No service between meals in longhaul J

Old Aug 19, 21, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Miles and More (Senator)
Originally Posted by andywaw View Post
PS. Beef or Shrimp? What should I go for?
I took the beef and it was actually surprisingly good (cooked medium rare which doesn't happen that often).
Old Aug 26, 21, 1:47 pm

Programs: LH SEN *
My BOG-FRA in J was disappointing. The cabin was quite empty, maybe 10 pax only.
So it was a kind of surprise that with two thirds of seats empty a woman came and took the seat right next to me. Everyone helped her with overhead bins, she spoke Spanish only and she made herself very comfortable. It turned out she had a seat in Economy Class and it took them around 20 minutes to realize that. Well, that mess was already a sign of bad service to come.
I was sitting in 5K and it felt like I was invisible. I was literally the last to get any service, and I was still eating when they turned the cabin lights off for sleeping. During breakfast some pax had already finished their tray and I was still waiting for mine. The flight attendants for some reason were focused during the meals only on the left side of the cabin, two or three of them running back and forth with glasses filled with drinks on the left side and there was only one on my right hand side happily chatting with pax in the first and second row while I literally had to press the call button to ask for a refill of my glass.
Regarding the service between the meals, they didn't announce anything like "we won't do it" but... I woke up three hours before landing and wanted a cup of tea. I pressed the call button with no effect for 10 minutes. I got up and went to the front galley - empty. I went to the galley behind Business Class - empty. No snacks, no drinks, no flight attendants. Ghost town. It felt like a cheap horror movie, dark cabin and deserted galleys. I was only hoping someone was flying that plane.
After another 10 minutes a flight attendant (?) sat and started doing some paper work in the galley behind the Business Class (I hadn't seen him before). Apparently he didn't pay attention to my call button on so I came up to him and he didn't even give me a look, busy with whatever he was doing. I went back to my seat, I went to the lavatory and came back to him. He finally finished and put the papers away so I asked him if there was anyone attending the Business Class. He said abruptly "Go to the front galley". I said I just had and there was nobody there. His answer was "They must be checking the toilets" (yeah, right, all of them). He thought that conversation was over but I didn't move so he asked, kind of upset, "what can I do for you" and I asked for tea. He told me to wait in the galley because he said he didn't know where I was sitting (!). No "here you are", "there you go", "enjoy" or whatever. I didn't see him again. The empty cup stayed there on my seat till breakfast was served.
Honestly, I've never experienced service like this on LH long haul J (11hrs flight), but I guess I am not experienced enough.

FRA-WAW in J. During the drinks service they were suggesting they would not accept any requests for drinks later (again, it didnt feel like it was an official announcement). I said I am going to drink tea after my meal and I will not order it now because do not like drinking cold tea. She looked, I mean really looked at me and said "OK I will try to remember to bring it to you later". Go figure.
Old Aug 26, 21, 2:04 pm

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
My BOG-FRA in J was disappointing. The cabin was quite empty, maybe 10 pax only.
So it was a kind of surprise that with two thirds of seats empty a woman came and took the seat right next to me. Everyone helped her with overhead bins, she spoke Spanish only and she made herself very comfortable. It turned out she had a seat in Economy Class and it took them around 20 minutes to realize that. Well, that mess was already a sign of bad service to come.
I was sitting in 5K and it felt like I was invisible. I was literally the last to get any service, and I was still eating when they turned the cabin lights off for sleeping. During breakfast some pax had already finished their tray and I was still waiting for mine. The flight attendants for some reason were focused during the meals only on the left side of the cabin, two or three of them running back and forth with glasses filled with drinks on the left side and there was only one on my right hand side happily chatting with pax in the first and second row while I literally had to press the call button to ask for a refill of my glass.
Regarding the service between the meals, they didn't announce anything like "we won't do it" but... I woke up three hours before landing and wanted a cup of tea. I pressed the call button with no effect for 10 minutes. I got up and went to the front galley - empty. I went to the galley behind Business Class - empty. No snacks, no drinks, no flight attendants. Ghost town. It felt like a cheap horror movie, dark cabin and deserted galleys. I was only hoping someone was flying that plane.
After another 10 minutes a flight attendant (?) sat and started doing some paper work in the galley behind the Business Class (I hadn't seen him before). Apparently he didn't pay attention to my call button on so I came up to him and he didn't even give me a look, busy with whatever he was doing. I went back to my seat, I went to the lavatory and came back to him. He finally finished and put the papers away so I asked him if there was anyone attending the Business Class. He said abruptly "Go to the front galley". I said I just had and there was nobody there. His answer was "They must be checking the toilets" (yeah, right, all of them). He thought that conversation was over but I didn't move so he asked, kind of upset, "what can I do for you" and I asked for tea. He told me to wait in the galley because he said he didn't know where I was sitting (!). No "here you are", "there you go", "enjoy" or whatever. I didn't see him again. The empty cup stayed there on my seat till breakfast was served.
Honestly, I've never experienced service like this on LH long haul J (11hrs flight), but I guess I am not experienced enough.

FRA-WAW in J. During the drinks service they were suggesting they would not accept any requests for drinks later (again, it didnt feel like it was an official announcement). I said I am going to drink tea after my meal and I will not order it now because do not like drinking cold tea. She looked, I mean really looked at me and said "OK I will try to remember to bring it to you later". Go figure.
Appalling & totally unacceptable, hope you lodge a complaint

Too many LH staff have given up & thrown in the towel, understandably they are going through difficult times, who isnt, but some of them are just making things worse for all
Old Aug 26, 21, 5:43 pm

Really poor, but anyway, no one flies LH J for the "service". Helga ticks the box, and that's it. Her J service and J product has never blown me over.

