Buy on board coming to LH/OS/LX/EN regional flights in 2021

Old Nov 18, 2020, 4:02 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Indeed the gap between the "full service" airlines and the LCCs is narrowing to the point where people will be doing more and more of just that. It's just that old customer habits tend to be sticky and that there may still be a greater convenience factor in flying with the "full service" airlines than in flying with the LCCs.
Well, as for myself, I am starting to wonder whether it's worth to try and requalify next year... At least I hope they'll go the LOT way, that is minimal service included (water and coffee) and not full-on Ryanair style BoB only.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 4:47 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The minimal free service is a small water bottle and a cookie (or similar). Everything else will need to be purchased.
bluesaturn likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 5:31 am
Suspended

nevermind

Last edited by flyertalker28120; Nov 18, 2020 at 5:40 am
Old Nov 18, 2020, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Originally Posted by FlyEndeavorAir
Folks, please vote with your wallets and just fly a ULCC like Easyjet/ryanair/Wizz on shorter European flights, at least you get an extremely cheap base fare for basically the same experience.
Well, they've got me by the danglers because I need the segments, which are quite cheap and easy to get in Europe. But now I think about, the new system should begin in 2022 and we might not need so many sectors, depending how often one can book business class.

My other point is, the LCCs have behaved appallingly during the Corona thing and I don't want to give them any custom.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 6:41 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
I've never eaten what passes for food in short-haul economy, and rarely drink anything, so this doesn't feel like a huge loss for me. On the other hand, taking an LLC doesn't make a lot of sense since I value lounge access, priority lanes, and tier 1 airport departures, so I won't be taking RyanAir anytime soon because LH decides to charge for the food. I suppose I'm more puzzled that they would charge money for such low quality? I remember when United started to charge for their meal boxes, it was boxes pretty much just containing carbs and sugar.
Koby likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 7:32 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Originally Posted by sophialite
I suppose I'm more puzzled that they would charge money for such low quality?
I'm not. But I am puzzled that somebody would pay for it!
Greg45, lhrpete, chris63 and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oliver2002
The minimal free service is a small water bottle and a cookie (or similar). Everything else will need to be purchased.
You can't be serious? This must be a mistake. They're going to handle out millions of plastic small water bottles and this is supposed to be sustainable and better for the environment?
lhrpete and NewAtlantis like this.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sophialite
I remember when United started to charge for their meal boxes, it was boxes pretty much just containing carbs and sugar.
Which became a new free benefit to 1Ks!

Originally Posted by hugolover
You can't be serious? This must be a mistake. They're going to handle out millions of plastic small water bottles and this is supposed to be sustainable and better for the environment?
Unlike the millions of plastic small cups that they hand out?
Old Nov 18, 2020, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
As I've always maintained, the BoB thing is fine for point to point travel which is how LCCs operate. But when we're talking about a major airline offering a connecting service to and from all points of the globe, as well as to and from the poorer parts of Europe as well as serving the richer countries, I think it's a bit off.
Who, except Swiss and Norwegians, are going to be able to afford the ridiculous Swiss prices that SWISS will be asking for its BoB? The only way that I could accept the idea of BoB on Geneva flights was that most of those flights are actually point to point OD flights, not connecting to and from an intercontinental service. Here, as I understood it, they were going head to head with easyJet, which is really intelligent and smart as we all know.

For those who don't give a toss about having any food on their flights (and I have ended up jolly hungry on intercontinental connecting flights with no time to get something between flights) I am happy for you. But for a lot of travellers, it's going to make it a horrible experience for them. And hungry people are more tetchy and less patient, so I hope we don't end up with all the behaviour issues that seem to be happening on a regular basis on US domestic flights. Razor thin margins on European flights, I hear you say? For heaven's sake, just raise the ticket prices by 5 Euros and offer something that befits a full service connecting carrier. A tea and a biscuit would cost a lot less than 5 Euros.
lhrpete, TAP-A343 and londonba2014 like this.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 3:58 pm

Even if you increase a ticket by 5EUR, the food won't be better. See the menu on a SN flight. LH doesn't have a USP anymore when having a competition on routes where LCC are flying too. C lounges by LH are overrated. Okay, it is better than sitting in front of the gate, but is it worth the money if the connections are so short, that a lounge visit is not possible?
I could also argue that LH should attract more passengers to increase its revenue.
lhrpete and londonba2014 like this.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 4:04 pm

At the LH Group airline hubs, are there any retailers that sell kimchi for on-board consumption? Enough of that being eaten on board LG Group airlines' short-haul flights may be just enough to cause a customer revolt over this customer-unfriendly change by LH group airlines.
Fast food like McD, BurgerKing is a real treat and so is luke warm soft cheese on bread.
How did I hate the late nights trains from London going east with many people eating fast food on board the trains?

Indeed the gap between the "full service" airlines and the LCCs is narrowing to the point where people will be doing more and more of just that.
I don't see the difference anymore where LH has competition on routes where LCCs are flying. But it was easier to deal with LH on German soil when LH did not want to pay.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by funkydrummer
And it will most certainly encourage pax to bring smelly cheese or egg sandwiches or smelly McD food on board. Not good.
Bread with cheese is a staple in German cuisine. Luckily, we don't have to pay for the air we breathe.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 4:13 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by bluesaturn
Fast food like McD, BurgerKing is a real treat and so is luke warm soft cheese on bread.

How did I hate the late nights trains from London going east with many people eating fast food on board the trains?
My President and his favorite daughter have a history of loving fast food. Let's just say that I'm glad I'm not in vehicles with that special McD stink as often as the poor US Secret Service

Originally Posted by bluesaturn
I don't see the difference anymore where LH has competition on routes where LCCs are flying. But it was easier to deal with LH on German soil when LH did not want to pay.
There is indeed still a convenience factor involved in dealing with LH rather than suffering the LCCs. I had more than my fair share of LCC Air Berlin being a pain with EC 261/2004 claims while LH was a relative walk in the park for those claims.
Old Nov 19, 2020, 2:22 am

There is indeed still a convenience factor involved in dealing with LH rather than suffering the LCCs. I had more than my fair share of LCC Air Berlin being a pain with EC 261/2004 claims while LH was a relative walk in the park for those claims.
My experience is that it was easier to deal legally with a very good German lawyer with LH than with LCCs outside of Germany. I have no experience with AirBerlin. But is this the new USP of LH?
Old Nov 19, 2020, 4:59 am

Programs: LH Miles&More, TP Miles&Go Silver
Shame on you, LH Group!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.