Mask enforcement in Austrian flights

Old Sep 25, 2021, 8:48 pm
Original Poster

Mask enforcement in Austrian flights

Guys, I am about to fly to Vienna from New York's JFK in 4 days and have 2 basic questions:
1) Austrian posted this tweet that indicates that surgical mask (typical disposable blue masks most travelers wear) are no longer allowed. Is this really the case/enforced? I watched some recent trip reports on YouTube and see a bunch of people waring the blue masks

2) Seems that those who are fully vaccinated and can present the CDC card with 2 doses don't need to provide any test to Austrian or upon arrival to Austria (only on return to the US). Is this correct?
Old Sep 25, 2021, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LeoNYC10
Guys, I am about to fly to Vienna from New York's JFK in 4 days and have 2 basic questions:
1) Austrian posted this tweet that indicates that surgical mask (typical disposable blue masks most travelers wear) are no longer allowed. Is this really the case/enforced? I watched some recent trip reports on YouTube and see a bunch of people waring the blue masks

2) Seems that those who are fully vaccinated and can present the CDC card with 2 doses don't need to provide any test to Austrian or upon arrival to Austria (only on return to the US). Is this correct?
They were enforcing the mask requirement at IAD Tuesday.
Old Sep 25, 2021, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TomMM
They were enforcing the mask requirement at IAD Tuesday.
Apologies, just wanted to clarify - enforcing meaning that those wearing blue surgical masks were not allowed on the plane, or you mean they made sure people were wearing masks (any type)? Assuming lots of people are simply not aware of this FFP2 mask requirement, would they turn away people not having these NK95 type masks?
Old Sep 25, 2021, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LeoNYC10
Apologies, just wanted to clarify - enforcing meaning that those wearing blue surgical masks were not allowed on the plane, or you mean they made sure people were wearing masks (any type)? Assuming lots of people are simply not aware of this FFP2 mask requirement, would they turn away people not having these NK95 type masks?
They were enforcing the FFP2 requirement. They did make an announcement that passengers would be provided one if needed.
Old Sep 25, 2021, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

They were enforcing the FFP2 requirement. They did make an announcement that passengers would be provided one if needed.
OK, great to know that they provide in case one does not have. Thank you!

What about my 1st question, if you know: if I have the CDC card with 2 vaccinations seems I don't need to register or do a test before the flight, right?
Old Sep 25, 2021, 10:03 pm

Programs: UA plat (1 mm miler) ; AA plat (2 mm miler); Marriott lifetime Titanium
I flew 2 weeks to VIE and a photo of my card was sufficient. However, they just updated a bunch of rules last week, so recommend you check with airline or tourist office. FYR, many museums required FFP masks and strictly enforced it.
Old Sep 26, 2021, 1:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic 1, Amtrak Select, Marriott Plat , AMEX Plat (noted for club access reference)
Originally Posted by jtrader
I flew 2 weeks to VIE and a photo of my card was sufficient. However, they just updated a bunch of rules last week, so recommend you check with airline or tourist office. FYR, many museums required FFP masks and strictly enforced it.
McDonalds in Vienna was strictly enforcing VAX cards.

The FFP thing has been written for months, as someone said above recently they were enforcing it at IAD, but at EWR in July they weren't despite the same requirement, and the same went for in Vienna on trains it was never once enforced FFP vs. surgical mask. But things certainly could've changed.
Old Sep 26, 2021, 5:31 am

Programs: UA plat (1 mm miler) ; AA plat (2 mm miler); Marriott lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by theboss7593
McDonalds in Vienna was strictly enforcing VAX cards.

The FFP thing has been written for months, as someone said above recently they were enforcing it at IAD, but at EWR in July they weren't despite the same requirement, and the same went for in Vienna on trains it was never once enforced FFP vs. surgical mask. But things certainly could've changed.
they were strictly enforcing the FFP thing at the airport in Vienna last Thursday. This was not the case when I arrived 2 weeks ago. There was most definitely a change. When I boarded my Swiss flight, the flight attendants were wearing surgical masks, so I switched.

rules were applied differently around Vienna. No masks in hotels and restaurants after vaccination check. FFP required in most (but not all) museums and retailers. FFP recommended but not required at concert venues. Rules varied in other parts of the country.
Old Sep 26, 2021, 7:52 am

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
Did you happen to notice whether they were allowing N95 or KN95 masks, which are equivalent? FFP2 masks are rare in the U.S.
Old Sep 26, 2021, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kochleffel
Did you happen to notice whether they were allowing N95 or KN95 masks, which are equivalent? FFP2 masks are rare in the U.S.
Sorry no.
Old Sep 26, 2021, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by kochleffel
pretty sure N95 or K95 will be ok. I used one a few places, but also bought an FFP2 there. I cant tell the difference and not sure most people who check could either.
Old Sep 27, 2021, 2:25 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The mask rules are here: https://www.austrian.com/at/en/mask

FFP2 is deemed equivalent to N95/KN95

Entry requirements for VIE and other details are here: https://lhg.corporate.travel-regulat...h-enabled=true
Old Sep 27, 2021, 10:21 am
Suspended

Location: United States (mostly), New Zealand (sometimes), Sweden (now and then)
Originally Posted by oliver2002
The mask rules are here: https://www.austrian.com/at/en/mask

FFP2 is deemed equivalent to N95/KN95

Entry requirements for VIE and other details are here: https://lhg.corporate.travel-regulat...h-enabled=true
That screenshot says FFP3 which is a stricter standard.

Regarding N95/KN95/KF94/FFP2, etc.:
N95, FFP2, KN95, P2, KF94, and DS2 — What is the difference between these respirators and masks?

I use this mask, which is a lot easier to breathe through than typical N95 masks.
https://soomlab-korea.com/collection...irqueen-breeze

Last edited by DrinkSlinger; Sep 27, 2021 at 10:28 am
Old Sep 27, 2021, 2:37 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by jtrader
they were strictly enforcing the FFP thing at the airport in Vienna last Thursday. This was not the case when I arrived 2 weeks ago. There was most definitely a change. When I boarded my Swiss flight, the flight attendants were wearing surgical masks, so I switched.

rules were applied differently around Vienna. No masks in hotels and restaurants after vaccination check. FFP required in most (but not all) museums and retailers. FFP recommended but not required at concert venues. Rules varied in other parts of the country.
Thats because the rules changed about 10 days ago as cases crept up. all of summer surgical masks were fine. mid-sept FFP2 came back in fashion
Old Dec 25, 2021, 11:25 am

Programs: LH MM SEN & many others+++
FFP2 enforced on Austrian

I was surprised to find out today that Austrian is enforcing FFP2 masks.

I've had 24 legs with LH and LX during the past 5 weeks, in F,D,J,P,K,M... you name it, all classes.
Not even once LH/LX FA enforced this, even if in MUC airport were mandatory, on the flight there were still not enforced and I haven't seen anyone policing people.

I was expecting this from LX, but it was actually OS who first made this step.

I just wonder how long until LH and LX will align.

Luckily there were just 2 legs of 1h but imagine a
long haul flight with an FFP2.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.