Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

LH travel regulations from/to high incidence and virus variant countries

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2021, 6:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: M&M SEN**; FB Silver; IHG Platinum

Just received the following travel information:
Traveling to Germany from “areas of variant of concern”:

(...)

Transiting Germany:
  • From Schengen countries that are classified as "area of variant of concern": Any transit via Germany is only allowed to German nationals and holders of German resident permit
  • From "areas of variant of concern", transiting to German domestic flights and Schengen destinations is only allowed to German nationals and holders of German resident permit
  • From "areas of variant of concern", transiting to Non-Schengen destinations is allowed to any national. The destination countries' entry regulations must be adhered to.
Now, being based at PRG, which is an area of variants of concern:

-as per Alinea 1, I am specifically banned from flying LH based on my nationality. Period. Pure discrimination, but that is not the (main) point here.
-as per Alinea 3, I should be able to transit to a Non-Schengen destination.

Hence: what alinea does prevail? Am I allowed to fly LH at all or not? And if yes, does it mean that I can fly e.g. PRG-FRA-GRU, but I will be unable to return from GRU, as a flight GRU-FRA-PRG is also out-of-bounds to me (as per Alinea 2)?

And let it be said clearly that these are LH´s rules. As per official info found on https://www.bmi.bund.de/SharedDocs/f...irus-faqs.html , ANY transit between flights without leaving the airport is allowed:

Which exceptions apply to the transport ban and the restrictions on entry from areas of variants of concern?

Exceptions to the transport ban and restrictions on entry from areas of variants of concern apply to the following persons and in the following cases:
  1. (...)
  2. persons who are only transferring from one flight to another and remain in the airport transit area without entering Germany;

Last edited by NightFly; Feb 15, 2021 at 6:15 am
Old Feb 15, 2021, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by NightFly
Just received the following travel information:

Now, being based at PRG, which is an area of variants of concern:

-as per Alinea 1, I am specifically banned from flying LH based on my nationality. Period. Pure discrimination, but that is not the (main) point here.
-as per Alinea 3, I should be able to transit to a Non-Schengen destination.

Hence: what alinea does prevail? Am I allowed to fly LH at all or not? And if yes, does it mean that I can fly e.g. PRG-FRA-GRU, but I will be unable to return from GRU, as a flight GRU-FRA-PRG is also out-of-bounds to me (as per Alinea 2)?
Hi there, I am solving similar issue VIE-FRA-CUN (but Slovak citizenship), 2 call center (Germany and SK/CZ) told me I am allowed to travel, but SK/CZ one told me they will investigate it a bit deeper because they WERE NOT QUITE SURE. Total mess from LH. So I think you should be OK atm if you CAN fly from PRG. If not, VIE is the way how to for you too. I also expecting updated answer.
Maestro Ramen likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
You will get nowhere with allegation of discrimination based on nationality during Covid. Nobody will pay attention.

You will not be able to fly the return flight from GRU. Contact LH for rebooking; maybe LX via ZRH is an option.

Anyway, it is incredible stupid to travel to Brazil now. The aim of the latest entry German rules seem to be exactly people like you; Germany tries to avoid "importing" the Brazilian virus string with people coming from Brazil, even if in transit only. You really can't blame them - or LH for that matter.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 7:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SK AAR

Anyway, it is incredible stupid to travel to Brazil now. The aim of the latest entry German rules seem to be exactly people like you; Germany tries to avoid "importing" the Brazilian virus string with people coming from Brazil, even if in transit only. You really can't blame them - or LH for that matter.
Thank you for your valuable input. You have no idea whatsoever why (or if at all) am I considering to go to Brasil, or if I am using it just for the sake of example. You have no clue how often am I getting tested, yet you are very quick in condemning me and putting me in the very same bag as those who put their vacation above all.

Judge not lest ye be judged.

After all, LH did not cancel the GRU flights, so despite your opinions, there still is a reasonable demand for those flights and guess who - in accordance with the aforementioned restrictions - are now its pax? Definitely not third country citizens. So there is still direct import of Brazilian virus to Germany, like it or not.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 7:06 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Neither Germany nor LH can deny entry to a German national or resident.

Anyone else is fair game.

Your argument goes nowhere. Best to reroute yourself as you will simply be denied boarding and will be stuck in GRU trying to purchase a new ticket on a carrier which routes through a connection point which permits you entry / transit. This may be difficult as there are few countries looking to encourage travel for people who have been in Brazil in the time period prior to arrival and the virus does not make distinctions between formal entry to a location as distinguished from transit.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 7:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
PRG-FRA-GRU
Testing is not enough to ensure that you don't import the virus into Europe.
Experience has shown that many European visitors in Brazil are partying or visiting families (have close contact with the locals), thus, the chance of contracting the virus is very high.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by warakorn
Testing is not enough to ensure that you don't import the virus into Europe.
Experience has shown that many European visitors in Brazil are partying or visiting families (have close contact with the locals), thus, the chance of contracting the virus is very high.
I am not a tourist, let this be said clearly. I am a professional whose work requires travel. I spend my travel time in hotels, offices and airports. Period.

