Wiki Posts
Search

Utterly confused: how to requalify for HON

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2022, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Utterly confused: how to requalify for HON

I am completely confused about the information I am getting on my M&M account page.
  • I am HON and my requalification period was 2020-2021.
  • Before the end of 2021 I had 517k HON miles. I didn’t worry as M&M had promised to extend the status by one year
  • Now in 2022 I see that I have 471k HON miles in the period « 2020-Jan/Feb 2022 » and 129k I still need to earn.
  • Also in 2022, my card still shows validity until Feb 2022, although I thought it’d get extended?
So my question is until when I have to earn the remaining 129k miles to requalify: until end of Feb 2022, or until the end of December 2022?

And: supposed I make that, for how long will that re-qualify me then? For 2 years 2023 and 2024, with validity of status until Feb 2025?
Old Jan 1, 2022, 3:48 pm

Programs: LH HON
Extensions will show before February

and you have until December

status will then be valid until 02/25
Old Jan 2, 2022, 1:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Thanks - that’s good news! That’s a number of miles relatively easy to achieve till the end of the year.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 4:59 am

Thanks, San Gottardo, had exactly the same question. Was already getting heat from my wife for not achieving those 36000 miles in 2021 that I needed to requalify.
now I have ~80000 miles missing, but I mistook the information on my account page as suggesting that it needs to be achieved by Feb 2022 (not Dec 2022). Let's hope daumueller is right.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 5:45 am

Programs: LX HON***, FB Silver, BA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt GP, Hertz Gold, GHA Black
A new year with old habits - LH is still able to confuse all of us (incl myself). This is what I call consistency. I hope the people in the LH board asking Spohr to look for a new vision keep this in mind. I believe LH will not be competitive if they continue to confuse their own people (even the HON call center people are not sure) and customers. Happy new year to all!
chris63 likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 6:15 am

BTW, I think LH is smart when they try and retain their HON base. If I dropped out of HON in Feb 22, I think - given the uncertainties of what will be over the next two years - would not try and renew for the 2022-2023 cycle. Instead, I would hedge my bets and go for Gold in several different alliances. If they give me a reasonable target this year, i will stay.
Have been HON since program inception in 1872.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by CalFlyer
Have been HON since program inception in 1872.
Wow! LH existed and even had HON before the Wright brothers!

PS nicely done being HON since inception
Old Jan 2, 2022, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by HKG1111
A new year with old habits - LH is still able to confuse all of us (incl myself). This is what I call consistency. I hope the people in the LH board asking Spohr to look for a new vision keep this in mind. I believe LH will not be competitive if they continue to confuse their own people (even the HON call center people are not sure) and customers. Happy new year to all!
well. The rules this year actually seem pretty straight forward to me and are also displayed in the app / were communicated last year.
chris63 likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by NYC1
Wow! LH existed and even had HON before the Wright brothers!

PS nicely done being HON since inception
Wow, I thought I was doing well at over 10 Years, they won’t be able to put all those ⭐️ on the ops card
Old Jan 2, 2022, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by HKG1111
They did try to keep us flying but I didn’t find it confusing, the M&M showed my status & progress correctly , when it wasn’t offline… & the emails did explain the generous assistance towards requalification, at LH I could have reached out to my HON PA.
If your LX HON, why not contact core customer care ?

Happy New Year !
Old Jan 2, 2022, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by daumueller
well. The rules this year actually seem pretty straight forward to me and are also displayed in the app / were communicated last year.
Well, I do not agree

The information in the app, showing "Requalifizierung 2021/Jan+Feb 2022" is - also to me - completely new. I can not see how this is according to the previously communicated procedures.

My understanding from the communication so far has been (given a HON with requalification period 2020+2021): "Achieve 600,000 HON miles in 2020+2021 and get status until Feb. 2024. Alternatively, get status until Feb. 2023".
There was nothing stated like "achieve 600,000 miles in 2021 + Jan/Feb 2022". However, this seems to be the target, which is currently being shown also in my app. To make the confusion complete, the shown target does not state what happens in this case: Does this extend status until 2023, 2024 or 2025?

My expectation is the following, which would not be in the interest of the HON at all: If you achieve 600,000 miles until Feb. 2022, the status will only be extended until Feb. 2024. That would mean: If you fly more, you get less (!!) status. Because: If you only achieve 600,000 after Feb 2022, you would get status until Feb. 2025 (!), i.e. for a whole more year.

Keep this in mind: This means that:
- if you fly more, you get less status validity!
- if you achieve 600,000 miles e.g. in March, your status would be valid until Feb. 2025 - the same validity as someone, who gets the free year granted!

So: At least for me (someone who did not read a lot about status etc. and does not have too much knowledge about the topic), it does indeed sound confusing and it is not a clear procedure and/or strait forward at all....

If you could clarify my confusion, it would be gladly appreciated!!
Old Jan 2, 2022, 11:41 pm

The communication said that extensions will happen early 2022 - so expected that it didn’t happen by January first.

Other than that, what you see is completely normal and by the rules - it makes a difference if you extend before feb or after feb in the year where status expires, has always been that way. And doesn’t really apply as it won’t expire
Old Jan 3, 2022, 12:20 am

I’m confused, that a HON can be confused how to requalify. If someone has qualified for HON, shouldn’t he know the basics of the program? Or - if he just doesn’t care - shouldn’t one of his assistants know these basics? And who is expecting to find all informations about requalifiction rules in a cockpit overview of an app?

All HONs with their status ending 02/2022 and who didn’t requalify will get their status extended to 02/2023.

If you requalify, you get the status extended by at least two years plus the time until the next end of February. So with the same miles you can extend your status by 2 years plus 1 day of by 2 years plus 364 days.

And yes, you (re)qualify for HON with the HON miles of two consecutive years, but you can’t use the same year twice for (re)qualification.

The HON miles of 2019 are also part of 2021.

All evouchers can be used at least until end of 2022.

Actually there were a lot of communication about that. By M&M in emails and on the website, in all leading traveler blogs and here on FT as well.
chris63 likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 2:14 am

Programs: LH HON**
Likewise, I am a little confused. I have received absolutely zero communication about HON qualification in 2022. No emails, no letters, nothing on the M&M app. I just saw that my counter had updated on Jan 1st and it appears I now need ~89k by Feb rather than 54k I needed in 2021, which is consistent with the miles earned in 2020 no longer being valid.

The only info I have heard, from others on this forum, is that it will be 2021 + 2019 re credit + 2022. That is very generous, but the only official info contradicts this - the app indicating that it is 2021 + 2019 + 2022 Jan/feb.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 2:17 am

Programs: LH HON**
Originally Posted by CalFlyer
Thanks, San Gottardo, had exactly the same question. Was already getting heat from my wife for not achieving those 36000 miles in 2021 that I needed to requalify.
now I have ~80000 miles missing, but I mistook the information on my account page as suggesting that it needs to be achieved by Feb 2022 (not Dec 2022). Let's hope daumueller is right.
In my case, it was heat from my wife that stopped me getting the 54k I still needed. I had booked a spurious trip to São Paulo in December but eventually cancelled it as she thought I was losing my mind.
MichielR likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.