Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Continue with Miles&More or switch to United?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2022, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Continue with Miles&More or switch to United?

Hi guys,

I have a M&M silver status with 70k award miles (from before the Covid days).

I'm about to take a long haul flight (5k in every direction) in business class - go with United and return with Air Canada.
United have an agreement with my workplace to get automatic silver status, and if I'll take this flight I would get to keep it for a year.

What do you guys think - would make more sense to create a fresh United MileagePlus account and "forfeit" my award miles? Given that it's usually faster to achieve gold status in United.
Or should I stick with M&M and keep crediting all my miles there, in order to make maximum use of award miles?

Last edited by Flyby972; Jun 10, 2022 at 1:42 pm
Old Jun 10, 2022, 4:28 pm

Hard to say as it really depends on your travel patterns… I.e. how many flights a year, which cabin class, which airlines and routes.

IMHO Miles and More is only a worth a consideration, if you can achieve SEN (*G) or HON.

Last edited by fassy; Jun 11, 2022 at 2:59 am
Old Jun 11, 2022, 12:52 pm

Programs: SEN**, Ex TK Elite+, Ex IB Sapphire, Hyatt Gold, Bonvoy, Meliá Platinum
You have to calculate how many miles (and if that changes something in your status) you will earn flying on United and credited to M&M or United.
As far as I know, there is better crediting rate if you credit to the same airline programme. If you fly in LH group for that amount, you would get double status miles and therefore achieve G faster.
On contrary for 10000 USD I don't know what you achieve on United programme... If you mix programmes and credit to both, it will take you ages to fullfil target.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by kai.lileboo
As far as I know, there is better crediting rate if you credit to the same airline programme.
Not necessarily! E.g. often cheap flights on LH groups airlines credit more points to SK EuroBonus than the cheapest SK metal flight.

Nowadays, you really have to do a bit of research based on which airlines and what booking classes you travel to make a solid choice.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
UA has a low bar for 2022 to achieve status; just also check out the 'normal' levels that we expect to see return for 2023 onwards. If you book $5k TATL business class tickets routinely then UA is a great program for you and you will get status very quickly.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 5:27 pm

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by fassy
Not necessarily! E.g. often cheap flights on LH groups airlines credit more points to SK EuroBonus than the cheapest SK metal flight.
Almost always, in fact. Intra-EU in lowest Y gives 100 points on SK and 125 points on LH. Long-haul is even more laughable. TATL in cheapest Y gives what, 200 points?
Old Jun 12, 2022, 3:09 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
In order to achieve or maintain any status with UA Mileage Plus, you need at least 4 segments operated by UA every year. If this doesn't line up with your travel pattern, then UA is not for you.
gojko88 likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 3:27 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by airoli
In order to achieve or maintain any status with UA Mileage Plus, you need at least 4 segments operated by UA every year. If this doesn't line up with your travel pattern, then UA is not for you.
They did however waive this for the last 3 cycles for everyone I know.

But normally, yes, you have to suffer 4 segments on UA in order to maintain any elite status in their program .... or pay something like a 300-1100 USD bribe in March in order to keep it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.