I could have used DUB or LHR as an example, the core of my question would have been the same.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 7:31 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
I spend my travel time in hotels, offices and airports. Period.
This is the perfect place to catch the virus. I am not sure about your citizenship, however, it appears to me that are not allowed to fly PRG-FRA in the first place. At FRA the Bundespolizei is not going to allow you to enter Germany
As PRG-FRA is an intra-Schengen flight, you automatically enter Germany when reaching FRA airport grounds.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by warakorn
This is the perfect place to catch the virus. I am not sure about your citizenship, however, it appears to me that are not allowed to fly PRG-FRA in the first place. At FRA the Bundespolizei is not going to allow you to enter Germany
As PRG-FRA is an intra-Schengen flight, you automatically enter Germany when reaching FRA airport grounds.
As per entry into Germany, that was exactly the second part of my question. Because the German Ministry of Interior explicitly states a transit between flights without leaving the airport as one of the exceptions from the general travel ban from high risk areas (see the second quote in my original post). So the (rather rhetorical, but nevertheless) question is, can LH go above and over of what a government requires?
Old Feb 15, 2021, 7:59 am

Programs: A3 *G, LX *G, AF *S
Here is the link to LH, which @romans has posted in the other thread: https://www.lufthansa.com/xx/en/flight-information.html.

The wording is slightly different to what OP posted above and should clarify that OP is not allowed to take the proposed flight:

Lufthansa is currently only allowed to carry the following booked passengers on departures (or travel commencements) from the countries of the Virus Variant areas:
  • Passengers with German nationality or passengers with a valid residence permit in Germany (upon presentation of a German registration certificate).
  • Passengers of other nationalities but only if they have a connecting flight to a Non-Schengen state (exception: China) and do not leave the transit area in Frankfurt or Munich (Exceptions are journeys started in Portugal, the Czech Republic, Slovakia and Tyrol- here no passengers of other nationalities with connecting flights in Schengen- or Non-Schengen-states are generally permitted)
  • All passengers mentioned in the two points above must present a negative test result (PCR, antigen, RT-LAMP or TMA) at the time of departure, which is not older than 48 hours before the scheduled time of entry in Germany and complete an online registration on the site www.einreiseanmeldung.de (also valid for passenger with a connecting flight)
  • All guests with final destination in Germany must follow the local German quarantine regulations. Information about this can be found here
  • All passengers with a connecting flight to a destination outside Germany must observe the entry regulations of the corresponding destination country in addition to the above-mentioned obligations
Old Feb 15, 2021, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Carpacchio
Here is the link to LH, which @romans has posted in the other thread: https://www.lufthansa.com/xx/en/flight-information.html.

The wording is slightly different to what OP posted above and should clarify that OP is not allowed to take the proposed flight:
OK, this clearly explains it, thanks Carpacchio. I was basing my question on a different source, where there was no mention of what you highlighted in red:

https://lufthansa.travel-regulations...ue&language=en
Old Feb 15, 2021, 11:48 am

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Would this be permitted?

CDG-FRA (overnight) then next day FRA-JFK? EU and US passports, permanent resident France.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 12:23 pm

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
In 2 weeks I am flying ADD-FRA(Ethiopian airlines) and connecting to FRA-BCN. Regardless if I carry a negative PCR test I will not be allowed to enter in Germany for my connecting flight? Spanish passport if this counts for anything.

Thanks,
Old Feb 15, 2021, 12:38 pm

Programs: A3 *G, LX *G, AF *S
Originally Posted by bostontraveler
Would this be permitted?

CDG-FRA (overnight) then next day FRA-JFK? EU and US passports, permanent resident France.
Originally Posted by more4less
In 2 weeks I am flying ADD-FRA(Ethiopian airlines) and connecting to FRA-BCN. Regardless if I carry a negative PCR test I will not be allowed to enter in Germany for my connecting flight? Spanish passport if this counts for anything.

Thanks,
Both France and Ethopia are risk areas - judging from this site: https://lufthansa.travel-regulations.com/?language=en
you should be able to travel as long as you fulfill the regulations for your destination country.

In case of overnight in FRA, I assume you need to register yourself and potentially quarantine since you enter Germany (https://www.lufthansa.com/de/en/entr...ny#risk-levels) - but best to call LH and ask.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 2:36 pm

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Originally Posted by Carpacchio
Both France and Ethopia are risk areas - judging from this site: https://lufthansa.travel-regulations.com/?language=en
you should be able to travel as long as you fulfill the regulations for your destination country.
Thanks very much for the info Carpacchio,

In the same trip I am also spending 2 days in UAE that I understand it is a high incidental area and that might be a problem. I think I will have to contemplate flying back through Ist or similar.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.