Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LO/LH disruptions due to Polish ATC restrictions starting May 1, 2022

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2022, 8:05 am

Programs: LH SEN *
The title of the thread is misleading, flight cancelations will affect all carriers flying to/out of Poland, not just LOT.
According to the press, "some flight irregularities" means that around 300 flights might be canceled daily (out of around 700 flying over Poland). In the worst case scenario, Eurocontrol expects that 1300 flights will be canceled only during the long weekend in Poland (April 30-May 3) and both Warsaw airports, due to air control staff shortage, will be able to work only from 9:30 AM to 5 PM.
iLied likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 9:05 am

Programs: Miles & More, BA Executive Club
Originally Posted by andywaw
The title of the thread is misleading, flight cancelations will affect all carriers flying to/out of Poland, not just LOT.
According to the press, "some flight irregularities" means that around 300 flights might be canceled daily (out of around 700 flying over Poland). In the worst case scenario, Eurocontrol expects that 1300 flights will be canceled only during the long weekend in Poland (April 30-May 3) and both Warsaw airports, due to air control staff shortage, will be able to work only from 9:30 AM to 5 PM.
From what I understood, Warsaw airports are guaranteed to operate normally between 9:30AM and 5PM but there would be limited flight operations outside of these hours.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 9:21 am

From what I read the Polish CAA will heavily reduce the number of flights into/out of Polish airports if no agreement is reached.

Also currently 206 people operate the Warsaw area, 180 of which have resigned and their notice period ends 30APR.
hugolover and andywaw like this.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 5:05 pm

Statement from the Polish CAA about meeting with Eurocontrol and PANSA on Friday 22nd April 2022:

With reference to the talks between the Polish Air Navigation Services Agency (PANSA) and the air traffic controllers, a meeting of the President of the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) with the PANSA representatives and the European Organization for the Safety of Air Navigation (EUROCONTROL) was organized on April 22, 2022. The meeting concerned a potential launch of the massive cancellation procedure, i.e. flights cancellation. At present the procedure has not been initiated.

Together with EUROCONTROL it was established that despite a decreased number of flight controllers, the flight operations from Polish regional airports and over Poland should be performed without violent disturbances. More irregularities are to be expected at the airports in Warsaw and Modlin.

Regardless of how much the air traffic is going to be limited, all flight operations will be performed with the preservation of the safety standards.

The President of the CAA, on the basis of tools and competences defined in Art. 21 of the Act of July 3, 2002 – Aviation Law, performs oversight over PANSA whose task is, especially, to ensure safety and continuity of air traffic.

Nevertheless, the President of the CAA’s competences do not cover the ownership supervision of PANSA. The President of the CAA has neither authority nor tools to engage in social disputes arising from the labor law in institutions he oversees.

Although the CAA is not a party to the dispute, it takes any possible steps to preserve the continuity of flight operations and is in constant contact with appropriate international aviation institutions, inclusive of EUROCONTROL and the European Union Aviation Safety Agency (EASA).
Old Apr 25, 2022, 4:33 pm

I’ve just spoken to LOT and a decision is expected Thursday or Friday. LOT will be awaiting on the Polish CAA and Eurocontrol to activate the mass cancellation plan. Yes, it is true all carriers using Polish airspace will be affected, the airline affected the most will be LOT.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by iLied
From what I understood, Warsaw airports are guaranteed to operate normally between 9:30AM and 5PM but there would be limited flight operations outside of these hours.
If no agreement has been reached, from May 1st WAW airport will work from 9:30AM to 5:00PM, and there will be a limited list of 32 "priority airports" from which/where flights will be flown.
iLied likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 11:48 pm

The above-mentioned list of priority airports includes: London Heathrow, London Luton, London Stansted, Frankfurt, New York, Chicago, Paris, Brussels, Istanbul, Rome, Amsterdam, Toronto, Dubai, Incheon, Munich, Vienna, Tel Aviv, Oslo, Zurich, Dublin, Copenhagen, Budapest, Vilnius, Prague, Bucharest, Düsseldorf, Barcelona, Lisbon, Tbilisi, Berlin, Rzeszów, Szczecin-Goleniów
iLied likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 1:43 am

