Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lufthansa refuses to refund a cancelled ticket!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2022, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Lufthansa refuses to refund a cancelled ticket!

In February I bought a LH ticket for travel from DC-Ankara in May. When I checked the ticket status a few weeks prior to departure, it had been cancelled. LH never informed me of the cancellation, and when I called their help desk, they refused to reinstate the ticket or to provide a refund. They claimed I had requested a cancellation, but in fact I asked their customer service team to refund a seat assignment fee for a flight that had been rebooked, and the team mistakenly cancelled the ticket. I had to purchase a second ticket to complete my travel plans. This is a very dishonest company, not fair to customers at all!
hugolover likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did you speak to LH over the phone or via email? If written then its easy to prove you asked only for ASR refund.

If over the phone I strongly suggest recording all calls with LH Group because they lie so much. It's very easy to prove matters if you need to. Do NOT rely on their own call recording which means you need to use GDPR to get access. It's easy to record on an Android device.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by grover19
In February I bought a LH ticket for travel from DC-Ankara in May. When I checked the ticket status a few weeks prior to departure, it had been cancelled. LH never informed me of the cancellation, and when I called their help desk, they refused to reinstate the ticket or to provide a refund. They claimed I had requested a cancellation, but in fact I asked their customer service team to refund a seat assignment fee for a flight that had been rebooked, and the team mistakenly cancelled the ticket. I had to purchase a second ticket to complete my travel plans. This is a very dishonest company, not fair to customers at all!
Hopefully you purchased the ticket using a credit card, in which case request a charge back via your CC
Old Jun 14, 2022, 1:05 pm

Programs: LH HON*****, AF/KL Gold; HHilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; IHG Platinium; Avis PresClub
Was your email address stored in the details of your reservation? Didn't you receive any email post your phone call concerning your seat reservation reimbursement demand?
weero likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hugolover
Did you speak to LH over the phone or via email? If written then its easy to prove you asked only for ASR refund.

If over the phone I strongly suggest recording all calls with LH Group because they lie so much. It's very easy to prove matters if you need to. Do NOT rely on their own call recording which means you need to use GDPR to get access. It's easy to record on an Android device.
I wish had done that, but unfortunately I didn't expect this would happen, so I didn't record it. Next time I'll know better, though.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chris63
Hopefully you purchased the ticket using a credit card, in which case request a charge back via your CC
Yes, I've done that, and I've filed a complaint with DOT.
hugolover, chris63 and JD3313 like this.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by athome
Was your email address stored in the details of your reservation? Didn't you receive any email post your phone call concerning your seat reservation reimbursement demand?
Yes, they had my email address, but I received no notification whatsoever concerning the cancellation or reimbursement. It was only when I went to check my flight status a few weeks prior to departure that I discovered that the ticket was cancelled.
hugolover likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Excellent

Far too many of these kind of reports, hopefully the CC companies can put some pressure on LH to operate correctly
hugolover likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Ok/good. Then wait for now. My guess is that you will get your money back sooner or later. Just be patient.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 7:14 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
.. It's easy to record on an Android device.
Your Android device behaves better than mine .
Old Jun 15, 2022, 8:53 am

Programs: LH FTL, AY+ Gold, BAEC Silver, AF FB
What a disappointing experience. My two cents of advice: whenever you call CS (any airline, not just LH) to have something in your booking modified, don't hang up when you think you are done. Tell them to ask to send you an email confirmation and kindly ask them to patiently wait with you on the line while you wait for this email to come through or while you log into your booking to see the changes reflected as desired. It usually just takes 2-3 additional minutes, but it can be worth a lot in case the agent messes up and you are able to address it right away instead of ringing again and trying to explain and clear up someone else's mess to a totally different agent.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When I change a booking by phone, I get an email titled "Changes to your booking" from [email protected] with a reply address of [email protected].

It doesn't have a PNR and if it has a ticket number, it's the old one because the booking is NOT ticketed. The only number that is there is the FQTV.

After some time its not unusual for these changes to be cancelled by the robot because the ticket is not reissued in-time and this email is basically useless.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 4:35 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
..After some time its not unusual for these changes to be cancelled by the robot because the ticket is not reissued in-time and this email is basically useless.
But an agent - a non-braindead agent - could trace back that event, right?

I had reservations reinstated that were wiped by the system.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.