space on other airlines or rebook on any AC flight down to the last seat. I suggest transit through YUL as you go from US arrivals to international departures via a special desk. Same thing with YYZ.

Aeroplan is quite easy going with these changes and they do it regularly as in some cases the law requires them to do so. If you had been in Canada LH would have been legally required to put you on their next flight, or on any airline if the delay is more than nine hours.
Old Jun 23, 22, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Aeroplan tried to be helpful but the problem is there is nothing available-- flights are totally sold out.

They told me what I thought... why is it that LH didn't protect me on another flight... Truth is that all of the BOS-FRA/MUC flights are zeroed out for days.

I have Amex (FR) insurance which covers incidental expenses but since I am staying with friends I honestly won't have any real ones except the FRA-CDG which I will lose (bought a separate ticket) they surely won't cover.

Anyone know if I could invoke EC261 here? This was a OW ticket although I originated in CDG.

Thank you for the advice!
Old Jun 23, 22, 10:25 pm

Anyone know if I could invoke EC261 here? This was a OW ticket although I originated in CDG.
For a cancelled flight BOS-FRA on LH EC261 does apply.

It depends on the reason of cancellation, if you’ll get compensation. LH sometimes tries to argue, that high rates of sick calls due to corona are extraordinary circumstances.

Other aspects of EC261 apply independently of the reason of cancellation (hotel, food, rebooking).
bostontraveler and weero like this.
Old Jun 24, 22, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite, UA Plat
Aeroplan tried to be helpful but the problem is there is nothing available-- flights are totally sold out.

They told me what I thought... why is it that LH didn't protect me on another flight... Truth is that all of the BOS-FRA/MUC flights are zeroed out for days.

I have Amex (FR) insurance which covers incidental expenses but since I am staying with friends I honestly won't have any real ones except the FRA-CDG which I will lose (bought a separate ticket) they surely won't cover.

Thank you for the advice!
Maybe I am wrong, but I am finding it hard to believe there is **nothing*** available from the East Coast of the US to Germany(ish) on Star Alliance. IAD? EWR? etc. Sorry this is happening to you.
Old Jun 24, 22, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AsiaTravel2019 View Post
Maybe I am wrong, but I am finding it hard to believe there is **nothing*** available from the East Coast of the US to Germany(ish) on Star Alliance. IAD? EWR? etc. Sorry this is happening to you.
In business class, with an award apparently not for the next few days. Looks like this was a major announcement (of cancellations) yesterday because of staffing problems and Covid absences. The flights were already zeroed out even last week.
Doesn’t look great on ExpertFlyer either.
Old Jun 24, 22, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thbe View Post
For a cancelled flight BOS-FRA on LH EC261 does apply.

It depends on the reason of cancellation, if you’ll get compensation. LH sometimes tries to argue, that high rates of sick calls due to corona are extraordinary circumstances.

Other aspects of EC261 apply independently of the reason of cancellation (hotel, food, rebooking).
I just looked on LH.com and it says compensation is only for “public” fares. Is an award ticket a public fare? Or is that referring to industry/employee fare exclusions?
Old Jun 24, 22, 2:06 pm

I just looked on LH.com and it says compensation is only for “public” fares. Is an award ticket a public fare? Or is that referring to industry/employee fare exclusions?
EC261 applies to award tickets as well. Delays, cancellation and denied boarding are handled the same way. Only a downgrade is more complicated.

After a cancellation it’s your right to get booked on any available flight. It‘s not necessary that an award booking class is available. It doesn’t have to be LHG metal either, even if LHG often denies that option.
bostontraveler likes this.

Search this Thread