Community
Wiki Posts
Search

COVID19: vaccination/test requirements for German transit

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2020, 5:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
COVID19: vaccination/test requirements for German transit

I know there is a new law in place that passengers flying to Germany from Turkey must have a negative COVID test done in the past 48 hours. However, I cannot find any info on transit passengers in FRA and MUC that stay in the non-Schengen zone. Does this law only apply to passengers ending travel in Germany/E.U. or all passengers?

If I am flying from IST-FRA-LAX, do I need the COVID test or not? I will be staying in the non-Schengen zone the entire time.

Last edited by zeer0; Aug 28, 2020 at 9:20 am
Old Aug 28, 2020, 5:54 am

Programs: IB+ Emerald (Platino), M&M Senator (Gold), Meliá Rewards Platino, NH Platinum
Originally Posted by zeer0
I know there is a new law in place that passengers flying to Germany from Turkey must have a negative COVID test done in the past 48 hours. However, I cannot find any info on transit passengers in FRA and MUC that stay in the non-Schengen zone. Does this law only apply to passengers ending travel in Germany/E.U. or all passengers?

If I am flying from IST-FRA-LAX, do I need the COVID test or not? I will be staying in the non-Schengen zone the entire time.
Sorry, but I´ll add another question.
If I do MAD-FRA-TXL, technically I can avoid the quarantine, because in FRA I stay in the Schengen zone and don´t leave the airport and in TXL I arrive on a domestic flight.... ?
Old Aug 28, 2020, 7:08 am

Location: between DM464 and DM463 on the NAPSA26 RNAV TRANS in EDDM
Programs: this and that
Originally Posted by Marcin83
If I do MAD-FRA-TXL, technically I can avoid the quarantine, because in FRA I stay in the Schengen zone and don´t leave the airport and in TXL I arrive on a domestic flight.... ?
It doesn't matter which route you take. You enter Germany from a high risk zone therefore you need to quarantine. How that's enforced is a different question. During the past lockdown they introduced passport controls between Spain and Germany. Don't know if they will do that again. It is unlikely that someone will stop you at TXL. The rules say that you need to contact the local CDC office (Gesundheitsamt) informing them that you have arrived from a high risk zone. They will formally put you in quarantine at a location you chose. If / how they are going to enforce it is another question.

Right now you can avoid quarantine by providing a negative covid-19 test or getting tested upon arrival. I think there was an agreement earlier this week to change the process after all the summer hols have wrapped up and everybody needs to go into quarantine for 14 days. That quarantine can be shortened by getting tested on or after day 5.
Old Aug 28, 2020, 11:10 am

The covid check in frankfurt is outside the security area. So you cannot do the test without leaving security area (which I would try to avoid).
If Turkey has no test income requirements you will be good
Old Aug 28, 2020, 11:37 am

Programs: LH HON
also, these rules exist for a reason... people trying to find loopholes or just ignoring the rules won’t make this mess any better...
tmac100 and athome like this.
Old Aug 28, 2020, 12:18 pm

Programs: IB+ Emerald (Platino), M&M Senator (Gold), Meliá Rewards Platino, NH Platinum
Originally Posted by daumueller
also, these rules exist for a reason... people trying to find loopholes or just ignoring the rules won’t make this mess any better...
It was just my curiosity. I don´t want to skip any rule I have an access to free qRT-PCR testing so it is no issue for me
Old Aug 29, 2020, 3:44 am
Suspended

Upon arrival in FRA, there will be passport control right as you exit the jetway or gate. This is unusual as MAD-FRA is an intra-Schengen flight but that's how it's been handled recently for arrivals from high-risk areas.

