Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LH773 8April BKK to MUC diverted to Ankara (medical reason)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2022, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, AmEx Platinum, AVIS Presidents Club, Marriott Titanium Elite
LH773 8April BKK to MUC diverted to Ankara (medical reason)

LH773 Bangkok to Munich has made a medical divert in Ankara. I hope the person in need of medical help gets the treatment they need.

As I have two missed connections I am trying to call Lufthansa on +49 69 86799799 but when I press 1 for English and then either 3 for rebooking or 4 for schedule changes the line just cuts out. Is this the right number for this?

I am currently booked to fly MUC FRA NCL all this morning but as I will miss the final sector even if we left right now I want to rebook to Heathrow instead as I am only in Newcastle for a day anyway so no point in changing to the next day.

I know this is a minor problem in relation to the medical divert but it’s still a problem I’d like to fix before arriving into Munich, ideally, so I can replan my journey from the airport at the U.K. side.

Thanks for any help or advice to get this rerouted.
Old Apr 9, 2022, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
When calling the DE number don’t select English, they all speak English in the DE call centres

Good luck & to the pax with the Medical issue
pdeut, hugolover and HarryKUK like this.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, AmEx Platinum, AVIS Presidents Club, Marriott Titanium Elite
Following on from this, after missing the connecting flight, I arrived 8 hours behind the original ticketed time and my checked bags have only just arrived 72 hours later.

Any idea if LH will pay for reasonable expenses incurred during this 72 hours (approx 150 EUR) and also whether this is likely to be ‘extraordinary circumstances’ as far as EU261is concerned?
Old Apr 12, 2022, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HarryKUK
Following on from this, after missing the connecting flight, I arrived 8 hours behind the original ticketed time and my checked bags have only just arrived 72 hours later.

Any idea if LH will pay for reasonable expenses incurred during this 72 hours (approx 150 EUR) and also whether this is likely to be ‘extraordinary circumstances’ as far as EU261is concerned?
Of course it’s extraordinary, LH are in no way responsible for a pax with a Medical emergency….. LH owe you reasonable duty of care expenses, submit those in the online form but be prepared to wait weeks for any response, they are swamped as usual …..
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Reasonable expenses for clothes and toiletries should be reimbursed. I don't think you will face any issues when you apply for reimbursement.

No comp. under EUR Reg. 261/04. As stated above there is hardly anything more extraordinary than deviation due to sick pax.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Thanks - wasn’t expecting EU261 but was expecting reasonable expenses to be paid.

My question was more to do with getting out of the baggage claim because the diversion was extraordinary. The two are unrelated in my opinion but wasn’t sure if they would be able to claim that since the diversion and the missed connections were outside of compensation, so too was the delayed baggage.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks - wasn’t expecting EU261 but was expecting reasonable expenses to be paid.

My question was more to do with getting out of the baggage claim because the diversion was extraordinary. The two are unrelated in my opinion but wasn’t sure if they would be able to claim that since the diversion and the missed connections were outside of compensation, so too was the delayed baggage.
Duty of care LH cannot get out of, do let us know how your claim for expenses goes & how long it takes ?
HarryKUK and DiamondMile like this.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 6:54 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
1. Right to care can never, ever be declined due to extraordinary circumstances. Never. Even if a volcano erupts.

2. Baggage is not subject to EC261/2004. This is a question of Montreal convention (I believe). Also no extraordinary circumstances in play, a missing bag is a missing bag.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
1. Right to care can never, ever be declined due to extraordinary circumstances. Never. Even if a volcano erupts.
Completely agree with you, however unless my memory is failing me I’m sure LX & LH have reportedly initially refused to pay out, as posted by others.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 3:15 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by chris63
Completely agree with you, however unless my memory is failing me I’m sure LX & LH have reportedly initially refused to pay out, as posted by others.
Many airlines initially refused to pay out during the volcano incident, which gave rise to a large amount of case law regarding right to care.
chris63 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.