Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Star Alliance Data Breach

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2021, 1:41 am
Original Poster

SITA Data Breach

Just had this through from Miles & More.
Between 21.1. and 11.2.2021, a data breach occurred at a service provider of one of our Star Alliance partners. The incident involved hackers penetrating a booking system and accessing customer data from Star Alliance partners.

The data in question relates exclusively to service card numbers, status level and in some cases names. Unfortunately, your customer data is also affected. You can rest assured, however, that no passwords, email addresses or other personal customer data were stolen in the incident.

Transparency is a top priority for us at Miles & More. That is why we are hereby informing you about the incident, although it took place outside the Lufthansa Group. There is no need for you to take any action in this matter.

Yours sincerely,

Your Miles & More Service Team

Last edited by Dave_C; Mar 5, 2021 at 2:50 am
Old Mar 5, 2021, 1:48 am

Programs: LH FTL, FB Gold
I am very doubtful of transparency claims when there is no sharing of the name of the service provider involved. Once again a disgrace when it comes to personal data.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 1:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mr.Potato
I am very doubtful of transparency claims when there is no sharing of the name of the service provider involved. Once again a disgrace when it comes to personal data.
My guess is that it'll be one of the GDS providers, perhaps Amadeus?
Old Mar 5, 2021, 2:00 am

Programs: LH M+M
It's SITA
https://www.sita.aero/pressroom/news...rity-incident/
Dave_C and BinSabai like this.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 2:26 am

Programs: LH SEN, HH Dia, Accor Plat
Allais pathetic excuses

On SITA website... Pandemy, COVID19, highly sophisticated attack,... blablabla. Never acknowledging 'we saved money on security, the admin password was left to 000000, ...'. Not even an apology. It is never the fault of the company. There are so many of these breaches now that they all hope we start to be accustomed to these so that they have nothing to do... apart from an already prepared email in case of.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 2:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Any harm/damage? If no, move on...just my cents.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 3:10 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by SK AAR
Any harm/damage? If no, move on...just my cents.
they claim no damage and members do not need to do anything...
Old Mar 5, 2021, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I got the same, having just logged into my email now, and my first reaction was that it was some phishing attempt or something similar. Probably nothing to worry about.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 3:13 am

Programs: LX HON Circle
Received a similar email also from other *A members such as SQ. The content of the message was the same.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 3:38 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
AI uses SITA PSS which was breached. If you didn't fly AI there is no harm done, at most they have your M&M number and status.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 4:29 am

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
So hackers now know the number of HON and SEN?
Grog, weero, whiskey_sk and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 4:35 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The number of pax who travelled on AI and provided a M&M number starting with 3330 or 2220
Old Mar 5, 2021, 4:57 am

Location: between DM464 and DM463 on the NAPSA26 RNAV TRANS in EDDM
Programs: this and that
Originally Posted by oliver2002
The number of pax who travelled on AI and provided a M&M number starting with 3330 or 2220
Travelling on AI during which timeframe? The period mentioned in the press release or anyone that has travelled on AI in the [recent] past?
Old Mar 5, 2021, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
I seriously doubt many HON or SEN travel with AI (unless it is the only choice available). Let's move on.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 5:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oliver2002
But it's not limited to that - they have taken my data, coupled with the ability to login to Lufthansa.com with just the FF# and PIN (which is only 5 digits), I think this *is* a risk.
HONline likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.