Wiki Posts
Search

LH missed connection re-routing

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2020, 5:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: IC Amb, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, EY E+, UA*G, BA Gold
Question LH missed connection re-routing

Hi everyone, I've searched the forum to find a lot of threads about LH missed connections at FRA and MUC, but nothing that seems to cover this particular case:

I have a tight connection at FRA Wednesday morning. If I miss the connecting flight because of an LH operational or security/immigration delay, do I have the right to choose which flight I am rebooked on, or will I be assigned a flight automatically and forced to accept it?

The reason that I'm asking is the flight I'm arriving on is typically delayed very often, and if it happens to be delayed this time, I'll jump at the opportunity to spend a few days in Frankfurt as I've never actually been downtown... I'd then want to rebook the remaining segments of the itinerary (the originally missed connection) for a few days later, effectively turning this missed connection into a layover.

In the eyes of LH, is this allowed?
Old Oct 10, 2020, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Is the transfer Schengen->Schengen, Non-Schengen->Schengen, Schengen->Non-Schengen or Non-Schengen->Non-Schengen?
Old Oct 10, 2020, 9:20 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
In general, no, you can't decide on a connecting flight a few days later. You will be rebooked according to what is available/suitable. Assume the next flight. Are you permitted to enter Germany? Is this on a single ticket?
Old Oct 10, 2020, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
In general, no, you can't decide on a connecting flight a few days later. You will be rebooked according to what is available/suitable. Assume the next flight. Are you permitted to enter Germany? Is this on a single ticket?
It's non-Schengen to Schengen. Yes, EU passport holder. It's a return journey (two segments outbound, three segments return), this is the first and second segment of the return via FRA.

Last edited by Errata; Oct 10, 2020 at 1:54 pm
Old Oct 10, 2020, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
You can ask, but most likely LH will refuse to rebook you to "a few days later". You will have to take the next available (direct) flight (or any indirect flights if you prefer this option).
Often1 likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2020, 4:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The only time this seems to work quite easily is if you misconnect to the last flight of the night and the first flight out in the morning is very early. If you want to sleep in, it is worth asking LH for the later flight.

With some more details, people here might be able to provide some suggestions.
Old Oct 10, 2020, 11:02 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Looks like I’ll have to schedule the stopover when booking one time I’m passing through Frankfurt rather than trying this approach in the event of a missed connection
Old Oct 11, 2020, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Errata
Thanks everyone. Looks like I’ll have to schedule the stopover when booking one time I’m passing through Frankfurt rather than trying this approach in the event of a missed connection
Yes, that would be advisable as otherwise it will be extremely unlikely that you will get a stopover at FRA. First of all it is rather unlikely that you miss your connecting flight at FRA (actually LH is quite good at ensuring that pax get on their onward flights, in particular now when pax are much fewer) and secondly it is extremely unlikely that LH will accommodate to you book you on any other flight that than the first available)
Often1 likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 10:40 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH, SEN, RJ Platinum, ALL Diamond, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Re-Route to other airlines?

I have a connection of 75min, which should be fine. However, in case i miss it because of late incoming flight will LH rebook me to other airlines?
Flight it to KWI and they don't fly daily so, wondering if in case I miss it I will need to wait for 2 days until next one or will they rebook me to any other airline flying there?
Old Jan 25, 2022, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In case of IRROPS LH staff at FRA will rebook OAL ; don't worry. If it happens, research possible connections yourself before approaching the LH transfer desk for rebooking.

Anyway, the chance that you will miss your onward flight with 75m at FRA is very low. Your incoming flight needs to be seriously late (more than 30m)
Atlantico likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 11:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Atlantico
I have a connection of 75min, which should be fine. However, in case i miss it because of late incoming flight will LH rebook me to other airlines?
Flight it to KWI and they don't fly daily so, wondering if in case I miss it I will need to wait for 2 days until next one or will they rebook me to any other airline flying there?
I think they would be ok to rebook you to LH Group airlines in the first instance.
Atlantico likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 8:39 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
I have a similar question.

I am considering booking KBP-FRA-EDI with only 45 minutes at FRA, which is the MCT. The FRA-EDI flight is the last flight of the day. In the event a missed connection I'd really not want to overnight at FRA . There are other options later in the day (LH + AF or AF + AF). Is LH easy about rebooking onto other carriers when there are no other options on LH Group on the same day?
Old Jan 26, 2022, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Andriyko
I have a similar question.

I am considering booking KBP-FRA-EDI with only 45 minutes at FRA, which is the MCT. The FRA-EDI flight is the last flight of the day. In the event a missed connection I'd really not want to overnight at FRA . There are other options later in the day (LH + AF or AF + AF). Is LH easy about rebooking onto other carriers when there are no other options on LH Group on the same day?
No. You will be rebooked on the first available LH flight the following day. LH doesn't care if a overnight stay will be required (and needs to be paid for LH; not an issue).
You might opt to be rebooked to NCL or other UK LH destination if such later flights exists.
Andriyko likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

NCL is earlier, some days it doesn’t operate and useless for EDI. GLA is better.

In previous years I’ve been rebooked FRA-LHR and LHR-GLA on the Worlds Favourite Airline.
Andriyko likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.