Wiki Posts
Search

Throughcheck LH to 4Z (Airlink)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2022, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC gold, Virgin gold, M&M Senatorgold
Throughcheck LH to 4Z (Airlink)

Is one able to throughcheck luggage between Lufthansa and Airlink? Have itinerary FRA-JNB-MUB and am trying to avoid collecting bags in JNB.
Thanks
Old Feb 14, 2022, 3:03 pm

Location: between DM464 and DM463 on the NAPSA26 RNAV TRANS in EDDM
Programs: this and that
According to EF - yes:

MAY CHECK BAGGAGE TO
AA AC AD AF AI AR AS AT AV AY AZ A3 BA BI
BL BP BR BT B2 B6 CA CI CM CX CZ DE DL DT
EK EN ET EW EY E5 FB FI FM FV GA GF GU G3
HA HO HR HU HX IB IC IG IR IY JE JJ JL JQ
JU J2 KA KC KL KM KQ KU LA LG LH LO LP LR
LX LY ME MI MK MS MU NH NZ OA OB OK OM OO
OS OU OZ PG PR PS PW PZ QF QI QR RO R7 SA
SB SC SD SK SN SP SQ SU SV S3 S4 S7 TA TG
TK TN TP TR TU T0 UA UK UL UT UU UX U0 VA
VK VN WF WK WY W2 XL XQ YM ZH ZX 2A 2K 3K
4M 4U 4Z
...assuming that you are not traveling on separate tickets.
phred007 likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 5:54 am

Programs: BA Silver, Etihad Bronze
Originally Posted by phred007
Is one able to throughcheck luggage between Lufthansa and Airlink? Have itinerary FRA-JNB-MUB and am trying to avoid collecting bags in JNB.
Thanks
Hi, I'm doing the same in May on two separate tickets (due to various changes over the last two years of Covid). I called LH up and asked and they said it was their normal routine to through-check with Airlink on the JNB route. He gave me the usual "but it's not guaranteed" statement but simply said to provide the two separate reservations to the check-in agent and there should not be a problem
Old Aug 12, 2022, 11:18 am

Looking to book this return flight on the Lufthansa website. The origin and return flights will be on one PNR#.

When checking in for the flight from Vfa-Jnb an Airlink flight do I check in with Airlink or LH? If Airlink do I use the same PNR# issued by LH or do I need the Airlink PNR#?
Will Airlink also issue my boarding passes for the LH flights Jnb-Fra and Fra-Lax and transfer my luggage to the Jnb-Fra flight from Vfa? If Airlink only transfers my luggage does LH have a airside transfer counter at Jnb to pickup my boarding passes for the Jnb-Fra-Lax flights?

I know that LH and Airlink are Star Alliance members, have an interline agreement and both use Amadeus Altéa Passenger Services System.

Last edited by Curtdog9; Aug 12, 2022 at 2:17 pm
Old Aug 12, 2022, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by Curtdog9
Looking to book this return flight on the Lufthansa website. The origin and return flights will be on one PNR#.

When checking in for the flight from Vfa-Jnb an Airlink flight do I check in with Airlink or LH? If Airlink do I use the same PNR# issued by LH or do I need the Airlink PNR#?
Will Airlink also issue my boarding passes for the LH flights Jnb-Fra and Fra-Lax and transfer my luggage to the Jnb-Fra flight from Vfa? If Airlink only transfers my luggage does LH have a transfer counter at Jnb to pickup my boarding passes for the Jnb-Fra-Lax flights?

I know that LH and Airlink are Star Alliance members, have an interline agreement and both use Amadeus Altéa Passenger Services System.
You'll do check in with AirLink. The PNR from LH will be the same.

Airlink should check your bags through with no problem though I can't state from experience, but I did have an issue a couple months ago doing CPT-JNB-FRA-ORD all on one ticket. I wasn't able to do OLCI for the Lufthansa sectors and they couldn't issue me boarding passes at CPT for some reason, and I didn't press it as had hand baggage only, I had a comfortable layover in JNB and I knew that you had to go landside anyway to go through exit passport control. Well, we ended up having a tarmac delay to resolve a mechanical issue at CPT that shrank our connection time to a tight one. I had to run through the entire airport at JNB (you'll likely land at one of the furthest domestic gates on an Airlink flight), and the LH check in counter had closed a few minutes early when I got there. Thankfully the Swiss flight check in was open still and they were able to get one of the agents to re-login to the LH flight to issue my boarding passes. It was a bit harrowing and I'd definitely press further to get all the boarding passes at the initial point of departure. I had a few changes to my ticket and it was actually issued by United, and one of the LH operated sectors had been upgraded by LH, so who knows what caused the problem. Hope your journey is seamless - Airlink is a nice little airline.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by YYCCL3
That is good to know

Airlink should check your bags through with no problem
That is what I thought and read that Lufthansa and Airlink have an interline agreement. Was hoping it was for boarding passes too.

