Delayed luggage on LH/Eurowings Discover flights

Old Jun 23, 22, 5:54 am
Original Poster

Delayed luggage on LH/Eurowings Discover flights

Hi everyone,

I flew yesterday from BER to FRA, and then FRA to SLC on Eurowings Discover. I had a 90 minute connection in FRA which I made, but unfortunately my bags did not.

There was a United employee who was helping passengers fill out delayed baggage forms (apparently there were many passengers whose bags did not make it.) He said that he would take the paper forms, send the information to Denver, and I would get an email in a few hours. I waited the rest of the day for an email that never came, and ultimately filled out a lost baggage request form online on my own.

I also asked him about a timetable and information about reimbursement for toiletries, clothes, etc. in the meantime. He said that he had no information about compensation, but that the bags would most likely come on the next FRA to SLC flight on Friday.

After clearing customs I went to the United baggage desk to ask more about compensation, and the employee told me that United does not deal with Eurowings baggage, and that I needed to talk to Frontier (I didnt realize Frontier and Eurowings have a partnership). Conveniently enough all of the Frontier offices were closed for the day already.

So I called the Eurowings discover help line, and they directed me to the Lufthansa baggage delay department, who told me that *ANY* costs that I incur while waiting for bags to arrive will be reimbursed. I was a bit skeptical, so I asked for clarification and said even if I buy a new coat, or shoes or a computer charging cord? And the employee said anything you buy will be reimbursed.

I was still skeptical of that interaction, so I tried to do some research on the Eurowings Discover website, but their information is quite ambiguous just saying that they will compensate up to their legal responsibility, but it doesnt really specify what that entails.

So I guess I have two questions. Does anyone know what the scope and limitations of the compensation for bag delays are? Ive never had a bag delayed before, so I am unsure what the standard for international flights is. I am traveling with my girlfriend and we had intended to do some serious hiking in the next few days, however all of her hiking gear (boots, pants, poles) is in the checked bag. Of course these items arent essential for her to survive the next few days days, but they are essential for us to continue with our holiday as planned. Are these types of things that I can purchase in the meantime and will be reimbursed? Or is it really only the absolute basics?

My other question is about delivery time. If our bags do come on Friday, they will arrive around 3:00pm in SLC. We are currently staying about 3 hours from SLC. Any ideas if our bags will be delivered Friday evening? Or if it wont be until Saturday or even until after the weekend? I know there is no way to know for sure, but just wondering if anyone has experience or an idea of what may happen, just for my own planning purposes.

Overall, a very frustrating experience with very limited help from the airline. I think being juggled between all of the different partners was the most frustrating, as every airline in the Star Alliance seems to have a different policy regarding delayed bags.

Thank you all for any advice or input you may have. Also if you have any suggestions for how to deal with things better next time, let me know! Thanks!
Old Jun 23, 22, 10:07 am

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Was this a single ticket? To what final destination were your bags tagged to? IATA rules say that the last carrier in the chain is responsible for dealing with your bags. That would appear to be Eurowings Discover. You need to speak with them. I don't know why UA should be involved with this, other than that s/he was in the area handing out paper forms. I can only guess that when the form was examined and seen that UA had no flight involved, it went into a black hole.
Old Jun 23, 22, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by seenitall View Post
Was this a single ticket? To what final destination were your bags tagged to? IATA rules say that the last carrier in the chain is responsible for dealing with your bags. That would appear to be Eurowings Discover. You need to speak with them. I don't know why UA should be involved with this, other than that s/he was in the area handing out paper forms. I can only guess that when the form was examined and seen that UA had no flight involved, it went into a black hole.
Yes this was a single ticket. United wasnt involved on either flight, just Lufthansa and Eurowings discover. The only reason United was involved was because I booked my ticket through United, and I think Salt Lake doesnt have offices or counters for Lufthansa or Eurowings. The man who had me fill out the paper form said he was there every time a Eurowings flight came in, because apparently they have a lot of bags that dont make connections to the flight.
Old Jun 23, 22, 10:45 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
As UA flights were not involved, will moved this to Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More where Eurowings is discussed

IATA rules are the carrier providing transportation to the final destination is responsible for bag issues. The ticketing carrier is not involved (unless providing the last segment)

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 23, 22 at 10:51 am
Old Jun 23, 22, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by avianflyer View Post
I was still skeptical of that interaction, so I tried to do some research on the Eurowings Discover website, but their information is quite ambiguous just saying that they will compensate up to their legal responsibility, but it doesnt really specify what that entails.

So I guess I have two questions. Does anyone know what the scope and limitations of the compensation for bag delays are?
Montreal Convention, 1131 SDR
Old Jun 24, 22, 4:11 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN**
You will be compensated in full for toilettries. If you buy hiking gear you will get 50% reimbursed if you decide to keep the gear. They have liability insurance for that.
https://discover.aero/en/general-ter...ht-ticket-gcc/

14.7 Delays in the carriage of passengers and baggage

14.7.1 We are liable for damages due to delays during the carriage of passengers, unless we took all reasonable measures to prevent the damages or if taking these measures was not possible. Liability for damages arising from delays in the carriage of passengers is limited to SDR 4,694 (approx. EUR 5,032). Please note that the maximum liability after 28.12.2019 will be SDR 5,346.
14.7.2 We are liable for damages due to delays during carriage of checked baggage, unless we took all reasonable measures to prevent the damages or if taking these measures was not possible. The liability for damages due to delays in the carriage of baggage is limited to SDR 1,131 (approx. EUR 1,213 EUR). Please note that the maximum liability after 28.12.2019 will be SDR 1,288.
14.7.3 If the injured party has contributed to causing the damage which has arisen, the amount of the compensation claim is reduced in proportion with the contributory negligence of said party. In particular, the injured party is under obligation not to increase the compensation amount caused by the loss or delayed carriage of his/her baggage through unreasonable replacement purchases.
Old Jul 9, 22, 6:16 am

Programs: Flyingblue Platinum, All Accor Platinum, M&M Senator
Hello oliver2002
thank you for those detailed.
I am fighting right now against Eurowings Discover for a damage bagage & the refund of clothes I needed while waiting for the luggage to be delivered.
- on baggage Eurowings Discover is offering me 50% of the value of an 3 months old Samsonite ( sic!!)
- on cloithes they are saying that they refund 30€ per day for a max of 3 days (90€)
I will use the flight ticket GCC you shared and report back to the forum.

What I found also nasty is that rules applied here are those of the last operating carrier even if first leg as operated by LH own metal and 2nd by Eurowings Discover (whole ticket under LH code).

Search this Thread