FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more-495/)
-   -   Late LH flight caused UA flight to be missed - compensation question (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/2084139-late-lh-flight-caused-ua-flight-missed-compensation-question.html)

chuck1 Jun 23, 2022 7:11 am

Late LH flight caused UA flight to be missed - compensation question

Hello.
We were flying on paid P fare VCE-FRA (LH) then FRA-IAD (UA).
Tickets were 016. I am 1K.

LH inbound late into VCE. Turn around was slow then remote parking with no busses.

Ran to gate in FRA and plane was just pushing back.

UA gate staff said to go to LH service center.

That same evening got rebooked on LH to LHR with overnight and UA the next day LHR-IAD all in business.

016 tickets reissued to 220.

LH said I had to write in to for reimbursement for hotel in London. We were told that in FRA and LHR at the LH service desk FRA and LH ticketing desk LHR.

I booked Hilton Garden Inn but it was GBP 512 due to transit strike. However there were three of us and we shared a room and had dinner.

I was told we need to write into LH for compensation for hotel and dinner. Is that right?

Also, I bought a 016 which would have gotten me x11 for mileage. Now I got 220 for our return flight back to IAD.. What can I do?

Thanks.

PTahCha Jun 23, 2022 7:22 am

For reimbursement - yes LH is responsible, since they are the carrier who made you missed the flight.

For mileage - if there's an UA segment, something would post with the 11x multiplier for 1K members. If the amount does not match expected number of miles, call in and ask for original routing credit.

RobOnLI Jun 23, 2022 8:34 am

And don't forget EU261 compensation. You were severely delayed due to LH on an intra-Europe flight. I think you'll be owed 600 Euros but someone with more EU 261 knowledge will have better details.

-RM

Kacee Jun 23, 2022 8:41 am

LH owes you for hotel under EU261 duty of care. You should also request the 600 euro for flight delay, but LH will almost certainly deny that request.

You can make the request via the "feedback and contact" form on the Lufthansa website. They're very prompt about denying your claim.

MSPeconomist Jun 23, 2022 8:45 am

Duty of care isn't just a hotel room. It includes food, taxi fares if applicable between airport and hotel, and sometimes a phone call.

Kacee Jun 23, 2022 9:00 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 34362017)
Duty of care isn't just a hotel room. It includes food, taxi fares if applicable between airport and hotel, and sometimes a phone call.

OP asked about hotel.

mahasamatman Jun 23, 2022 9:59 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 34362089)
OP asked about hotel.

And food. As I read it, dinner was included in the quoted price.

WineCountryUA Jun 23, 2022 11:31 am

As the based question concerns compensation which will come from LH, will move this to the LH forum

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Originally Posted by chuck1 (Post 34361650)
.. Also, I bought a 016 which would have gotten me x11 for mileage. Now I got 220 for our return flight back to IAD.. What can I do?

Wait until you see the posted credit, it may be more or less then what it would have been on 016 ticket,

If less, look into UA's forum Original Routing Credit (ORC) After Involuntary Re-Routing/Re-Booking (Merged)

MAJIC9 Jun 23, 2022 7:38 pm

I had something similar happen to us two months ago.. good or bad our delay was inbound IAD so we just rented a car (last minute, so $$$) to our final destination here in the US. Anyways, LH just paid out 600 EUR and refused to cover the rental.. Worse yet, they refused to provide a verification letter explaining the reason for the delay (it was their fault) so now I can't get that covered by my travel insurance.. At least it was something but outcome could have been better. My in-laws were with me on that flight, so now I am expecting another 2x600 EUR for them on top..

SK AAR Jun 24, 2022 3:33 am

Originally Posted by chuck1 (Post 34361650)
H
I booked Hilton Garden Inn but it was GBP 512 due to transit strike. However there were three of us and we shared a room and had dinner.

:eek: in low season/winter this hotel could be booked for a little as 60-80 GBP.... That is an insane rate for this airport hotel.

Fabo.sk Jun 25, 2022 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by MAJIC9 (Post 34363832)
I had something similar happen to us two months ago.. good or bad our delay was inbound IAD so we just rented a car (last minute, so $$$) to our final destination here in the US. Anyways, LH just paid out 600 EUR and refused to cover the rental.. Worse yet, they refused to provide a verification letter explaining the reason for the delay (it was their fault) so now I can't get that covered by my travel insurance.. At least it was something but outcome could have been better. My in-laws were with me on that flight, so now I am expecting another 2x600 EUR for them on top..

Yeah, I can imagine they would not pay out if they have not authorized it. Presumably it was more than a hotel night and a connector next morning.

Would your insurance not accept the fact the airline paid out as implicit admission? Airlines don't like to explicitly admit fault in case it bites them in the future.

MAJIC9 Jun 25, 2022 2:03 pm

The insurance does not want to pay out without a statement from the carrier.. and LH does not want to provide one. kinda in a catch 22 right now..

chuck1 Jun 26, 2022 8:06 am

My friends are in a similar situation regarding insurance.
AA cancelled - bought full fare on UA.
Now insurance is saying they want letter from AA saying they gave no compensation for cancellation before they pay up.

chuck1 Jul 25, 2022 12:32 am

Any recent experences on response time?

chuck1 Sep 22, 2022 11:07 am

They still have not replied even though they have acknowledged my letter with a feedback ID.
That was June 27 and I've sent a request for an update multiple times.
At one point they sent a power-of-attorney note for the other two passengers (minors) in record.
It was promptly returned and still nothing.
Any suggestions?
Should I go to a third party? Any suggestions?
Thanks,