Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

HON/SEN/*G lounge guest rules to change from 'same day' to 'same flight' in May 2021

HON/SEN/*G lounge guest rules to change from 'same day' to 'same flight' in May 2021

Old Dec 7, 2020, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.

Across the LH group from 3rd May, 2021 any guest of the HON, SEN , *Gold must be on the same flight as the sponsor, , applies to all LH group lounges globally
Old Dec 7, 2020, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
hmm.. what is the motive of this new restriction? Too many "strangers" (i.e. with no real relation between sponsor and quest) being invited into the lounges?
Old Dec 7, 2020, 2:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Good move to reduce overcrowding.
Old Dec 7, 2020, 2:46 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Good move to reduce overcrowding.
Agree that measures to reduce over-crowding is good, but interested to know how much of a problem this actually was?
Old Dec 7, 2020, 2:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SK AAR
hmm.. what is the motive of this new restriction? Too many "strangers" (i.e. with no real relation between sponsor and quest) being invited into the lounges?
Cost cutting & yes, there must be some cases where the sponsor barely knows the guest
Old Dec 7, 2020, 2:53 am

Originally Posted by chris63
Cost cutting & yes, there must be some cases where the sponsor barely knows the guest
I guess the number of blind dates, guesting in strangers into the lounges, is pretty small. On the other hand, the number of people inviting colleagues on the same business trip into the lounge is quite significant. On almost all my lounge visits I bring a colleague who will leave on a different flight.

Very clear... cost cutting. And again a blatant breach of the Star Alliance Lounge Access Policy which clearly says:
Originally Posted by https://www.staralliance.com/en/lounge-access-policy
You are entitled to bring one guest travelling on any Star Alliance flight departing from the same airport on the same day.
Old Dec 7, 2020, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave_C
Agree that measures to reduce over-crowding is good, but interested to know how much of a problem this actually was?
Hard to see it as a big problem, the lounge meet up thread was hardly on fire 🔥 however they are looking at saving everything they can in the current climate

Biggest saving will likely be at LX In ZRH where HON could guest pax into the FCL’s provided they had a same day *A BP
hugolover likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2020, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fassy
I guess the number of blind dates, guesting in strangers into the lounges, is pretty small. On the other hand, the number of people inviting colleagues on the same business trip into the lounge is quite significant. On almost all my lounge visits I bring a colleague who will leave on a different flight.

Very clear... cost cutting. And again a blatant breach of the Star Alliance Lounge Access Policy which clearly says:
Yes, colleagues departing on another flight is the bummer & that's been the case for HON’s at MUC & FRA for a long time
lhrpete and hugolover like this.
Old Dec 7, 2020, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What does it say about LH when it stops you from guesting your wife/partner, significant other on your (hard) earned Gold status when they are taking another flight?

I think it tells you everything about their attitudes.
lhrpete, Grog, chris63 and 3 others like this.
Old Dec 7, 2020, 5:36 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Whether it’s a business partner or a family member, HON Circle Members, Senators and Star Gold passengers may continue to take travel companions with them into Lufthansa Group lounges and Star Alliance lounges worldwide in accordance with the current rules. From 3 May 2021, these travel companions must travel on the same flight.

Information at a glance

• Valid for all Lufthansa, Austrian Airlines and SWISS lounges
  • Valid for all Star Alliance airline lounges worldwide
  • Applies to HON Circle Members, Senators and Star Gold passengers
  • All travel companions must travel on the same flight
Strange, must be a coordinated *A thing, otherwise the *A text doesn't make sense.
Old Dec 7, 2020, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Strange, must be a coordinated *A thing, otherwise the *A text doesn't make sense.
If that’s the case, *A have yet to update any policy change on their website
Old Dec 7, 2020, 6:11 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by hugolover
What does it say about LH when it stops you from guesting your wife/partner, significant other on your (hard) earned Gold status when they are taking another flight?

I think it tells you everything about their attitudes.
What difference does it make if it's your partner, best friend, closest work colleague, etc? I can see an argument for work colleagues huddling up in the lounge after a client meeting and then flying home to different cities more than I can see one for taking your wife in because she is flying to one city while you are flying to another. How often does this even happen?
Old Dec 7, 2020, 6:38 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
Originally Posted by LondonElite
What difference does it make if it's your partner, best friend, closest work colleague, etc? I can see an argument for work colleagues huddling up in the lounge after a client meeting and then flying home to different cities more than I can see one for taking your wife in because she is flying to one city while you are flying to another. How often does this even happen?
I don't think it matters how often it happens, what matters is that it's a (further) downgrade of the *G benefits. You get lounge access with another regardless of the flight they are leaving on as a OW Sapphire never mind an Emerald.
chris63, Dover2Golf, Lefly and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 7, 2020, 6:54 am

I guess the only time I've ever used this benefit it's been via a NSFW location based social networking app for gay men! I'll be disappointed that the benefit has gone, but I guess it's not the end of the world!
chris63, JonoVK, hugolover and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 7, 2020, 8:29 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by chris63
If that’s the case, *A have yet to update any policy change on their website
Well, LH hasn't updated their site either, because its going into effect in 5 months? This has to be a *A wide move... otherwise the *A/*G part doesn't make sense.
chris63 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.