Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

Has anyone been over charged for changing a flight using the online rebooking tool?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has anyone been over charged for changing a flight using the online rebooking tool?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2021, 12:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, United Silver, Etihad Silver
Anyone else been overcharged after changing a flight using online rebooking?

I'm flying from PHX to LHR via Frankfurt on May 23 for a week and decided to change my return leg to a different flight on the same day using the rebooking feature on Lufthansa's website. The new flight I picked showed a total fare difference of -$9.04. I decided to make the change and was prompted to confirm my credit card which would be credited the $9.04 fair difference. After completing the rebooking, I received an email confirmation with my new itinerary along along with the total ticket cost shown as $2247.62 which was the same price as my original booking. However, when I went to select my seat on the new flight, I noticed that the total ticket price displayed was now $3495.53 ($1247.91 more than my original ticket). I thought there must me something wrong so I decided to check my credit card and sure enough, there was a temporary charge for $1247.91 posted to my Amex card!!?? At no point during the rebooking process was I made aware that the new ticket would cost me and additional $1247.91 as it only showed that the new flight was $9.02 less than my original flight.

I called Lufthansa and after waiting over an hour on hold, got ahold of an agent and after explaining what had happened, he came off as being annoyed and unwilling to take the time to help resolve the my issue so instead, he brushed me off and told me I would have to send an email to Lufthansa Customer Relations to get the overcharge investigated. I asked to speak to his supervisor and he said that would make no difference and that my only option was to send an email. Realizing that there was no point wasting any more time with the agent, I ended the call and drafted an email and included the rebooking confirmation email that showed the total ticket cost was the same as my original booking.

Two weeks have passed since sending an email to Lufthansa Customer Relations and I have yet to receive a response. My trip starts in 2 days so I'm hoping that I will be able to sort this out with Lufthansa while I'm in Frankfurt waiting for my flight connection to LHR. Has anyone else been charged more than advertised when making a voluntary change to their ticket? If so, were you able to get Lufthansa to refund the unauthorized charges and how did you go about getting the refund?

Scott

Last edited by ssiedler; Aug 21, 2021 at 12:09 am
Old Aug 23, 2021, 3:03 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
I have been in slightyl different position, but i noticed there are usually two charges displayed online. One is for fare difference and one is for tax difference. It is possible your new itinerary is cheaper from tax standpoint but more expensive fare is being used. did you take screenshot of the rebooking tool prior to clicking on the change?
Old Aug 23, 2021, 5:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, United Silver, Etihad Silver
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
I have been in slightyl different position, but i noticed there are usually two charges displayed online. One is for fare difference and one is for tax difference. It is possible your new itinerary is cheaper from tax standpoint but more expensive fare is being used. did you take screenshot of the rebooking tool prior to clicking on the change?
Unfortunately I didn’t. Lufthansa was, up until that point, an honest and reputable airline so the thought never crossed my mind.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 9:04 pm

Same boat - overcharged by Lufthansa

Hi Scott, was your issue ever resolved? I was grossly overcharged similar to you for rebooking a flight on the Lufthansa app. $1470 instead of $250!! And I had no indication of that when I went in to rebook!!
Old Apr 13, 2022, 7:37 am

Programs: SEN**, Ex TK Elite+, Ex IB Sapphire, Hyatt Gold, Bonvoy, Meliá Platinum
Everytime I tried to rebook via LH app I ALWAYS got penalty+ fare difference, even though I rebooked to the same booking class, for the same flights, same time! Recently I tried to change business (D) for later 3h departure (same conex) and I got: 35€ penalty + 140€ fare difference, although the business (D) saver was exactly the same price! So it is NEVER penalty only.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 7:56 am

Did you get any help from Lufthansa customer service or did they refund you ? We are in same situation when we changed the dates 6 $ is credited but they di da transaction of 3029$ and trying to talk to Lufthansa service and we emailed the customer.relations no response . How do i get the money back ?
Old Jun 23, 2022, 9:49 am

Programs: LH FF*, A3, EK, CX
Originally Posted by Neena Chandran
Did you get any help from Lufthansa customer service or did they refund you ? We are in same situation when we changed the dates 6 $ is credited but they di da transaction of 3029$ and trying to talk to Lufthansa service and we emailed the customer.relations no response . How do i get the money back ?
This is insane! Looks like a cheating: gives you $6 and for exchange they take $3029 from you.
Wish you can sort this out ASAP...
Old Jun 23, 2022, 12:39 pm

tried calling customer service many times they didnt help .Their online tool is cheating. No where mentioning the price of the ticket until you see the credit card statement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.