Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Entry to LH first lounge, anyone can guest or any other ways to enter?

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2022, 9:07 am

Programs: LH HON/AF Gold
Originally Posted by hugolover
So if HON is so unrivalled, you’d think they could at least offer a HON the possibility to guest anyone on a Star flight. Due to institutional discrimination, it unfairly targets womxn who are the least likely to be HON or indeed have any status. I think it’s frankly disgusting a HON cannot guest their spouse into a lounge when theirself is on a different flight.

It’s Monday morning and your partner is also on a work trip, sorry, no guest, FTL or SEN if they’re lucky.

In terms of “shenanigans” I doubt it’s HON, it’s F pax.

What it actually shows is the contempt they have for their HON.
While I agree that family should be allowed regardless of flight, I don't think your hypothetical situation is very common. And with the rule change they really were trying to combat the "shenanigans" that were mentioned above. Let's be real: there was a very long thread here on Flyertalk with people posting their flight schedules and offering to guest people into lounges who they don't even know. I really doubt the rule change was misogynistic (HON's can give their spouse/partner senator status afterall).

I think we can all appreciate lounges that are not super crowded with these "guests".
gru_muc likes this.
Old May 23, 2022, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So Star Alliance brought in the same flight restriction cos of a quiet forum on Flyertalk? yet there's no issue in SkyTeam or OneWorld . I saw DL actually back tracked on "enhancements". Star isn't exactly the most pax friendly alliance. And don't tell me about LH being forced to respect Star rules, they can't even obey actual real law, like EC261...?

Where 'unrivalled' means rare and unusual, what's unrivalled about the privileges of HON is that when you're HON your guesting privileges are more limited than a BA Silver or mere Flying Blue Gold...

You better check out some of the lounges in OW now, like AA, its really excellent and admissible as a mere OWE including guesting anyone on an operated or marketed by OW flight.
Old May 23, 2022, 11:07 am

Programs: LH HON/AF Gold
So Star Alliance brought in the same flight restriction cos of a quiet forum on Flyertalk? yet there's no issue in SkyTeam or OneWorld . I saw DL actually back tracked on "enhancements". Star isn't exactly the most pax friendly alliance. And don't tell me about LH being forced to respect Star rules, they can't even obey actual real law, like EC261...?

Where 'unrivalled' means rare and unusual, what's unrivalled about the privileges of HON is that when you're HON your guesting privileges are more limited than a BA Silver or mere Flying Blue Gold...

You better check out some of the lounges in OW now, like AA, its really excellent and admissible as a mere OWE including guesting anyone on an operated or marketed by OW flight.
I never said that the thread was a reason for the new restrictions. I just used it as an example to show how people were taking advantage of the guest privileges. Regardless, I doubt it was costing Lufthansa much money. Was it petty? Sure…

We all have our complaints about Lufthansa- But I could say that about every airline… are they trying to cut costs? Of course- just like every business and luckily us as consumers we can react to that with who we buy tickets from. Even with all the changes I appreciate the service from Lufthansa. Maybe my expectations are simply low? And PLEASE show me an airline that pays out EC261 easily! I’ve had more luck with Lufthansa than any other airline.

Unrivaled (in terms of EU airlines) means that no other airline will pick up their most loyal flyers from apron positions with a Porsche (and don’t say Delta because they have no consistency). That no other airline will offer true F class lounges to their most loyal flyers. Lufthansa also offers great phone service for HONs. I’m sorry, but that’s just the way I see it.

And with my travel patterns, I’ve never been in the position where I had to guest somebody who wasn’t traveling on the same flight as me into a lounge. But that’s what this is- everybody has individual needs.

I understand where you’re coming from. But I do think you’re being too critical. I mean UA doesn’t even let their own Global Services members into their Polaris lounges! I’m not super familiar with OW as none of their airlines fly into WRO and they’re their offering is lackluster in BOS.

Last edited by theKrafty1tar; May 24, 2022 at 1:18 am
Old May 23, 2022, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by theKrafty1tar
There are multiple threads about F lounges in Frankfurt. I would suggest you use the search feature.

You will both have access to the SEN lounges. At this time there is no way to buy access to the First Lounges (I believe this was only possible for a few days last year, otherwise they are exclusive to F/HON passengers).