I wasn't able to do OLCI for the Lufthansa sectors
I was hoping that you can check in to all flights and not just Airlinks flight. I am surprised that you could not do the Lufthansa sectors separate to at least reserve seats.

I knew that you had to go landside anyway to go through exit passport control
I am hoping someone has that answer here. Does Lufthansa have transit counters for check in airside transit area? Then there would be no need to go landside to get boarding passes.
That is good to know

Airlink should check your bags through with no problem
That is what I thought and read that Lufthansa and Airlink have an interline agreement. Was hoping it was for boarding passes too.

I wasn't able to do OLCI for the Lufthansa sectors
I was hoping that you can check in to all flights and not just Airlinks flight. I am surprised that you could not do the Lufthansa sectors separate to at least reserve seats.

I am hoping someone has that answer here. Does Lufthansa have transit counters for check in airside transit area? Then there would be no need to go landside to get boarding passes.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 1:46 pm

I meant to clarify that. There are no airside transfer facilties at JNB for domestic - international. All passengers are forced landside.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 3:19 pm

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
I did international LX to 4Z and vice versa transfers at JNB a few weeks ago. So LX but assume it will be same for LH. All booked as 1 ticket/1 PNR.

Check in for LX issued BP for 4Z and bag was checked through to final destination.

Returning, 4Z could not issue the LX BP but baggage was checked through. LX BP received at the JNB transfer desk. No need to go landslide.

Seats on 4Z could be reserved when booking on the LX site. 4Z is not *A member, they cut the ties with SA when that *A member went through various stages of insolvency.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 3:50 pm

I am sure if LX has a transfer desk so does LH. Or they share one at least. There will be a 3.5 layover as the Jnb-Fra flight leaves at 19:00. Hopefully passport control/security will not be to busy at 15.30. Will have time to get something to eat and relax.
Lufthansa does not give me the option to reserve a seat on the Airlink flight. Will have to reserve that through Airlink when I get the PNR# after booking with LH.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 3:08 am

Originally Posted by MichielR
I did international LX to 4Z and vice versa transfers at JNB a few weeks ago. So LX but assume it will be same for LH. All booked as 1 ticket/1 PNR.

Check in for LX issued BP for 4Z and bag was checked through to final destination.

Returning, 4Z could not issue the LX BP but baggage was checked through. LX BP received at the JNB transfer desk. No need to go landslide.

Seats on 4Z could be reserved when booking on the LX site. 4Z is not *A member, they cut the ties with SA when that *A member went through various stages of insolvency.

I am sure if LX has a transfer desk so does LH. Or they share one at least. There will be a 3.5 layover as the Jnb-Fra flight leaves at 19:00. Hopefully passport control/security will not be to busy at 15.30. Will have time to get something to eat and relax.
Lufthansa does not give me the option to reserve a seat on the Airlink flight. Will have to reserve that through Airlink when I get the PNR# after booking with LH.
I didn't read your original post clearly enough Curtdog9 - you will be arriving in JNB as International-International transfer from VFA in which case you won't have the same forced landside issue that I had. There should be airside transit assistance available as MichielR mentions.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by YYCCL3
I didn't read your original post clearly enough Curtdog9 - you will be arriving in JNB as International-International transfer from VFA in which case you won't have the same forced landside issue that I had. There should be airside transit assistance available as MichielR mentions.
I realized after I sent the reply that you were coming from a domestic to an international flight and that is the reason you had to go landside.

When you got your boarding passes in JNB did they ask you for your vaccine cert? Same in Frankfurt did they ask you before you boarded the plane to the US to see your vaccine cert and the Attestation form? Just curious if the airlines are still requiring US citizens to show proof of vaccinated status and fill out the Attestation form.

I know that as US citizens we do not need to show proof that we have been vaccinated (which I am) or have to fill out the Attestation form anymore.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 12:24 pm

I realized after I sent the reply that you were coming from a domestic to an international flight and that is the reason you had to go landside.

When you got your boarding passes in JNB did they ask you for your vaccine cert? Same in Frankfurt did they ask you before you boarded the plane to the US to see your vaccine cert and the Attestation form? Just curious if the airlines are still requiring US citizens to show proof of vaccinated status and fill out the Attestation form.

I know that as US citizens we do not need to show proof that we have been vaccinated (which I am) or have to fill out the Attestation form anymore.
Wasn't asked to produce anything. Not only on this flight but on several flights (maybe 50%) to the US in recent months from the EU, and I'm not a US Citizen.
Old Jun 7, 2023, 11:11 am

Programs: LH-SEN, DL-Platinum
Does one earn Miles and More miles on Airline?

Last edited by econprof; Jun 7, 2023 at 11:11 am Reason: typo
Old Jun 7, 2023, 11:12 am

Programs: LH-SEN, DL-Platinum
Does one get Miles and More miles on Airlink?
Old Jun 7, 2023, 12:34 pm

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by econprof
Does one get Miles and More miles on Airlink?
No. They just started their own FF programme & codeshares with BA (filling the Comair gap) but in terms of LHG it is only interline.
chris63 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.