Old Nov 23, 2020, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
10/20% off Europe flights Discountpass

Worth it?

https://milesandmore-discountpass.com/

Last edited by oliver2002; Dec 24, 2020 at 3:43 pm
Old Nov 23, 2020, 1:35 pm

Assuming the site is legit (is it, the url looks... fishy?)... it is simple math.

10% off = 150€ = need to book for more than 1.500€ and you make a profit. Same for the 20% voucher.
Old Nov 23, 2020, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fassy
Assuming the site is legit (is it, the url looks... fishy?)... it is simple math.

10% off = 150€ = need to book for more than 1.500€ and you make a profit. Same for the 20% voucher.
When the FARE BASIS is more than €1500, taxes and scam fees (In Helga speak "International Surcharge") are excluded.

Actually its more complicated than this, they take the amount from the total price, but then the discount can only be applied to the fare basis. Hence if your discount was say 20 EUR and the fare was 10 EUR they would not discount the fare to be negative.
Old Nov 23, 2020, 1:48 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK E+, LH Sen, Accor Plat, Base level: AF, AS, DL, Hilton, IHG
It is legit - I got an email direct from M&M too.

And not valid on light fares, so unless you always take hold luggage, depending on the overall fare, that negates a chunk of the saving. Maybe, possibly, worth it for small businesses that expect a lot more travel in the next year, but on the other hand, there is a minimum three day or Saturday night restriction too, s probably not that attractive to business users.
After an initial "oh what is this" my interest rapidly cooled upon reading the email.
Shuttle
Old Nov 23, 2020, 10:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bobhope2
Worth it?
Not for me.

• Long haul excluded
  • Eco light excluded
  • One ways excluded
  • 3+ nights or Saturday night stay required
  • No rebate on extra passengers in the booking nor or ancillaries such as ASR or extra baggage
  • Must book through milesandmore-discountpass.com, no other direct booking channels allowed
  • For private flights only -> no invoice provided
  • Reduced mileage earning (lower base fare -> lower mileage earning in revenue-based system)
  • No purely domestic tickets within Austria, Switzerland, or Italy.
  • Flight changes or cancellations, if allowed by fare rules, only via dedicated email or you lose the rebate -> a joke in covid times
  • Only flights op. by LH/OS/LX on LH/OS/LX ticket stock (with exception of LH marketed, EN op. and LX marketed, WK op. short hauls)

The restrictions implied by the last bullet point I find particularly severe. You can't use this if your itinerary involves, say, a leg on EW, SK, A3, SN or LO. As you can't use this for flights involving DB op- segments, you can't use the air rail trick, which often provides saving far in excess of 10%/20%. IMO, the air rail trick is by far the most important strategy to save money on LH's intra-European short hauls. The last bullet point also means you cannot book through an OTA or an agent, which is sometimes required as you can't construct the best fare using the direct booking channel.

The reduced mileage earning also substantially cuts the effective rebate. I'm looking at a fairly standard weekend ticket ZRH-LHR return in Eco Classic. Costs CHF 223 total, sum of base fare and YQ is CHF 122. Usual mileage earning (assuming FTL+) is 732 miles. Goes down to 462 if you use the 20% rebate. Assuming a mile is worth CHF 0.02, that effectively reduces the value of your rebate by around 10%. Ofc, the hit is smaller if you value miles less. The hit is bigger at times during which LH group runs higher-mileage multiplier promos.

It also seems unlikely this can be stacked with voucher codes. (To use an LH voucher, you must book on lufthansa.com. To use the rebate, you must book on milesandmore-discountpass.com. So it's impossible to satisfy both requirements at the same time. It remains to be seen if the terms will be enforced.)
cas_de, Shuttle and San Gottardo like this.

Last edited by flyertalker28120; Nov 23, 2020 at 11:14 pm
Old Nov 24, 2020, 5:19 am

Programs: M&M FTL (*Silver), KLM/AF blue
Originally Posted by funkydrummer
Not for me.

