Strategy to Extend Lufthansa Miles?

Old Mar 20, 2022, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Strategy to Extend Lufthansa Miles?

I have 22k Lufthansa miles (Miles & More) slated to expire at the end of this month. I also have another 43k Lufthansa miles that will expire at the end of June.

Extending the 22k miles would cost me over $250, and probably more to extend the rest.

Can I just book an award flight with these miles for next year, and then cancel it and pay a fee to have these miles redeposited?
Would this reset the clock on the miles (another 36 months after cancelling)?
If I can do this, how much is the fee to redeposit the miles?

Thanks
Old Mar 20, 2022, 2:48 pm

It will not reset the clock. It ***may*** give you a window from when you cancel the award until the end of the quarter in which you cancel the award to book something you want or do the same delay trick again. NOTE that we have had stories here of people whose miles expired shortly after they cancelled the award (so they didn’t have enough time to book the new one).
Old Mar 20, 2022, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NYC1
It will not reset the clock. It ***may*** give you a window from when you cancel the award until the end of the quarter in which you cancel the award to book something you want or do the same delay trick again. NOTE that we have had stories here of people whose miles expired shortly after they cancelled the award (so they didnt have enough time to book the new one).
What if I get approved for a Barclay's Miles & More credit card before the expiration date of my miles? Would that prevent them from expiring, or would new miles have to actually post into my account for that to happen?
Old Mar 20, 2022, 11:50 pm

Programs: LH SEN *
Originally Posted by joer1212
What if I get approved for a Barclay's Miles & More credit card before the expiration date of my miles? Would that prevent them from expiring, or would new miles have to actually post into my account for that to happen?
Using the Miles & More credit card prevents all award miles from expiring. However, the card approval alone doesn't help, the card must be used for 3 months prior to miles expiration date and used every month thereafter
Old Mar 21, 2022, 12:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by andywaw
Using the Miles & More credit card prevents all award miles from expiring. However, the card approval alone doesn't help, the card must be used for 3 months prior to miles expiration date and used every month thereafter
Thanks. Guess I'm just going to have to book something for next year, and hopefully, Covid won't act up, and I can go on the trip.

Question: If I book an LH Business class award from, say, Frankfurt to JFK, can I change it to First Class later on, once I acquire more miles?
Is there a penalty fee for doing that?

Also, if F isn't available on that same flight, can I change to F on another award flight?
Old Mar 21, 2022, 12:08 am

Programs: LH SEN *
Question: If I book an LH Business class award from, say, Frankfurt to JFK, can I change it to First Class later on, once I acquire more miles?
Is there a penalty fee for doing that?

Also, if F isn't available on that same flight, can I change to F on another award flight?
Both would require canceling the existing award reservation for a penalty fee of 50, and making a new award reservation.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 1:13 am

Programs: LH HON*****, AF/KL Gold; HHilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; IHG Platinium; Avis PresClub
Both would require canceling the existing award reservation for a penalty fee of 50, and making a new award reservation.
And adding the risk that the miles will disappear before the F booking is done.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 12:11 pm

Programs: Mucci; BAEC GGL; (In memoriam: KLM Flying Dutchman Royal Wing & FB Platinum Elite)
I was in the same position not enough mikes to make even a short haul trip viable -Rather than lose them at the end of March I converted the mikes for two of us into M & S gift cards. Depending where you reside then there will be other options to convert.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

I'm in the U.S., but that sounds very reasonable, if it allows you to change your booking.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by athome
And adding the risk that the miles will disappear before the F booking is done.
Why would the miles disappear, if they charged you to make a change in your award booking?
Old Mar 21, 2022, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beamac
I was in the same position not enough mikes to make even a short haul trip viable -Rather than lose them at the end of March I converted the mikes for two of us into M & S gift cards. Depending where you reside then there will be other options to convert.
It was probably terrible value, but definitely better than losing them altogether.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 3:57 pm

Programs: LH HON*****, AF/KL Gold; HHilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; IHG Platinium; Avis PresClub
Why would the miles disappear, if they charged you to make a change in your award booking?
If you want to change from C to F or if you want to change the destination, it is not a change of the ticket. It is a cancellation and a new booking. Only if you change the date of the flight, but keep class of service and destination, it is counted as a change.
Changing a flight costs actually 25 Euro. A cancellation 50 Euro.
The risk is, when you cancel your booking and try to make a new booking, the miles may disappear instantaneously after the cancellation.

Last edited by athome; Mar 21, 2022 at 4:47 pm
Old Mar 21, 2022, 6:48 pm

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by athome
The risk is, when you cancel your booking and try to make a new booking, the miles may disappear instantaneously after the cancellation.
I don't recall anyone reporting losing miles if they cancelled and rebooked with the same agent during a single phone call.
It was usually folks who cancelled with the intent to rebook but the miles vanished after a day or two.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by supine
I don't recall anyone reporting losing miles if they cancelled and rebooked with the same agent during a single phone call.
It was usually folks who cancelled with the intent to rebook but the miles vanished after a day or two.
Yes, thats the way to do it, instantly with the same agent, one OP reported the miles disappeared within minutes.
athome likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by supine
I'll make the change over the phone. Hopefully, I'll get a competent rep.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.