Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

Be aware: LH not following their own T&C rules for cancelled award tickets

Be aware: LH not following their own T&C rules for cancelled award tickets

Old Jan 5, 22, 5:50 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK *G
I've been holding on to two mileage bookings for over a year now for that exact reason. Miles woulc have expired if I cancel, so I've just parked the bookings until we can fly again.
mirror74 likes this.
Old Jan 5, 22, 5:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Well, the exact same thing happened to me yesterday. 182,000 miles gone. I couldn’t rebook because there is zero F award availability between FRA and the US for the next year, so canceling was the only option. Miles disappeared a few minutes later. Speechless.
mirror74 likes this.
Old Jan 5, 22, 6:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY Plat, A3 Gold, UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by callmedtop View Post
Well, the exact same thing happened to me yesterday. 182,000 miles gone. I couldn’t rebook because there is zero F award availability between FRA and the US for the next year, so canceling was the only option. Miles disappeared a few minutes later. Speechless.
Write and complain. They are not following own T&C rules. Miles should always expire at the end of calendar quarter, not immediately. Even when there is no pandemic this should be the case, but now... its shameful why there is no leniency towards customers that have no choice but to cancel award tickets.
Old Jan 5, 22, 6:08 am

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by callmedtop View Post
That is shocking, suggest you write in, in no way is that your fault.
more4less, hugolover and mirror74 like this.
Old Jan 5, 22, 6:15 am

So, basically, did you think you could extend your miles, which usually expire on December 31, to March 31, 2022, by buying a premium ticket until December 31, which you canceled today?
Old Jan 5, 22, 6:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by staciclubb View Post
So, basically, did you think you could extend your miles, which usually expire on December 31, to March 31, 2022, by buying a premium ticket until December 31, which you canceled today?
What? Be a good sport and read this thread, all answers were already provided.
chris63 and hugolover like this.
Old Jan 5, 22, 6:32 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN**
Originally Posted by cas_de View Post
Didn't M&M have a rule in place if you cxed an award booked with miles after the expiration date, the miles would get re-credited and extended until the end of the current quarter?
It is not a 'T&C rule' or 'rule'. The agents have the option to manually book the expired miles back onto the account and then immediately apply it to an award they booked as a replacement. This is done in an invol situation or if there is no inventory available for a rebooking. Cancelling the award over the phone and then booking online is not how its supposed to be done. OP should have asked the agent who cancelled the award to book a new one in the same session.
Old Jan 5, 22, 6:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
It is not a 'T&C rule' or 'rule'. The agents have the option to manually book the expired miles back onto the account and then immediately apply it to an award they booked as a replacement. This is done in an invol situation or if there is no inventory available for a rebooking. Cancelling the award over the phone and then booking online is not how its supposed to be done. OP should have asked the agent who cancelled the award to book a new one in the same session.
Agent informed me that miles will be refunded and charged me 50 EUR per passenger for cancellation fee. He even said that I have until end of quarter to use those expired miles. Yeeey.
Just shocking.
Old Jan 5, 22, 7:04 am

Programs: LH, A3, BA
What about getting in touch with a lawyer specialized in such cases then? Sounds to me as if you have been short changed here and 90k miles are sufficient value to get a court moving. There is a user over at VFT who is a lawyer with said specialization …
mirror74 likes this.
Old Jan 5, 22, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Talking

Originally Posted by Jensens View Post
What about getting in touch with a lawyer specialized in such cases then? Sounds to me as if you have been short changed here and 90k miles are sufficient value to get a court moving. There is a user over at VFT who is a lawyer with said specialization …
Not a bad idea. But for now, I have send written complaint to the back office, although I do not expect answer to be positive.
Old Jan 6, 22, 8:05 am

Location: between DM464 and DM463 on the NAPSA26 RNAV TRANS in EDDM
Programs: this and that
Originally Posted by mirror74 View Post
Agent informed me that miles will be refunded and charged me 50 EUR per passenger for cancellation fee. He even said that I have until end of quarter to use those expired miles. Yeeey.
Just shocking.
Not a bad idea. But for now, I have send written complaint to the back office, although I do not expect answer to be positive.
If you get your miles back for a €50 fee and you are able to use them to book a new itin before end of March I would rest my case. No need to kick up dust.
Old Jan 6, 22, 9:27 am

If you get your miles back for a €50 fee and you are able to use them to book a new itin before end of March I would rest my case. No need to kick up dust.
His whole point is that he isn‘t, which is why he might have to kick up some dust. I for sure would (subject to what the lawyer would advise me to do, of course). Now, on procedure, writing a letter asking for the miles to be reinstated is indeed the first step to be taken. Let me also emphasize, I think a solution should be found without involving lawyers and courts, but it’s always helpful to be aware of all options on the table.
Old Jan 6, 22, 9:45 am

His whole point is that he isn‘t, which is why he might have to kick up some dust. I for sure would (subject to what the lawyer would advise me to do, of course). Now, on procedure, writing a letter asking for the miles to be reinstated is indeed the first step to be taken. Let me also emphasize, I think a solution should be found without involving lawyers and courts, but it’s always helpful to be aware of all options on the table.
chris63 and pdeut like this.
Old Jan 7, 22, 2:42 am

Location: between DM464 and DM463 on the NAPSA26 RNAV TRANS in EDDM
Programs: this and that
Didn't the OP state that he has gotten his miles back and that he can reuse them until end of March?

Just shocking.
Old Jan 7, 22, 4:11 am

Programs: LH SEN
Didn't the OP state that he has gotten his miles back and that he can reuse them until end of March?
The agent told them that is what should happen. It is not what actually happened.
chris63 and mirror74 like this.

Search this Thread