Search

No service between meals in longhaul J

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2021, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: Miles and More (Senator)
No service between meals in longhaul J

Hi All,

A new member (but a longtime lurker) here. I recently flew LH in J class BOG-FRA. Before the flight the purser announced that because, you know, corona, there would be no service during the flight between meals and that is indeed what happened, i.e. after clearing the trays with the meals (which btw were actually quite decent) the crew refused to serve any additional beverages (because, you know, corona). As this was only my second flight in LH longhaul J since the start of the pandemic I would like to ask if this is the standard approach nowadays or whether this was just a case of an overzealous purser. It didn’t bother me THAT much as I still slept for nearly the entire flight, however I still consider it to be kind of weird that they would refuse to serve anything between meals (which BTW is contrary to what LH currently advertises as their service standard in J) on such a long (11h) flight and is certainly not consistent with my experience with other airlines during the pandemic (although admittedly, I only flew LO, TK and QR since it started).
Old Aug 16, 2021, 11:47 am

Programs: CO Gold
I dont think this is at all normal...and I beg you to raise bloody hell in twitter etc.......cause I am doing FRA-BOG at the end of september and surely dont want this .

(I am on ORD-FRA tomorrow )
chris63 likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 1:32 pm

Programs: LH -- HON Circle **, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Diamond, 1865 Voyager
Originally Posted by JD3313
Hi All,

A new member (but a longtime lurker) here. I recently flew LH in J class BOG-FRA. Before the flight the purser announced that because, you know, corona, there would be no service during the flight between meals and that is indeed what happened, i.e. after clearing the trays with the meals (which btw were actually quite decent) the crew refused to serve any additional beverages (because, you know, corona). As this was only my second flight in LH longhaul J since the start of the pandemic I would like to ask if this is the standard approach nowadays or whether this was just a case of an overzealous purser. It didn’t bother me THAT much as I still slept for nearly the entire flight, however I still consider it to be kind of weird that they would refuse to serve anything between meals (which BTW is contrary to what LH currently advertises as their service standard in J) on such a long (11h) flight and is certainly not consistent with my experience with other airlines during the pandemic (although admittedly, I only flew LO, TK and QR since it started).
My experience is different — no limitation of beverages and service between meals. But those experiences on long-haul was this April and May. April FRA-CUN-FRA in J and May FRA-GRU-ZRH in F.
chris63 likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 2:17 pm

I was on FRA-LAX around 2 month ago in J and LAX-FRA about a month ago in F.
Both times no problems to get something to drink and evensmall snacks between the main service.
chris63 likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 2:44 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Oneworld Silver
Sounds disgraceful and unacceptable unless there was a really good reason. I would complain in strong terms to LH. I guess pursers do have the right to deviate from standard service if absolutely necessary (emergencies, crew sickness on board...) but not just that BOG is a long flight and they didn't like the hotel....
chris63, TPJ, esledo and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 8:39 pm

Programs: LH SEN *
I'll be flying BOG-FRA in J very soon - on Aug 24 and I will report here on the service
Old Aug 16, 2021, 9:16 pm

This is ridiculous, unless there’s some other explanation that we’re not aware of.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 9:20 pm

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
Regular services fra-sfo last week....
Old Aug 16, 2021, 9:28 pm

It is ridiculous, I think the "logic" behind it is that the less passengers consume, the less frequently they take off their masks. And the less work to do for the crew, of course!
I know for sure that they didn't serve welcome drinks in PE and announced that they don't do refills after the meal in PE and Y for the same Covid excuse, and when I asked if they didn't serve welcome drinks in J too, the flight attendant confirmed.
​​It was PE on FRA-MEX and the same in PE on MEX-FRA. When I was kind of upset about no welcome drink, the purser who came to welcome me on board asked me what drink I wanted and he brought it to me.
FriendlyConfines likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 12:40 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
I do go to BOG monthly, but route via GRU or MEX, as the BOG route has been downgraded to A343 without F. I had no limitation on f&b whatsoever
Old Aug 17, 2021, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
That’s what Iberia is doing and this is the second time I’ve heard LH doing this. Do OS or LX do it?
Old Aug 17, 2021, 2:49 pm

It's one thing for the carrier to impose something like this as long as it is publicized in advance -- it is its right and passengers can make their decisions. It's another thing for a random purser on a random flight to do so. Not her/his decision to make whichever way you cut it, and LH should be told about this.
mmff likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2021, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: Miles and More (Senator)
Thanks for all the responses. I will complain to LH and let you know their response once I receive it!
Old Aug 18, 2021, 7:21 pm

As I said, I am going to fly BOG-FRA in J next week on Aug 24th, and here is the J menu for this flight as displayed on the Lufthansa site. If they have a nerve to announce no service between meals during the flight, I'll show it to the purser!
PS. Beef or Shrimp? What should I go for?
chrisny2 and FlyerLX like this.
Old Aug 19, 2021, 5:27 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
That’s what Iberia is doing and this is the second time I’ve heard LH doing this. Do OS or LX do it?
Based on feedback on IB forum, they already relaxed this policy. Some (lazy) F/A's still use it as an excuse for not delivering service.

Link: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33450958-post190.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.