Giving up your passport??

Old Apr 22, 22, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

Giving up your passport??

When I entered the FCT I gave up my passport. When I got it back it was someone else’s! When the border police gave it back I had a quick look and it seemed okay (without my glasses all older men would look the same) but it felt odd.

Now, I am mischievous by nature so I did wonder whether I should fly off to Brazil with the wrong passport, but the sensible angel that lives on my shoulder prevailed and I gave it back to the LH helper.

Giving up your passport is odd; never again for me!
Old Apr 22, 22, 11:33 pm

Programs: LH HON, AF/KL Gold; HHilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; GHA Black; IHG Gold; Avis PresClub
Then: No FCT flying to a Non-schengen Country.
It's the OPs decision.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Apr 23, 22, 12:19 am

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
A slip up by the Border guard in the FCT, it’s certainly never happened to me there in decades, of course your passport is checked again by the attendant at the Limo desk, so no chance of anyone leaving the FCT with the wrong passport
andywaw likes this.
Old Apr 23, 22, 2:59 am

Programs: LH HON, AF/KL Gold; HHilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; GHA Black; IHG Gold; Avis PresClub
In my opinion a mix up of passports cannot happen, as the border police
  • asks the passenger for his name to compare it with the name in the passport and
  • asks the passenger to remove his mask to compare the face with the face in the passport.
Did the OP travel with his twin brother?
YYCCL3 likes this.
Old Apr 23, 22, 7:31 am

Programs: AA CK; LH HON
Originally Posted by athome View Post
  • asks the passenger for his name to compare it with the name in the passport and
  • asks the passenger to remove his mask to compare the face with the face in the passport.
I was not asked to lower my mas when arriving in FRA or departing (FCT) three weeks ago ...
Old Apr 23, 22, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, LH, QR, SV, TK
The OP tells us it did happen. It's awkward of you to suggest it didn't.
hugolover, cad-spe and blue2002 like this.
Old Apr 23, 22, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

oops!

Last edited by IAN-UK; Apr 23, 22 at 3:02 pm Reason: duplicate
Old Apr 23, 22, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by IAN-UK View Post
The OP tells us it did happen. It's awkward of you to suggest it didn't.
If it happened, the process at border police broke down. I don't want to state that it can't happen, but at leat 3 control loops failed.
Even if it did, one should have its own process and check that one received its own passport ( fourth control loop).
At least I have the fourth one .
Old Apr 23, 22, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If it happened, the process at border police broke down. I don't want to state that it can't happen, but at leat 3 control loops failed.
Even if it did, one should have its own process and check that one received its own passport ( fourth control loop).
You're describing the classic Swiss cheese model of safety failure: multiple, smaller lapses leading to a major failure. It happens.
Old Apr 24, 22, 2:09 am

Programs: LH HON
the third loop never works for me (never been asked for passport at the ‚gate‘, only boarding pass.

however, my passport is in a sleeve so I would notice very quick if it ain’t mine

Search this Thread