Long haul excluded
  • Eco light excluded
  • One ways excluded
  • 3+ nights or Saturday night stay required
  • No rebate on extra passengers in the booking nor or ancillaries such as ASR or extra baggage
  • Must book through milesandmore-discountpass.com, no other direct booking channels allowed
  • For private flights only -> no invoice provided
  • Reduced mileage earning (lower base fare -> lower mileage earning in revenue-based system)
  • No purely domestic tickets within Austria, Switzerland, or Italy.
  • Flight changes or cancellations, if allowed by fare rules, only via dedicated email or you lose the rebate -> a joke in covid times
  • Only flights op. by LH/OS/LX on LH/OS/LX ticket stock (with exception of LH marketed, EN op. and LX marketed, WK op. short hauls)
.)
There are some more points worth noting:
- All flights will be priced in Euro - hence for Swiss residents you need add a foreign transaction surcharge (up to 2.5% depending on credit card)
- Not possible to include other persons in the booking even without rebate - hence: if you travel with your children/ significant other: they will end up on different booking. Chance that you are not sitting together is high. In case of irregularities you risk of being rebooked separately and not necessarily a on the same flights.

One wonders whom this is targeted for: Obviously not for flyer who travel for business, but also not for the typical leisure / family flyers (no possibility to book groups)... the only target group I see is the typical flyer who every week flies the same week, books long ahead and rarely changes travel pattern.

For me the real killer is that it is not possible to contact them by phone - I mean: you need to send them an e-mail providing your phone number so they can phone you back... If have my doubts this will work out...
flyertalker28120 likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2020, 5:44 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Once the ticket is issued you can contact LH as if it was booked on LH.com. I suppose this is an experiment just like the flight pass initiative they had a few years ago.
Old Nov 24, 2020, 6:27 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
This would have been convenient if it allowed longhaul discounts (even at higher price point) or higher discounts of higher fare brackets, eg C,D,F 30% and P 10%...
Old Nov 24, 2020, 2:09 pm

Programs: M&M FTL (*Silver), KLM/AF blue
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Once the ticket is issued you can contact LH as if it was booked on LH.com. I suppose this is an experiment just like the flight pass initiative they had a few years ago.
Yes you can. But if you rebook you will be upfared to the price wihtout the 10/20 rebate. The FAQ are crystal clear on this

What happens if I change my booking in a different way than the one described here, e.g. via LH.com?

In this case you would lose your entitlement to the discount. The Discount Pass is only applicable to flight bookings made via milesandmore-discountpass.com or in case of rebookings only via our service team, which you can reach by email at [email protected]
Old Nov 24, 2020, 2:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Once the ticket is issued you can contact LH as if it was booked on LH.com. I suppose this is an experiment
Sure. And I don't have to criticize anything about the experiment per se. Clearly, some flyers may benefit from this.

It's good, though, we have the forum to decipher the fine print and discuss the pros and cons. For example, at first sight, I didn't realize the 10% package is completely superfluous. It took a post on VFT for me to notice.
Old Dec 15, 2020, 1:31 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Discount Pass

Either 10 or 20% off fares in J and Y in Europe
3k passes being sold
Payable cash or with miles
Valid for 1 year

Discount Pass (milesandmore-discountpass.com)
chris63 likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 2:21 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

New version of the discount pass:

Discount Pass

10 Prozent oder 20 Prozent Preisnachlass bei Lieblingszielen innerhalb Europas

Ende Mai ist der Discount Pass in die nächste Runde gegangen und Teilnehmende mit Wohnsitz in der EU-27 oder der Schweiz erhalten in einem Zeitraum von 12 Monaten ab Kauf einen Discount von bis zu 20 Prozent auf ihre Flugbuchungen innerhalb Europas. Gewählt werden kann zwischen einem Pass mit zehn Prozent Rabatt für 149 Euro oder 30.000 Meilen und einem Pass mit 20 Prozent Rabatt zum Preis von 349 Euro oder 70.000 Meilen.

Der jeweilige Rabatt bezieht sich auf den Bruttopreis des Flugtickets.

Aktionszeitraum: ein Jahr ab Kauf des Discount Passes

Buchbar sind das Angebot sowie die damit verbundenen Flüge exklusiv hier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.