HON's can only guest one person (non-family) to the F lounges, so I wouldn't count on it... not to mention they would have to be flying on the same flight.
plus the LH SEN is still such a nice lounge.
Old May 24, 2022, 1:16 am

Programs: M&M HON***
Originally Posted by theKrafty1tar
I never said that the thread was a reason for the new restrictions. I just used it as an example to show how people were taking advantage of the guest privileges. Regardless, I doubt it was costing Lufthansa much money. Was it petty? Sure…

We all have our complaints about Lufthansa- But I could say that about every airline… are they trying to cut costs? Of course- just like every business and luckily us as consumers we can react to that with who we buy tickets from. Even with all the changes I appreciate the service from Lufthansa. Maybe my expectations are simply low? And PLEASE show me an airline that pays out EC261 easily! I’ve had more luck with Lufthansa than any other airline.

Unrivaled (in terms of EU airlines) means that no other airline will pick up their most loyal flyers from apron positions with a Porsche (and don’t say Delta because they have no consistency). That no other airline will offer true F class lounges to their most loyal flyers. Lufthansa also offers great phone service for HONs. I’m sorry, but that’s just the way I see it.

And with my travel patterns, I’ve never been in the position where I had to guest somebody who wasn’t traveling on the same flight as me into a lounge. But that’s what this is- everybody has individual needs.

I understand where you’re coming from. But I do think you’re being too critical. I mean UA doesn’t even let their own Global Services members into their Polaris lounges! I’m not super familiar with OW as none of their airlines fly into WRO and they’re offering is lackluster in BOS.
I very much appreciate the policy to only allow guests who are companions. The emptier the F Lounges the better. Taking along friends or family who do not actually fly with me on the same flight is very rare for me. Crowded Lounges on the opposite is, unfortunately, a rather frequent event.
theKrafty1tar and DiamondMile like this.
Old May 24, 2022, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK

Now it would be lovely if we could find an alliance that combined all the best features found in the others. I'm blessed with SEN-level in all three rather than HON-level in any one. I find SkyTeam the hardest to love, by quite a margin. OneWorld and Star have their good and bad features, and each has had it's share of irritating enhancements: "open doors" is long gone, but sadly missed.

As for the spouse-in-FCL controversy, this is such a unique issue i can't comment. But travelling with colleagues I'm happy to accept the best available solution in terms of lounges. I'd like to think the company of a loved one would make up for the inconvenience of using the SEN lounge before we go our separate ways: maybe I'm a hopeless romantic
Old May 24, 2022, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To round this off from my side. I was fully aware that Star had regrettably binned any guest while SkyTeam and OneWorld have kept the benefit, in the case of BA they've added further benefits to guesting for top-tier.

For the fact that HON is supposed to be so "unrivalled" is why I was surprised that different flight guesting was binned even if was only for HON and not F pax, same way that HON can use FCL on any Star flight. It's laughable to consider it so unrivalled on that element of guesting that they did nothing to protect the right. They can spend all that money on catering, picking up, but they can't let you guest a business partner or spouse on a different flight. I need my clown emoji 🤡.

Womxn are the least likely to have status compared to men, just like they're less likely to earn the same money and have the same opportunities as men. Boomers naturally protect their interests and those are ones complaining lounges are not quiet enough or too busy. LHG's top pax are boomers. I think Boomers are a bigger part of their revenue than for some other EU carriers which fits German demographics overall. I reckon it's even the reason why DE has kept the mask.

Crowded lounges is an entirely different issue not solved by limiting guesting randoms. Are only LH lounges rammed? In DACH have very little choice because of the monopoly position they enjoy, fully supported by their protectionist governments. They are price makers on so many routes which means no matter how limited the guesting was, no matter how crap they made the lounges they'd still be full at peak times and FTL lounges full of holidaymakers in the summer.

And yes @theKrafty1tar WRO-BOS is a very specific and under-served route with next to no choices without many stops, plus it must feel premium to get the car cos you have to suffer with so many RJ's. But don't kid yourself, those apron pick-ups are offered precisely because FRA is awful and it was then rolled out across other airports with RJ's, and that's why the FCT exists to provide high-fare pax with an alternative cos LH know the airport is absolutely terrible. If the airport was better they wouldn't need to do it and it would be a faff, not a benefit. And who needs a pickup if you can walk off the plane via an airbridge with short walking distances. The only reason WAW has the apparatchik Limo and HON Car is because of the use of the buses.

Btw, its not just about compensation for EC261, it's the fact they don't respect the rules for rebooking and duty of care. Your experience is completely skewed with HON status and because you're highly informed. Just think about those poor Babcia's flying from WRO-ORD and what they have to endure when things go wrong? Read the rebooking thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.