Search

COVID19: vaccination/test requirements for German transit

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2021, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA PP, 2 MM; IC;
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
I missed the separate ticket part,
Thanks for catching that.
I chickened out and cashed in my two separate tickets for a LAX-IAD-FRA-SVQ and return... the changing noises was becoming to nerve twitching... so now I think being vaccinated, assuming Spain becomes official, I should be able to transit with just my vaccination card and passport... anyone have a different view?
Old May 25, 2021, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LondonElite
With two separate tickets you are never in transit, that has nothing to do with Covid. In your case you must be admissible to Germany, otherwise you will be denied boarding on flight one.
What if the onward travel is not by air? The German gov website says the following, in which case the train, bus, ferry, whatever ticket would not be with the same airline as the ticket to Germany, correct? At this point where could one go, from Germany, which would even meet the below criteria, that would not be by air?

Third-country nationals may enter Germany to travel to another EU member state, another Schengen member state or the United Kingdom as their country of final destination if the following conditions are met:
  1. the traveller remains in Germany (as country of transit) only as long as absolutely necessary to travel directly to the country of destination or another transit country;
  2. the traveller is permitted to enter the country of destination or another transit country, if applicable.
The third-country national must provide evidence on the entry that the conditions (1) and (2) listed above have been met. Airline or other travel tickets, etc. may be presented to meet condition (1). To meet condition (2), travellers can present authorisation of entry to the country of destination (e.g. a visa) or an identity document or residence authorisation for the country of destination, for example.

The obligation to self-isolate at home does not apply in the case of transit through Germany. In this case, however, you are obliged to leave Germany immediately.
Old May 26, 2021, 12:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
What if the onward travel is not by air? The German gov website says the following, in which case the train, bus, ferry, whatever ticket would not be with the same airline as the ticket to Germany, correct? At this point where could one go, from Germany, which would even meet the below criteria, that would not be by air?

Third-country nationals may enter Germany to travel to another EU member state, another Schengen member state or the United Kingdom as their country of final destination if the following conditions are met:
  1. the traveller remains in Germany (as country of transit) only as long as absolutely necessary to travel directly to the country of destination or another transit country;
  2. the traveller is permitted to enter the country of destination or another transit country, if applicable.
The third-country national must provide evidence on the entry that the conditions (1) and (2) listed above have been met. Airline or other travel tickets, etc. may be presented to meet condition (1). To meet condition (2), travellers can present authorisation of entry to the country of destination (e.g. a visa) or an identity document or residence authorisation for the country of destination, for example.

The obligation to self-isolate at home does not apply in the case of transit through Germany. In this case, however, you are obliged to leave Germany immediately.
The issue with air travel on separate tickets is you must be admissible to the first destination. Otherwise you will (likely) be denied boarding at the origin airport. These agents won’t care about what your plans are after you arrive.
Old May 26, 2021, 3:13 am

Anyone here have recent experience flying to or transiting Germany on LH with an "immunity/document of recovery certificate?" We have these from our local medical clinic and plan to use them to transit FRA with LH (Schengen to non Schengen). Each letter is in English and includes the individual's name, address, personal/national number (whose first eight digits are the individual's birthdate), type of test (PCR), date of test, lab ID, passport number, and is signed by a doctor. The test results are more than 28 days old and less than six months. Any reason these won't be accepted? We have successfully used them once already to fly with SAS to the US, but not LH.
Old May 26, 2021, 3:32 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
These are only valid as test replacement since May 21, so reports are yet to appear. Here in Germany the positive PCR test report itself is enough. LH travel regulations say the same:

https://lufthansa.travel-regulations...h-enabled=true

Traveling to Germany from High Incidence Areas, Risk Areas and Non-Risk Areas:

a. Entering Germany from High Incidence Areas and Risk Areas:

• All passengers (all nationalities) older than 6 years must provide one of the following medical certificates (in German, English, French, Italian or Spanish):
  • Negative COVID Test result (digital or printed): Either PCR, LAMP or TMA test, taken within 72 hours before entry into Germany, or AntiGen test, taken with 48 hours before entering Germany.
  • Proof of Immunity (digital or printed): positive PCR-/LAMP-/TMA-test, issued between 28 days and 6 months before entry
  • Proof of Vaccination (digital or printed): Completed vaccination, i.e. final dose has been given 14 days ago, the vaccine must be approved by
We will try to enter Germany from Spain with the test and I will post the experience
Baker421 likes this.
Old May 26, 2021, 4:11 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
These are only valid as test replacement since May 21, so reports are yet to appear. Here in Germany the positive PCR test report itself is enough. LH travel regulations say the same:

https://lufthansa.travel-regulations...h-enabled=true

We will try to enter Germany from Spain with the test and I will post the experience
That is so strange . . . I checked just yesterday and I know I saw somewhere on Lufthansa's website that all tests (I assumed both positive and negative) needed to have identifying information, including name, address, birth date (I was a bit worried about that not being absolutely specified on our letters), test result, type, and a doctor's signature. But now I can't find that anywhere on their website. I guess it really does change day to day at this point in the game.