It sure appears that control is more about enforcing entry restrictions rather than the mandatory quarantine. But I guess the control at the internal border together with the flight attendant's control of the forms ("Aussteigekarten"), they will catch a non-trivial fraction of those trying to game the system. (On my last flight from a country Germany deems high risk into FRA, I got the impression flight attendants were very diligent in comparing the Aussteigekarten with the data on the passenger manifest.)
Old Aug 31, 2020, 1:57 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by zeer0
No restrictions on transit pax, you just stay on the N-S side and wait for your flight.
zeer0 likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
UPDATE: So our friends left a few days early on the exact same flights home. They did not have any problems with not having a test. The new Turkey to Germany test requirement applies only if Germany is the final destination, not if someone is transiting through Germany. They said the Lufthansa check-in desks in IST did a very good job with written signs about this.
Old Sep 1, 2020, 1:02 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Report of ORD-FRA-BLR is here by @galacticos : no issues whatsoever in N-S transit at FRA.

Help. Stuck in India. Need to get back to US
Old Sep 1, 2020, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by oliver2002
No restrictions on transit pax, you just stay on the N-S side and wait for your flight.
Good to know!
Old Sep 4, 2020, 2:06 am

Programs: UA Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
We just departed IST this morning for FRA in transit to the UK. Can confirm there was no requirement to present Negative COVID test result, although we did get tested the night before the flight at IST and got the results around midnight so had one available if it had been requested.

Did have an interesting experience on arrival re: passenger locator forms. On flight 2 weeks ago from USA via Frankfurt we were informed we didn’t need to complete the form since we were only in transit. For this flight today the forms hadn’t been loaded on the flight so on arrival we had to wait for them to be distributed and flight crew insisted on we had to complete it even for transit passengers.

this was clearly an error since the main part of the form asks for an address in Germany for the next 14 days which clearly we don’t have. Nonetheless we completed the form and left the address parts blank and handed it back to crew.

On leaving the plane, transit passengers were told to disembark first and we were greeted by Bundespolizei who wanted to see passports and onward travel boarding cards which we duly presented. They did also ask us whether we had a negative COVID test and so we said we did - they did not ask to see it though and I imagine there were passengers behind us who did not have a test result (since it’s not required!)
Old Sep 4, 2020, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Just wanted to say THANK YOU for taking the time to post your experiences. We got a scary automatic email from Lufthansa saying that all passengers traveling to Germany from Turkey require a negative COVID test, and neither Lufthansa’s website nor others seem to clarify that transit passengers are not affected.

Last edited by nickab; Sep 4, 2020 at 11:56 pm
Old Sep 5, 2020, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mattg85
We just departed IST this morning for FRA in transit to the UK. Can confirm there was no requirement to present Negative COVID test result, although we did get tested the night before the flight at IST and got the results around midnight so had one available if it had been requested.

Did have an interesting experience on arrival re: passenger locator forms. On flight 2 weeks ago from USA via Frankfurt we were informed we didn’t need to complete the form since we were only in transit. For this flight today the forms hadn’t been loaded on the flight so on arrival we had to wait for them to be distributed and flight crew insisted on we had to complete it even for transit passengers.

this was clearly an error since the main part of the form asks for an address in Germany for the next 14 days which clearly we don’t have. Nonetheless we completed the form and left the address parts blank and handed it back to crew.

On leaving the plane, transit passengers were told to disembark first and we were greeted by Bundespolizei who wanted to see passports and onward travel boarding cards which we duly presented. They did also ask us whether we had a negative COVID test and so we said we did - they did not ask to see it though and I imagine there were passengers behind us who did not have a test result (since it’s not required!)
You know what's hilarious, we flew IST-FRA on the same flight. What a mess that was on arrivals with the forms being handed out. Someone in front of me started arguing with the flight attendants over filling it out because we were all transiting the non-Schengen part.

I was also surprised at how strict security in IST was for the flight. They had the same people who do Israel security at the check-in counters and gate. I flew IST-MUC on TK a few weeks earlier and there was none of that.
Old Sep 7, 2020, 1:37 am

Programs: UA 1K
And to submit my data point -- we were not asked to fill out the forms as transit passengers, no COVID test was required (OLCI worked just fine, straight to gate), and yes, there were Bundespolizei at the end of the jet bridge, but they just asked us to show our passports and waved us through without opening the passports as soon as they saw them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.