Programs: Miles and More (Senator)
The above-mentioned list of priority airports includes: London Heathrow, London Luton, London Stansted, Frankfurt, New York, Chicago, Paris, Brussels, Istanbul, Rome, Amsterdam, Toronto, Dubai, Incheon, Munich, Vienna, Tel Aviv, Oslo, Zurich, Dublin, Copenhagen, Budapest, Vilnius, Prague, Bucharest, Düsseldorf, Barcelona, Lisbon, Tbilisi, Berlin, Rzeszów, Szczecin-Goleniów
Also important to note that only one flight per day will be permitted to/from these airports.
hugolover and iLied like this.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 2:50 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Talks with air traffic controllers continue in Warsaw – The First News
Old Apr 26, 2022, 2:58 am

I would be interested in seeing which airline operates the one flight to/from these airports. For Heathrow for example there’s BA & LO.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 4:12 am

Programs: M&M
Folks, is this situation still unconfirmed?
I'm just wondering how likely it is that the first leg of my journey WAW-FRA-LOS on 08.05 (LH1353) will be cancelled is?
It's scheduled for 06:25 departure from WAW in order to make the LOS connection.
What would LH do in this case? Fly us the day before and put us in a hotel? Or leave it to us to resolve?
Old Apr 26, 2022, 5:01 am

Originally Posted by iLied
I would be interested in seeing which airline operates the one flight to/from these airports. For Heathrow for example there’s BA & LO.
As per the published regulation priority will be given to the airline that has flown most pax on a given route in years 2019-2021 - I'd assume that for LHR it would be LO. Not so sure about AMS, CDG, FRA, MUC and ZRH though - might well be the case that KL, AF, LH and LX had more pax on these routes.
iLied likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 5:06 am

Originally Posted by bertles86
Folks, is this situation still unconfirmed?
I'm just wondering how likely it is that the first leg of my journey WAW-FRA-LOS on 08.05 (LH1353) will be cancelled is?
It's scheduled for 06:25 departure from WAW in order to make the LOS connection.
What would LH do in this case? Fly us the day before and put us in a hotel? Or leave it to us to resolve?
I think at this stage no one really knows. If the regulation goes into force that would mean that the WAW-FRA frequency is reduced from 6/7 daily flights to just a single daily flight. So as you may imagine if that actually happens there are going to be a LOT of people in need of a rebooking/alternative solutions (which may include flights out of different airports - e.g. POZ, KRK, GDN, as these airports seem to be unaffected).
bertles86 likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by JD3313
As per the published regulation priority will be given to the airline that has flown most pax on a given route in years 2019-2021 - I'd assume that for LHR it would be LO. Not so sure about AMS, CDG, FRA, MUC and ZRH though - might well be the case that KL, AF, LH and LX had more pax on these routes.
And we now have the list:

1) London - Heathrow (EGLL) - PLL LOT;

2) London - Luton (EGGW) - Wizz Air,

3) London - Stansted (EGSS) - Ryanair,

4) Frankfurt (EDDF) - Lufthansa,

5) New York-JFK (KJFK) - PLL LOT,

6) Chicago (KORD) - PLL LOT,

7) Paris (LFPG) - Air France,

8) Brussels (EBBR) - PLL LOT,

9) Istanbul (LTFM) - Turkish Airlines.

10) Rome (LIRF) - Wizz Air,

11) Amsterdam (EHAM) - KLM,

12) Toronto (CYYZ) - PLL LOT,

13) Dubai (OMDB) - Emirates,

14) Seoul-Incheon (RKSI) - PLL LOT,

15) Munich (EDDM) - Lufthansa,

16) Rzeszów (EPRZ) - PLL LOT,

17) Vienna (LOWW) - Austrian Airlines,

18) Tel Aviv (LLBG) - PLL LOT,

19) Oslo (ENGM) - PLL LOT,

20) Zurich (LSZH) - Swiss,

21) Dublin (EIDW) - Ryanair,

22) Copenhagen (EKCH) - PLL LOT,

23) Budapest (LHBP) - PLL LOT,

24) Vilnius (EYVI) - PLL LOT,

25) Prague (LKPR) - PLL LOT,

26) Bucharest (LROP) - PLL LOT,

27) Duesseldorf (EDDL) - PLL LOT,

28) Barcelona (LEBL) - PLL LOT,

29) Lisbon (LPPT) - TAP Air Portugal,

30) Tbilisi (UGTB) - PLL LOT,

31) Berlin (EDDB) - PLL LOT,

32) Szczecin-Goleniów (EPSC) - PLL LOT.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 5:21 am

If no agreement has been reached, from May 1st WAW airport will work from 9:30AM to 5:00PM, and there will be a limited list of 32 "priority airports" from which/where flights will be flown.
Just so I’m clear, are these flights only taking place between 09:30AM and 5PM? I thought it might be normal operations in those hours with the list being applied out of those key hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.