If business travel doesn't bounce back to the same extent in a speedy manner she's going to find herself up a creek without a paddle because leisure guests will not accept this service and that only means discounting and/or massive reductions in fleet size. She could get away with it with the boring consultant suits-hence the crap J seat-years and years of buckets of potato salad in the lounge etc.
chris63 and ysolde like this.
Old Aug 26, 21, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
It's time to fully dump this rubbish arrogant airline, the way I have done with BA. I have nothing positive to say about Lufthansa and my European flights this summer were at best poor. I just wish I wasn't so far up the tree with Miles & More. I mourn the day the demise of Air Berlin turned them into the defacto central European monopoly they have become (but frankly, I don't miss Air Berlin one jot either, it certainly wasn't a shining beacon in the airline industry).
chris63 and hugolover like this.
Old Aug 26, 21, 8:51 pm

A shameful display of service and another reason not to fall into the trap of the loyalty programs and status.
Old Aug 27, 21, 12:21 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN**
The FA doing the paperwork in his/her office is the P2 who calls the shots including the level of service. That sets the tone for the rest of the crew, and evidently it showed. Between meals most of the crew have their rest hours and only 1-2 FAs remain on night watch, which means they have to do rounds in the entire cabin every 30 mins to check the toilets, if anyone is incapacitated etc. The training says they are supposed to prepare a tray with water and carry it thru the cabin during that time. In C/F they offer to bring anything if the pax ask for it while they are passing thru.

Evidently it was a total fail on all fronts, I would definitely file a description on what happened here: https://www.lufthansa.com/de/en/feedback under 'travel experience'. The report does go on the P2s file and is discussed at the next team meeting.
Old Nov 12, 21, 1:42 pm

After sending the complaint, Lufthansa finally refunded me generously 12,67
Old Nov 12, 21, 4:02 pm

Did they make a mistake and accidentally send you the amount based on the cost of the C food and drink? Oops. Its out in the open now.
Old Nov 12, 21, 4:49 pm

You can't be serious. How was that amount determined?!
Old Nov 13, 21, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by mmff View Post
You can't be serious. How was that amount determined?!
Here is what Lufthansa replied:

Thank you for your email correspondence. We are sorry for the delayed response, due to the increased number of feedbacks we do not get to each one as quickly as we would like to.

Your experience on board your flights from Bogota to Frankfurt and Frankfurt to Warsaw is truly regrettable. We agree, this is not normal service. We can understand how disappointing this was for you and offer our sincere apologies.

Competent, professional and friendly interaction with our passengers is a critical component of Lufthansas philosophy. With our exclusive Business Class, we want to provide you with a travel experience that you can enjoy and remember fondly. It is how we wish to positively distinguish ourselves from other airlines, so it is of great importance to us that our passengers experience this to the fullest. We appreciate you taking the time to share the details of your experience with us, in doing so you give us a chance to ensure such problems do not recur.

Concerning the snack service, unavoidably, catering shortages have occurred due to the corona pandemic resulting in insufficient snacks being provided for our Business Class passengers. This has also unfortunately affected some meal and beverage services which was why only the one drink service was offered on the Frankfurt to Warsaw flight. We have seen significant improvement in this area and are confident this service will be returned to our standards and yours very soon.

While we cannot compensate for the absence of flight attendants, we are able to provide a 5% reimbursement of the Bogota to Frankfurt coupon for the lack of refreshments being available to you, which amounts to 12.67EUR.

We value your continued loyalty to Lufthansa as a Senator member and it is our hope, despite this experience, we have the opportunity to welcome you aboard one of our flights again soon despite your disappointment, giving us another chance to offer you the Business Class service you expect from us.

Sincerely,
Old Nov 13, 21, 1:37 pm

Programs: SK*G, Marriott Gold
How tone-deaf and downright insulting. Imagine offering a Senator member on a paid J ticket a 13 compensation.
Old Nov 14, 21, 4:10 pm

While we cannot compensate for the absence of flight attendants, we are able to provide a 5% reimbursement of the Bogota to Frankfurt coupon for the lack of refreshments being available to you, which amounts to 12.67EUR.
This does not seem like an automated reply, but I would like to believe that no human representative would consciously send this out. It is outright insulting.

On a separate note, were you actually able to find a BOG-FRA ticket in J for 253 EUR? It would be icing on the cake if LH got the math wrong.
Old Nov 16, 21, 2:12 pm

This does not seem like an automated reply, but I would like to believe that no human representative would consciously send this out. It is outright insulting.

On a separate note, were you actually able to find a BOG-FRA ticket in J for 253 EUR? It would be icing on the cake if LH got the math wrong.
My original booking was Economy Class for 990 EUR:

WAW-FRA-BOG in T
and BOG-FRA-WAW in Q.

I also paid 420 EUR for an upgrade of segments BOG-FRA to P and FRA-WAW to P.

Go figure
Old Nov 16, 21, 2:44 pm

If it was a cheap roundtrip ticket and LH took half the ticket price and subtracted all taxes/surcharges (including their own YQ), the math could be correct.

Search this Thread