Thank you, I'd appreciate hearing how the experience goes.
Old May 26, 2021, 4:22 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Of course any of the test report have that fundamental requirement, mine all have the details you mention.
Baker421 likes this.
Old May 28, 2021, 9:24 am

FRA transit to Austria- COVID question

Our family is flying to Austria from BOS via FRA. Me and my wife are vaccinated and our children 7,5 and 2 are not. Can we transit through FRA without testing? Can we enter Austria without testing?
Thank you very much for your help.
Old May 28, 2021, 3:06 pm

https://lufthansa.travel-regulations...estination=fra

c. Transiting Germany from High Incidence Areas, Risk Areas and Non-Risk Areas to any destination outside Germany:

Transfer from any country via Germany to Schengen destinations: All passengers (all nationalities) older than 6 years must provide one of the following medical certificates (in German, English, French, Italian or Spanish) in addition to any destination country's entry requirements:
  • Negative COVID Test result (digital or printed): Either PCR, LAMP or TMA test, taken within 72 hours before entry into Germany, or AntiGen test, taken within 48 hours before entering Germany.
  • Proof of Immunity (digital or printed): positive PCR-/LAMP-/TMA-test, issued between 28 days and 6 months before entry
  • Proof of Vaccination (digital or printed): Completed vaccination, i.e. final dose has been given 14 days ago, the vaccine must be approved by
Paul-Ehrlich-Institute .
Your older child needs a test. A simple antigen quicktest from your nearest walgreen will do.
Old May 28, 2021, 4:57 pm

Thank you Oliver.
On another note- would I be considered as entering Austria from Germany or the US (BOS-FRA-GRZ)
Old May 29, 2021, 3:58 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
You would enter Austria from Germany, but obviously would be considered originating in the US since you were there in the previous 14 days.

Not sure what passports you are carrying but as of today, US citizens without residence in Europe are not admissible to Austria.
Old May 29, 2021, 9:37 am

Programs: AA Gold
I can't find he requirements for transferring through Frankfurt to a non Shengen country. We will be flying IAH-FRA on UA, 10 hour daytime layover, FRA-WDH on LH. We are both vaccinated. We will have a PCR test done for entry to Namibia but it will have been done 4 days before entry to Germany. We can get an antigen test at 48 hours if we have to.

If vaccination is enough how do we prove it, do we just bring our CDC covid card? Do we have to upload to a German government website or to Lufthansa? If possible, I would like to leave the airport for the layover and go into the city.
Old May 29, 2021, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by susiesan
I can't find he requirements for transferring through Frankfurt to a non Shengen country..
From Post 118 above:

b. Transiting Germany from Areas of Variants of Concern:

Arriving from a Schengen country: any transfer via Germany is only allowed to German nationals, their immediate family members and holders of German resident permit.
  • All passengers (all nationalities) older than 6 years must provide a negative COVID Test result (digital or printed, in German, English, French, Italian or Spanish): Either PCR, LAMP or TMA test, taken within 72 hours before entry into Germany, or AntiGen test, taken with 24 hours before entering Germany.
  • Travelers must

Arriving from a Non-Schengen country, transferring via Germany to German domestic flights and Schengen destinations: only allowed to German nationals, their immediate family members and holders of German resident permit.
  • All passengers (all nationalities) older than 6 years must provide a negative COVID Test result (digital or printed, in German, English, French, Italian or Spanish): Either PCR, LAMP or TMA test, taken within 72 hours before entry into Germany, or AntiGen test, taken with 24 hours before entering Germany.
  • Travelers must

Arriving from a Non-Schengen country, transferring via Germany to another Non-Schengen Country: allowed for all nationals.
  • No medical certificate and no online registration required.
Old May 29, 2021, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by susiesan
If possible, I would like to leave the airport for the layover and go into the city.
If you are not a German citizen nor resident you will not be allowed to leave the non-Schengen transit area of the airport.
Old May 29, 2021, 1:35 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by supine
If you are not a German citizen nor resident you will not be allowed to leave the non-Schengen transit area of the airport.
I am not a German citizen or resident. Amy ideas or where to find what is open at FRA and what we can do for 10 hours since we can't even go to a close by hotel? I dread the thought of spending a day in an airport.

For any Germans here, what do you read or hear about the relgulations changing soon to allow vaccinated Americans to enter Germany? Any news on that front?

Last edited by susiesan; May 29, 2021 at 2:03 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.