Taking tips from Ryanair: No more free seats at OLCI on Light Fares

Old Jun 1, 2022, 8:40 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Just great, another nail to my coffin. Having been beholden to OS for a while now for VFR travel, no 0+1 was bad enough, now this. At least LO is back in play, but some ST (or at least OW) competition is sorely needed... except, OK is dead, MA is dead, AB is dead. Closest ST is AZ which is as good as dead as well and then AFKL. OW... Spain, UK, Finland. that's excentric compared to Western Europe let alone CEE.

LCC is good only where there is big enough p2p demand, which is not the case on my route.

woe is me. At least for a while there was the saving grace of low fares, but that seems to be going as well.
hugolover and yurtripper like this.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I might be wrong, but once the summer bubble is over I think the better fares will come back even with the reduction in capacity. There's even a chance the Commission will extend the 66% use slot-waiver over winter, maybe reduce it a bit. Some markets are no way near back to 2019 levels, like PL.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 1:51 pm

Programs: M&M FTL (*Silver), KLM/AF blue
I hope they implement this the BA way not the AB way. With BA it is possible to ask at the gate if you can sit together- even when on different bookings. They will not charge for this.
On AB it was « computer says no » even though the seat beside my colleague was free. This BS made me avoid AB to the extent possible.
Grog, rt23456p and pdeut like this.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I must say, I am pretty much back to train travel for most of my movements around central Europe. Flight prices are back to 1990s level, but the service level, of course, remains at trashy 2020s level. AB has disappeared like a sore head. Nobody missed it per se, but things were much better when there was a bit of competition around.
Grog, the810, rt23456p and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 3:37 am

Originally Posted by hugolover
I might be wrong, but once the summer bubble is over I think the better fares will come back even with the reduction in capacity. There's even a chance the Commission will extend the 66% use slot-waiver over winter, maybe reduce it a bit. Some markets are no way near back to 2019 levels, like PL.
With the reduced competition on my route, and looks like business travel slowly picking up, I'm not optimistic. I will have to suck it up one way or another, my only other option is to drive 500km r/t to DUS. Or have someone drive 2x. 500km r/t to BUD to pick me up and drop me off (or lose hours in public transport)
Old Jun 2, 2022, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Isn't it UA and TP that only give contract access in C but not to Gold's? HON's only fly Business, like how rich people don't eat McDonalds so they'd be unaffected.

They must spend a lot of money on contract access in some markets that have low yield fares like CEE because they have that terrible word that makes Carsten's (eyes-roll) "Competition".

That could be a new enhancement.
rt23456p and pdeut like this.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Is this customer-driven enhancement in an early test phase with LX?

I got rebooked, from a flight cancellation of a premium economy sector - onto intra-Europe LX into a full fare bucket (which oddly shows a 2 bags allowance with every other segment having 3). Now when trying to OLCI, the system gives me a far back <expletive>-seat. When I try to change it, the system claims that my fare doesn't permit OLCI seat changes. That is on LX, the LH site doesn't allow me to do OLCI at all.
hugolover likes this.

Last edited by weero; Jun 5, 2022 at 1:57 am Reason: typo
Old Jun 2, 2022, 5:01 pm

Hooray for Lufthansa IT!

And to think at one point I was thinking about working for them.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
..And to think at one point I was thinking about working for them.
Maybe you could have prevented Armageddon?
Grog, whiskey_sk and rt23456p like this.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by weero
Maybe you could have prevented Armageddon?
I've worked in too many big organizations to think a single cog could make a difference. Maybe if the single cog is in the C-suite, but even then it's questionable.
weero, rt23456p and NewAtlantis like this.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 6:25 am

Programs: The Entire Universe!
Very well said & I couldn’t agree with you more!!!
Old Jun 16, 2022, 8:42 am

I have a flight with OS on 24th and 27th.

Light fare intra-Europe for 290 EUR (ouch!)

Will refer.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 1:28 pm

Programs: SEN**, Ex TK Elite+, Ex IB Sapphire, Hyatt Gold, Bonvoy, Meliá Platinum
Originally Posted by theKrafty1tar
Wow, that's pathetic. Race to the bottom

But just to be clear- SEN/HON do get free ASR even on eco light fares.
No they don't You can only select a seat when check-in in from the ones that remain available.
Let's se which seats we get automatically, if it is at the end of the aircraft...nothing worse.
hugolover and pdeut like this.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 4:21 pm

Programs: LH HON/AF Gold
Originally Posted by kai.lileboo
No they don't You can only select a seat when check-in in from the ones that remain available.
Let's se which seats we get automatically, if it is at the end of the aircraft...nothing worse.
Yes... that was clarified earlier in this thread. Unfortunately I was mistaken...
Old Jun 17, 2022, 2:57 am

Programs: SEN**, Ex TK Elite+, Ex IB Sapphire, Hyatt Gold, Bonvoy, Meliá Platinum
They are being ridiculous. I can accept getting automatic seat assignment for the cheapest eco-light fares K, but not for Q or higher light which cost 400€+ . And by all means HONs and SENs should be left out. If you are one, you have already flown a lot on expensive C and F fares in order to obtain/requalify the status.
Iberia, BA and many other airlines have had ASA for years but only for cheapest eco fares..
I am not paying 25€ for classic fare on top of the regular price to get a seat
​​​​​​
more4less and pdeut like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.